Newbie and a question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dbryant61

Newbie and a question

Post by dbryant61 »

Hello and thanks for allowing me in. I had a '74 (I think) Ace 100 B+ as a teenager. I promptly discarded the lights and installed a plastic front fender, knobbies, and Bassani expansion chamber; much to my Dad's chagrin. I had to pass it on when I was in college. So now, nearly 40 years later, I'm thinking about getting one again.

Other background: I race sportscars at an amateur level with NASA-MidAtlantic and all/most of my mechanic/body shop/paint time needs to be spent on building, preparing, and repairing the race car.

I'm thinking about buying a Hodaka (not married to the ACE, like all of them) for nostalgia and as a paddock bike. I'd like to get a Honda Trail 70 or similar, but I'm 6' 1" and carrying some bonus pounds and I'd rather not look like a circus bear on a tricycle. I see basket cases, rust buckets, bikes with locked up engines going for $300-500; and fully restored bikes for $2500-3500. I think I want something in between with all the running gear working, just needing upholstery, cables, levers etc. I'm also limited in location. I'm in Va. Beach, VA, so I'll be focusing on east coast - maybe as far west as Ohio, KY, TN.

Please tell me what you think, and thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Don
thrownchain

Re: Newbie and a question

Post by thrownchain »

Dirt squirt would be a good choice. I know what you mean about being to big for a small bike. I have a ttr 125 I ride around Mid Ohio, small enuff to be fun, big enuff so I don't look too out of place riding it. Working on a Ace 100 motored bike to replace the ttr.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Don, Well, they're all old. They're all unique in some way. Most have been messed with in some negative way but not all. Most parts are available and advice is readily had. Somewhat expensive to build but what isn't. Kinda like a VW Beetle, something you eventually get to know personally. Not your everyday motorcycle. Certain people will stop and talk with you even with just a Hodaka shirt or hat. Nostalgic for sure especially if you've previously owned one rather than just lusted for one decades ago. Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'll probably come up with more info as I think about it. Did I mention big fun? Add that. I hope this helps. Kinda silly but telling it as it is. (Or as it was actually). Always available for Hodaka advice. Good luck in your search!

Max :)
dbryant61

Post by dbryant61 »

Thanks guys. Thrown chain, by small I was referring to the Honda Trail 70. All of the Hodakas i’ve seen are larger and the right size for what I want. Max, the fun factor
and uniqueness are why I am looking here. I’ll be shopping.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I’ve rebuilt the following:

A Model 03 Rolling Chassis with a Model94/95 Motor combo. A 125 with a bigger frame & wheels.

Also 2 Road Toad Model 99s. One with stock wheels (green) and one with a bigger front wheel (red).

And lastly, a 1971 Ace 100 B+. Smaller frame & wheels.

All have their +’s & -‘s but the 125 Model 03 has a bigger frame, forks & wheels.

There’s also a more rare 175SL Model 61, and two, 250 models, an SL (Model 70) & an ED (Model 71). Both have bigger frames & wheels as well. :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
Model 03 Wombat with Model 94/95 motor
Model 03 Wombat with Model 94/95 motor
Road Toad Model 99
Road Toad Model 99
Road Toad Model 99
Road Toad Model 99
Ace 100 B+
Ace 100 B+

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I know what you meant. I've got a Z 50 Honda, would not ride it around mid Ohio.
dbryant61

Post by dbryant61 »

Victor, those are some beautiful builds. Thrownchain, my reasons were a little lost in too many words. Glad you “got it”.

There are two Wombats and a Super Rat within driving distance, but all in rust-bucket condition. I’ll probably pick one up over the winter and start with an engine rebuild and wiring. May drive it in “Rat-rod” shape for a bit until I decide how far to take the resto.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Know that good rebuilt working order is a necessary thing for just about any machine which has sat unprotected for years.

I’ve done other bikes besides these Hodies. But these have been a different learning curve because of both their age and condition upon arrival.

Take your time and do things correctly the first time. You’ll find passing over on some issues will generally result in a higher cost in time and money later. Don’t ask me how I know this!

Oh, and here’s the before on each bike, in the order posted previously! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
Wombat 125 03 chassis
Wombat 125 03 chassis
Red Road Toad
Red Road Toad
Green Road Toad
Green Road Toad
Ace 100 B+
Ace 100 B+

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

I think you need to decide on whether you want an on road bike or off road only. A full resto is easy and fun, all parts are available with some searching, and refurbishment advice is available here. I did a almost complete renovation on a model 94 Wombat, a full by owner restoration is out of question as the costs are way beyond what it will ever be worth here in Canada. My advice is to find a good running survivor of the model you like and pay what it fair. You will be way ahead financially than building up a basket case piece by piece. You can improve it as you have time and money
Calgary, Canada