trials modifications

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
cuzncletus

trials modifications

Post by cuzncletus »

I've just bought a 73 Wombat, what I wish was one of the euphemistic "barn finds" but has actually been sitting outside in a back yard for over 10 years. It is currently frozen up but I've unfrozen some pretty stuck stuff in my time. We'll see what the autopsy shows.

My plans are to make it into a trials bike. I need info on what shocks, forks, frame mods, etc. are needed to make it semi competitive in vintage twin shock classes. All input will be appreciated.
Bruce Young

Re: trials modifications

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, there is a old Hodaka bulletin and how to instructions on how to set up a Hodaka for Trials call me or send me you contact info and I will send you a copy to get started. I want to point out its pretty old info so it may not exactly be for your model of Hodaka, but it has a lot of suggestions, and a good beginning. Plus, we have lots of Hodaka Trials guys out there that have built or building right now Trials bikes, I am sure you will hear from some of those guys soon. Good Luck, Bruce Young, Have you blank notepad ready.
1--208--571--2823 Hodakapartsidaho
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

You might check my post below "Day One-New Project" where over several months I built a trials/trail bike from an Ace 100. Some of it was based on the Hodaka bulletin from the past mentioned by Bruce. It can be accessed at Hodaka-parts.com under Hodaka Library.

Mine turned out to be more trail than trials and is currently undergoing further exhaust modifications or at least I'm talking about it. My first attempt used a 94 Wombat pipe with a lengthened custom header pipe which only showed minimal torque gains at best. It was also somewhat heavy. Now the plan is to cut up the 94 pipe and construct a trials muffler or maybe just fit some aftermarket thing. All up in the air at this point. There's several pictures and ideas below that might be helpful in your quest to build a trials type bike. Feel free to chime in with exhaust ideas or other input. I hope this helps and keep us posted on the project!

Max
Attachments
Trials exhaust ideas early on.
Trials exhaust ideas early on.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Thanks Max, I was hoping my post might draw you out, and give this person some great ideas and the bike of which you created. Its a wonderful feeling, when you stand back at an end of project and tell yourself you did it your way. Keep up the good work and stay safe. Bruce Young Keep the pictures of your projects coming.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Here is an example of what I have done for several guys with wombat trials bikes , I add a victory port exactly like in a combat wombat cylinder and use a combat wombat piston also , this is a huge plus for bottom end pull , I have done this for Jay Lael , as well as Leo Stinnett who won the Two shock nationals in Fl with it , done some for Bill Cook also.

Rich
Attachments
100_1071.JPG
100_1070.JPG
cuzncletus

Post by cuzncletus »

[quote="racerclam"]Here is an example of what I have done for several guys with wombat trials bikes , I add a victory port exactly like in a combat wombat cylinder and use a combat wombat piston also , this is a huge plus for bottom end pull , I have done this for Jay Lael , as well as Leo Stinnett who won the Two shock nationals in Fl with it , done some for Bill Cook also.

I met Leo Stinnett when I went to look at his TY 250. Super nice guy. I'm about Leo's age so it's encouraging to see some of us still wanting to go play in the dirt instead of paddling around "On Golden Pond." This is all a new endeavor for me. I've built cars my whole adult life but have never turned a wrench on a motorcycle though I've been riding for almost 50 years.
cuzncletus

Post by cuzncletus »

[quote="racerclam"]Here is an example of what I have done for several guys with wombat trials bikes , I add a victory port exactly like in a combat wombat cylinder and use a combat wombat piston also , this is a huge plus for bottom end pull , I have done this for Jay Lael , as well as Leo Stinnett who won the Two shock nationals in Fl with it , done some for Bill Cook also.

I met Leo Stinnett when I went to look at his TY 250. Super nice guy. I'm about Leo's age so it's encouraging to see some of us still wanting to go play in the dirt instead of paddling around "On Golden Pond." This is all a new endeavor for me. I've built cars my whole adult life but have never turned a wrench on a motorcycle though I've been riding for almost 50 years.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

One where are you located ? You might have another Hodaka member near you. Two if you join the Hodaka club for $25 you will have access to back issues of the club newsletter, there you will find 3 articles on building a trials bike. They are in Volume 1 issue 6, 1-13,2-1 and 2-2

Here is a photo of mine that also has a write up in the newsletter
DSCN6849.JPG
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Nice Kelly

Rich