New Member Wombat Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Stronger511

New Member Wombat Project

Post by Stronger511 »

Hello all,
I recently scored my first Hodaka! I have been able to learn so much looking at the forum and using the Strickly Hodaka website. I just wanted to post what I have and get some opinions. Looking at the frame number, I believe it is a 1973 Combat Wombat. I bought the bike with a motor in it, and a motor that is more complete. The motor in the bike is not the correct engine to my knowledge, and the other motor I have I believe is a Wombat engine. I do have a few questions about the bike. I don’t think I have the correct tank, I believe the Wombat and Combat Wombat has a chrome gastank. Also, the Wombat engine has black covers on the side of the engine and I have not seen a Wombat engine with these color covers. Lastly, there is a broken piece on the bottom of the cylinder and I am wondering if this can be repaired? I would appreciate any feedback and advice. Thank you for your time! :D
- Mitchell
Attachments
080DAF5D-09B2-40C9-A266-F82AC9494DC9.jpeg
F6DB89DC-A475-4F97-95C7-380315C32957.jpeg
A12CFAFA-7EE9-4FF8-BB4C-DEB67EC50CE8.jpeg
57A1A5EE-EF27-4D7F-9377-356F79B62BEB.jpeg
B2235029-74EC-4533-86D7-44B195B71691.jpeg
2F453C03-F41B-406A-990B-A6664339E87F.jpeg
B34D5DAF-EB6B-4C97-88CE-70C90CABF758.jpeg
D1C6691C-D323-4682-8E3B-56AAAA59109F.jpeg
2D0FBA46-B2EC-4EBD-9997-C6F79088B92A.jpeg
A8B20CAE-B4AD-4CF2-A9D4-15C7EE0AF8FB.jpeg
BrianZ

Re: New Member Wombat Project

Post by BrianZ »

Welcome to the Hodaka community! Your bike looks like a model 94 125 Wombat. What is the frame number? The Combat Wombat will start with a D. Judging by the stator and longish cylinder studs I would say the engine in the frame is a cast iron cylinder 100, either Ace or Dirt Squirt.

The spare engines you have are a model 96 Dirt Squirt and a model 94 Wombat. The broken cylinder could possibly be repaired, but in my opinion you are far better off looking for a good used one.

As you suspect. the black engine is not stock. Someone has been painted them at some point. The same goes with the gas tank. You should find chrome under the paint.

Brian
Last edited by BrianZ on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Welcome aboard!! You have a cool project ahead. You have a tangible example of one of the cool and unique features of the Hodaka concept - parts interchangeability. The P motor originated on one of the Ace series bikes including the chrome tank Dirt Squirts. The H motor came off a M94 or 94a Wombat. The damage extending onto the gasket sealing area is concerning for salvageability of your 123cc cylinder but there are some true wizards that have a steady presence on this site that can just about fix anything who may have another opinion. The tank looks to be from a late model Dirt Squirt and looks to be in excellent condition. It may be a M95 chrome tank that has been painted. The engine cases were probably just painted black. You didn't cite the frame number but I suspect it to be a M94/94a Wombat seeing as how you have a Wombat air box and motor. You can tell right now by looking at the steering head plate. It it says its street legal, it is a Wombat. If it says off road competition only, it is a Combat Wombat frame. There is a frame and engine identifying index on the Strictly Hodaka website for sure and maybe on the sites of HPI and Hodaka Parts as well. Depending on what the base gasket area of your Wombat motor look like, it may be fine for a rebuild. Your best move at this time is to undertake a complete disassembly of the bike down to the nut and bold level followed by a thorough cleaning, inventorying, identifying and frame inspection. Take careful notes, preferably with accompanying photos to assist with the rebuild. Get yourself an official Hodaka Wombat Workshop manual - its an absolute necessity. You'll have superb support every step of the way with the folks who contribute to this forum - I sure have! Also, there is an excellent network of parts houses that support our efforts to keep these insanely cool bikes alive. Try finding all that support for your Jawa, CZ, Monark, Rokon, etc. etc. etc. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!. Remember, its a "BOOGIE MACHINE"!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

A couple more observations:

The front forks are non-stock and they don't appear to be late model Hodaka forks either. It would be interesting to know what they are from and what size the tubes are.

The rubber foot pegs are non-stock and are from an Ace or Super Rat. You Wombat should have steel cleated pegs.

