Clutch cage nut

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

Clutch cage nut

Post by Hosk1956 »

I ideas on how to undo this clutch cage nut on my 250ED, has me a bit baffled how to hold stuff firm while undoing it.

Wayne from Oz
P1030926 (Medium).JPG
olddogs

Re: Clutch cage nut

Post by olddogs »

A quick jolt from an air/electric impact gun should pop it right off. You can usually just hold the clutch with a rag to keep from slicing your fingers, or use a rubber oil filter style strap wrench. The only thing I cant remember is if the 250 is a left or right hand thread. The 125 clutch is a left handed thread, but it is mounted to the crank. Someone will have to chime in on the right direction to remove it.
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

olddogs wrote:A quick jolt from an air/electric impact gun should pop it right off. You can usually just hold the clutch with a rag to keep from slicing your fingers, or use a rubber oil filter style strap wrench. The only thing I cant remember is if the 250 is a left or right hand thread. The 125 clutch is a left handed thread, but it is mounted to the crank. Someone will have to chime in on the right direction to remove it.
Going by direction of rotation I would say it is RH thread, the main drive gear to the right is LH thread, I got that undone but the clutch one is tougher, I shall try an impact gun this arvo.

Wayne from Oz.
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Nuts off, rattle gun did the trick, twas a RH thread.

Wayne from Oz.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Um, what is an "arvo"? :-) I've been running that one around in my head and have come up with a few guesses, but I'd like the translation from Aussie to Yank please :-)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Thunderdogdownunder

Post by Thunderdogdownunder »

Afternoon ☺
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Hmmm, I was headed wayeeeeee off base. I had been trying to come up with some sort of semi-derogatory reference heavily tinged with fondness. Something like the way us Yanks (especially Southerners) live by the rule that you can say just almost anything about almost anyone . . . as long as the comment ends with the phrase, " . . . , Bless his heart." :-)

Ed
Bert44

Post by Bert44 »

I’d need a fortnight if I didn’t use an air rattle gun on some of my bikes!! :D
Bert
1968 Ace 100
94 & 94A Wombat
JackM

Post by JackM »

Hey Bert, you may have to explain to some of these guys what a fortnight is too. I know, but only because I spent 2 years in the UK.
Thunderdogdownunder

Post by Thunderdogdownunder »

Yeah its a piece of piss when you use an air rattle gun ☺
vmxken

Post by vmxken »

Ed, I'm surprised you didn't come across the word arvo when you were 'in town' so to speak. It's often run together with other words like 'this' for example. as in 'Are you right to come down the pub thesarvo? Naturally, there's only one correct response to the question.
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Sorry Bullfrog, I have been too busy to respond but I see the other Aussie has come thru with a translation! Yes an arvo is this afternoon.
I borrowed the rattle gun but I see I am going to have to buy one, to answer in true Aussie venacular, 'bloody handy tool mate, it did a beaut job'.
The one correct response to 'come down to the pub this arvo' would be either 'who's buying' or 'as long as you shout'! mmmm, that's 2 correct responses!

Wayne from Oz
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

While I didn't pick up on "arvo" while "in town" . . . and I may not use the term "shout" fluidly, I do know enough to be sure that if I said something like, "Its my shout, where can we go?" . . . I'd find myself in pub lickety-split! :-)
Ed
PS: I heard it has been a little toasty weather-wise in suburbs of Sidney recently. Something like 47degrees (117 degrees F!) Is 100 Lashes good in that weather? (Trick question - it is ALWAYS good. :-) )
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Too funny Captain!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

DOH! I over ran my Aussie "insider knowledge"! The beer I asked about for hot weather refreshment is actually One Hundred Fifty Lashes! (But it still is ALWAYS good.)
Ed
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

One Hundred Fifty Lashes is a Pale Ale of which I am not a fan, I haven't tried that staple, but any cold beer on a hot day is welcome to run past my taste palate! I am a rum man, Bunderberg or Bundy Rum is my preferred intoxicating refreshment.
Getting back to my motor rebuild, I have split the case halves and have the crank out, now to work out what I am going to do, the damage doesn't look as bad with crank out, maybe some linishing will smooth the surface enough.
The one gear I can't get of its shaft is oil pump drive gear on the end of oil pump drive shaft, I have removed the circlip but the gear won't pull off, my gear puller is too bulky to get around the gear. I have left all of that intact in the RH engine case for now, I suppose it can stay there but I would like to be able to get it out for a thorough inspection and clean.
Time for some Bundy and coke.

Wayne

PS, that is coke as in cola, not the stuff some dead heads snort thru a straw (evidently).