"O Sweetness"

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Joe Ormonde

Re: "O Sweetness"

Post by Joe Ormonde »

OK. In the Fun stuff Ads Articles and Videos, lives up To It`s Name, Super Rat Test Report Cycle Guide Guide, May 1970. Look at page 50 and blow it up. How much shinier is the fork tube than the drum? It`s a black and white photo, but you can clearly see that drum glow. How many came polished ? I have no idea. I just know that mine was. Joe Ormonde.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

No put down, I took it as a complement actually. I just wanted to state why I painted the hubs rather than send them off for a ball burnishing. First, like I stated before, they definitely had paint on them along time ago. You even stated your 93A had painted hubs, Painting them I can easily do myself, Then sometimes they are damaged and or corroded and you have to use a little bondo to fill in the bad areas, then the paint hides the repair. This was the case with one of these hubs in my previous pics. With paint they can be easily touched up later if need be.
On one of the bikes I bought in Lubbock, texas recently, it has satin finished hubs, When I restore this bike I will try a satin finish on the hubs using a homemade tumbler I have thought about making for sometime. I will just have to try some different medias until I get the effect I want. Could use a tumbler for engine cases and covers also. You would probably have to tumble one part at a time so as not to damage the parts when they hit each other. But that's ok.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Yes! My rear wheel drum came painted, but the front drum and brake plate came polished. Looking at old photos also show that countless Super Rats came from the factory with the Model 92 brake plate when the schematics show they came with part #909218 which is for the Ace 90. All I was trying to point out is that the most variations on the Model 93A is in the front wheel. You can`t go wrong! Also, my gas tank: If you picked up your gas tank from the chrome shop and it looked like mine did when the bike was brand new, you would have refused it! I asked my older cousin how to get the stains out of the tank. He told me it was the nickle coming through. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, it was a 2! Yes! a 2. The rest of the bike was a 10! Joe Ormonde.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

In a few days I will get another gas tank in from Salt lake chrome. There are quite a few items in addition to the gas tank. I hope they do a good job on that tank like they have in the past. I will post a pic of them when they come in. They do a great job and very reasonable. Thanks Gents
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Just got in some more goodies from Salt lake chrome. Everything looks great, especially that tank. This tank is another one Daniel Gromm removed all the dents from. You cannot tell it was dented. Look at that chrome job salt lake Chrome has done on it. Just gorgeous. Only $200.00. If I tried to get that done in Houston, Texas they would have charged some ridiculous price. Those fork tubes are really nice also. I had some problem with chrome getting on areas where it should not have been, which caused some interference when you go to screw the seal gland onto the fork tube. But I fixed that problem and they will work great now. I will do a post about this problem and how to fix it in the future. That way, if anybody else sends fork tubes off to have them rechromed they will not have this problem. In this batch of parts there are several springs for rear shocks, rear shock spring adjusters, and some washers that go on the rear shocks. I will use them with some Westtek Mfg. shock bodies to build me another pair of 99% model 93 shocks. There is also some rechromed bolts and nuts for triple tree clamps. That tank is really clean inside also. Thanks Guys
Attachments
20171218_184211_001.jpg
20171218_184159_001.jpg
20171218_175729.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Zoom up on that tank to see how nice that baby came out. Man that's nice! I will adhere a couple of badges on it and install petcocks etc. and put it on pretty soon
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Wow!! I have mirrors that don't reflect that well. Does the $200 include dent removal?
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

No, Daniel Gromm of Paintless Dent Removal in Santa Rosa, CA charged me about that much to remove the dents. It had about 6 dents in it, not real big but very noticeable. Plus the rechroming and shipping about $500 at least total cost in it. Inside is real clean, no rust.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Good deal. All my Hodies are riders - warts and all. One of these days I might try for a concourse resto. I'll keep those guys in mind. They have better prices than around these parts.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I must say that I was wrong about super rat front hubs not being polished from the factory at times. Joe Ormonde was right when he said that sometimes the front hub was polished on the 93 super rat as it came from the factory. There is on Ebay two rats for sale and they have front hubs that are polished. Well I learned something new! Joe you were right, I apologize to you sir. Thanks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Clarence, did you ever see a polished front hub on a Hodaka right out of the crate? I'm sure not aware of that happening.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