The rear brake backing plate is off a later Hodaka, possibly a Road Toad. It has the nice feature of inspection plugs that allow you to check the brake linings.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Looks like the frame is a 1973 Combat Wombat! It’s a D15XXX frame number! I could see the frame number in the VIN tag from the picture showing the left side of the bike! Congrats on the find!!!

Check your motors for a case serial number starting with a “J.” That would be the correct motor for it.

Here’s a photo of a restored one! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
6846E77D-B411-465E-996D-7CE6461E6B64.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Mitchell,

I don't believe your cylinder is repairable. The broken off part is called the "spigot". It serves double duty. It "centers" the cylinder on the cases AND the skirt of the piston travels all the way down to a point even with the bottom of the spigot so it is an important part of the cylinder wall. I don't believe there is any reasonable way to weld a replacement piece of matching cast iron in place to return the cylinder to service. In addition, it looks like there is a crack in the cylinder wall at the base of the transfer passage. So, I'd have to say you have an interesting paper weight.
Broken cylinder spigot
Broken cylinder spigot
The photo also shows where to look to find cylinder displacement information on Hodaka cylinders. It seems pretty sure you will find a designation of 98cc on this cylinder.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Good eye Victor, that does look like a "D" in the frame number. It doesn't look like there is too much of the Combat Wombat left though. The rims look like chrome plated Wombat items and the front brake backing plate has holes for the brake light switch.

Too bad the bike is not closer to Ontario. I have a spare CW motor, a set of early flanged wheels, an exhaust pipe and part of the airbox. Almost enough parts to complete the bike.

Brian
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Ed. If you check the other photo of the broken spigot, you’ll see the cylinder is marked 123cc. Too bad too!!! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
F889AB07-00B7-4711-8871-F6CE23AA30EA.jpeg
Last edited by viclioce on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Mitchell - I hope you are not getting discouraged, cuz you have a good start on a great riding machine! Now, if you were hoping for a restoration to show room new and full Combat Wombat trim . . . um, being discouraged would be in order.

So here is some information which may cheer you up. The Combat Wombat frame is EXACTLY the same as the Model 94 Wombat frame AND the Model 96 Dirt Squirt frame (except for some misc. bracketry). The model 96 100cc Dirt Squirt (like the one in my garage) may well be the funnest fun bike I own! Note that lots of guys started out with factory stock Hodies and ended up with machines like yours with bits and pieces from several other Hodie models.

On looking at the photos more closely, the biggest problem I see is the forks. I'm not sure the two legs are the same. The leg I can see has an alloy slider . . . but isn't from a Hodie. The other slider doesn't appear to match . . . so I'm not sure what you have there.

You'll need to do some thinkin' to decide whether you want to re-build one of the engine "cores" you have (100cc iron cylinder) - or start searching for a Wombat/Combat Wombat "core" to re-build and install.

Have fun . . . and don't forget - there are lots of guys on this Forum willing to help in any way they can . . . and who are interested in up-dates as the project progresses.
Ed
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Oh! I didn't notice that! And it is pretty hard to miss the 123!

So Mitchell, the engine "bottom end" with the 6mm dia. cylinder studs (I think) appears to be a 100cc "core". If the studs are 6mm, then the engine is 100cc and can be re-built with a 100cc iron cylinder. If the complete engine with the black clutch cover is a 125cc engine . . . then you are well started with either engine size!

Ed
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

DOH! . . . and the "H" on the engine serial number makes it a 125.
Ed
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Let me know if you can’t find another Model 95 Cylinder for your bike. Also, Bruce Young, (Hodakaparts.com) May also be someone to check with. He may have a workable cylinder for you! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

Thank you so much everyone for the valuable information!! I have attached a picture of the frame number and I do believe it is a Combat Wombat Frame. I would like to build the 125cc motor, although I think it would be best to get a new cylinder. I will have to take a closer look at the forks later. I could even post a few more pictures of them. If anyone is selling a 125cc cylinder let me know! Thanks again everyone! :D
Attachments
D8B41B00-0DAA-45BC-AD9A-6B8FD09FE131.jpeg
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

Bullfrog wrote:DOH! . . . and the "H" on the engine serial number makes it a 125.
Ed
Ed,
Thank you for the encouragement! I appreciate it! I do plan on building the 125cc motor for this project. I would also like to try and rebuild the other motor I have at some point down the road. Thank you again!
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

viclioce wrote:Let me know if you can’t find another Model 95 Cylinder for your bike. Also, Bruce Young, (Hodakaparts.com) May also be someone to check with. He may have a workable cylinder for you! :ugeek: Victor
Victor,

Thank you for the information! I am having some trouble finding a cylider. Maybe I could check with Bruce Young to see if he has a workable cylinder. Thank you for your help!
-Mitchell
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Check with Bruce first. If he has one, go for it! If he doesn’t, let me know. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

Victor,
I checked the website and he didn’t have one :?
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

Tonight I started to work on the gas tank. I used some paint stripper and it worked quite well! I was glad to see the chrome underneath the red paint! The tank was scuffed up a little in order for the red paint to stick to it, so I may try to polish it or get it chromed again. I know there is still some paint left on the tank, I ran out of paint thinner :lol:
Attachments
1E5F42AE-2A0A-4EDA-8159-C4984324CFB8.jpeg
5F929B63-CC70-49C1-94BC-CD21CD1F9CD3.jpeg
8A572FAF-BD97-4713-A273-8D9626D3FBAA.jpeg
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Mitchell, My name is Bruce Young, my web site is Hodakapartsidaho.com please give me a phone call 1--208--571--2823. We can talk. I highly recommend as someone else did lets get a Manual, and parts book in your hands as quickly as possible, that should be your first step. You have received lots of great info and suggestions from several of the best Hodaka experts out there, I hope it does not cause confusion. I would like to ask you a few questions and suggest you step back and determine what you are going to use the bike for, show bike, everyday trail rider, race bike and etc, then start with frame and work thru what you have and go up from there. Many of these bikes have thru years been built up from misc pieces, by diff owners and etc. Its hard sometimes to determine exactly what one has when they pick up a few pieces and try to make something better depending on the new owners wants and needs and budget. Give me a call and lets get you off from the beginning. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Bruce's offer to discuss your project is something you ought not miss out on. A primary planning goal is to know where you are going when you start your trip -- and to know what you've got in hand to help you get there.

Since your machine is an amalgam of various Hodie parts from Ace 100 (rubber covered foot pegs) to Combat Wombat frame, to Road Toad(?) rear hub, to Wombat air cleaner . . . and you aren't yet familiar with all things Hodaka . . . Bruce can really help you out.

But before you call Bruce, I'd recommend doing a bit of thinking about what you want to do with the machine after you get it running, cuz you'll do different things if your plan is to go road/trail riding vs. vintage motocross.

Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Mitchell, there's some sage advice from some really great guys. Regarding your tank, two things. First, how cool the tank was preserved by leaving it full of fuel. That will all clean out leaving you a pristine tank. Secondly, from what I can see, that tank should polish out beautifully. A decent drill mounted buffing wheel and polishing compound set will run you about $20 at Harbor Freight and I'd bet that with a little time and elbow grease, you could get mighty close to a show chrome finish on that baby.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Thanks Ed for your additional comments, the new or first time Hodaka Owners, are at a loss, when they pick "something" up to complete a dream to ride a vintage Hodaka. Thanks for your help, so many of the Machines picked up today, have lots of misc parts on them. We in the Hodaka world with a lot or little old school experience need to help them, and remember they just might want to join the Hodaka Club and goe further with their Hodaka experience. Thanks again all you guys for helping this newbie with so many great suggestions so quickly. Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Stronger511

Post by Stronger511 »

Thank you again everyone for the great advice! Bruce, I will definitely be giving you a call soon. I appreciate you offering your help and expertise. I do need to first figure out what I plan on doing with the bike. I am leaning toward hopefully using it for vintage motocross and some occasional trail riding and desert trips. I recently bought a workshop manual for the Wombat and Combat Wombat from the Struckly Hodaka website, and I have a parts list as well. Both have been a huge help. Thank you again everyone for the great advice and encouragement! :D
-Mitchell
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Mitchell, you were being so well taken care of by the Gang that I hadn't made contact. Welcome to the bunch. It looks like you have plenty of things to keep you busy in Hodakaland! Carry on!

Maxie AKA Max
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Danny Cooke had a completely rebuilt and refinished CW motor for sale a few months back...he had it posted on the Freinds of Hodaka Facebook page back in March you may want to check with him.
Bob