On one of the Ebay Rats for sale, it states the bike is original and it shows the front hub with a nice shine on it. Joe Ormande says his 93 model came with a front hub polished when he bought it knew. He says he has owned it since he bought he from a dealer years ago. I have investigated this a little further and found additional pics of rats with their front hubs shining also.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I never seen a polished hub out of the crate but I did see a lot of talented folks buffing, polishing and using a little pin striping to dress things up. Cycle mags always showed classic examples of sharp looking Hodakas. ----------- Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I wonder if that was something done at the dealership to provide a little "eye candy"?
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Joe Ormonde had posted previously about buying 6mm bolts that have a plain finish on the heads just like OEM Hodaka 6mm bolts had years ago. He said that Motodad24 sold them on Ebay for about $15.00 for 25 ea. including postage. I ordered about 75 in two different sizes. I need them for my twin Rat resto. Especially for fenders and a few other places. They came in today and take a look, Just like OEM Hodaka plain heads all right. That's great. Great reasonable price also. None of this buck a piece nonsense. Yeah, I want it to have original fasteners like it came with. Evidently Yamaha had these same plain heads according to this guys Ebay store info. Probabbly others as well. Thank you Joe Ormonde for this great tip!
Attachments
Hodaka OEM 6mm Bolts
Hodaka OEM 6mm Bolts
Hodaka OEM 6mm bolts
Hodaka OEM 6mm bolts
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Cool or what !!! I`m buying the 125 bolt kit . Covers the entire bike. It costs just under $27.00 shipped!! If you buy 2 more M6x16mm packs, you can easily have enough bolts to restore 3 Hodakas with a grip to spare! And, they are spot on IDENTICAL to the factory bolts.Joe Ormonde.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

125 bolt kit, Hmm. Well, all I needed were the 6mm, all the other ones I had them replated. I will check that out also though for the futre. Thank you Sir.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

The bolt kit that has 125 bolts are of various lengths of M6 bolts. I need to clarify that. Joe Ormonde.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Oh ok that makes it clear now, I did not know he had that also. That's good to know. Thanks Joe
givergas

Post by givergas »

was perusing other web sites and came across a rebuild of a "steen" some of the bolts were missing so he ,they, went and bought some and put them on a metal lathe to remove the markings on the top then blasted then plated. if you have access to a lathe might be a cheap easy way to get some good looking bolts[ Hodaka Restore - Vintage - ThumperTalk ] i tried to give a link , best i could do ...albert
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Right ! I bought some stainless steel bolts, took off the markings and semi-polished them. I actually put a shut off valve onto my DA sander, put a sheet of 320 stickyback paper on it, clamped it in my vise and let it spin ! I controlled the speed with the shut off valve and VERY carefully took off the markings. It semi-polished the bolts at the same time! I also made a stinger for a Model 93 pipe out of a 235 Chevy road draft tube! Those tubes for the ceiling fans work too, but the O.D. was slightly smaller so I went with the 235 tube. Watch Your Pennies And Your Dollars Will Take Care Of Themselves! Joe Ormonde.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I also located the EXACT Japanese connecting rod bearing that Hodaka used on ALL of their 100cc engines for $5.90 FREE SHIPPING. I won`t post that because I just know someone is going to post that I shouldn`t be posting saving people money in this site. So,for now, I`ll keep it to myself!!! Joe Ormonde.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

You won’t hear it from me! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Joe give me a call when you can 1--208--571--2823, Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Post it, this country still is free is it not? Or I don't know about that, maybe its not. I get amazed at seeing the cartoon characters in some of the old Hodaka literature and manuals chasing some young babe around. How times have changed right. That's sexual assault in this goofy country nowadays. Thanks Gentlemen