Twin Rat Restoration

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

Re: Twin Rat Restoration

Post by efkruger »

Anyway, lets get on with something positive like what I did today with number one. Take a look
Attachments
20171219_154014.jpg
20171219_154025.jpg
20171219_154007.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Can anybody tell that the air cleaner is a different color than the frame? The air cleaner paint is supposed to be different but I cant tell any myself, looks the same to me.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Looks great! I can't tell the difference so if there is one, its very subtle. What fun you're going to have!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I never heard they were different. Are they suppose to be? ============Clarence
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Wel,l according to Strictly Hodaka's paint info they are supposed to be. So I ordered the early frame red and then they have a paint for 93 air boxes and wombats. So I got both of them. But they seem the same. I will have to investigate that a little more.
DG29

Post by DG29 »

So are you saying that all of the Ace 90's/100's and early Rats all had the same paint code/color on them?
Any former Hodaka dealers out there that can confirm this?
Thanks in advance,
D
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

That's my understanding, that the early chrome tank Hodaka's used the same bright red color. I still have not investigated the air cleaner color yet.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Your paint problem isn't that uncommon. If you went to bare metal the first time, you may have to do so again. I have used epoxy primer, automotive, with good result, followed by matching brand automotive enamel.
Hydraulic Jack
DG29

Post by DG29 »

Efk,
I found this from this site back in 2014:

viewtopic.php?t=504

If you go through the tread it looks like the 100B's and SR's had a different red compared to other Ace models. If one was to use a rattle can to paint a Rat (up to 72) the color can be found on the inside of the air cleaner cover. It's a dead on match to Rustoleums "apple red" that can be found at your local hardware or Home Depot store. This of course is simply my own findings in bringing back to life a couple of 93a bikes to race in vmx events.
Btw, your work looks great!
DG29

Post by DG29 »

efkruger

Post by efkruger »

That's great to know. At least I have used the correct color for the 93 that I am building. Thanks for that info.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

OK I just checked on the Strictly Hodaka's website, and the paint they sell which is what I bought, is what they call early frame red that they say is specific for the ace 90, ace 100, ace100mx (super rat 93), and dirt squirt 96. I am just going to let my paint set for a long time and see if it hardens up with time. Its hardened up good in certain areas I have noticed. Its just where I have a few more coats on. But when I do number two, I am going to try something new with this paint that I have left, like using just Xylol or xylene for a reducer. I will do some tests first before I paint anymore frames or parts. If it still does not look good I will use Dupont automotive paint. That's it
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

The air box is RED. The frame is Red-Orange. Miserable to get the paint colors spot on correct! The closest Red Orange in a spray can I
found is VHT High Temp Engine Enamel #SP119 Chevy Red-Orange sealed with #SP145 Clear Gloss. Durable too! Once you put the decal on the air box it`s so loud you can`t tell if it`s Red or Red Orange. HPI,(Bill Cooks old place) has well over 100 BRAND NEW Pristine air cleaner bodies with factory paint for $47.00. I bought a few . By the weekend I`ll post photos showing the contrast of the correct colors.Joe Ormonde.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Cool, only $47.00 for an air cleaner body? That's a pretty good price. Yes post those photos. Thanks

Hey Joe, I bought one of those cushion hubs they have for only about fifteen bucks, man that was cheap, even came with a bearing and snap ring in it. Thanks
Last edited by efkruger on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Got a little more done today on number one. Man, look at that gas tank! My goodness, that has some shine. Everything is going together real easy. All the parts are fitting back together very well. Maybe tomorrow I will paint the expansion chamber and get it on next. Also that rear wheel is ready to go on. too. Then the seat. The air cleaner box I am going to repaint. Its just not hardening up. The paint on it. I put about four coats of paint on it. Maybe that's why its not hardening up but. I will bead blast them again. Then I will repaint them after I try a different reducer. After I make sure it works good. Zoom in on these pics
Attachments
20171220_171948.jpg
20171220_172009.jpg
20171220_171956.jpg
20171220_171916.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Look at how that afternoon sun shining in turns that red paint to an orange color. That's an original Nitto knobby tire on that front wheel. Wished I had a Nitto for the rear. I will use a Barum, I hope it will clear that chain guard without having to cut down knobbies on the left side of the tire That gas tank when it came back from the plating company had a light amount of rusting spots in it. I took about a quart can of mostly sheet rock screws and other types of screws in it and poured them all into the tank. Then for about an hour I shook those screws around inside that tank every which way I could and it really cleaned out the inside of the tank. Then I washed it out with some kerosene good. I don't think I will coat the inside with anything. When I fire up this bike I am going to make me a small gas tank that I can attach to the triple tree clamp and then just run a fuel line back to the carb. I don't want to put gas in the tank. The temporary gas tank can fasten on temporarily with plastic tie straps.
I just don't want to put gas in that nice gas tank to have it start that dad gum rusting again. Once I get the bike done its going to be inside my house probably or a business.
I put some of the gas tank petcocks in a vibratory tumbler with some walnut shell media and they really polished up lovely. I will install a few in that tank soon. I will make a test can so I can test if they leak also. I want to make sure they are good. I have quite a few so I don't need to lap any yet if they leak. Surely some of the many I have are good still. I hope. Even though I wont put gas in the tanks, somebody else might later if I sell one.
I think I will slide a few pieces of foam rubber between the gas tank and that round frame member just in case they ever make contact.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Does any one know if the 93A ever came with the steel foot pegs that have teeth on them or did they just come with the rubber covered pegs? I have bought several 93A's and they came with the steel pegs with teeth. I don't know if they came that way or someone just added them later. They are Hodaka factory pegs not Webco also. I have both, but I like those all steel pegs with teeth.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Strip your paint off the air box. Start again. I’d not mix nanufacturer’s brands on hardeners and excelerators. Best to use like products. Also when doing more than 2 coats, let it dry over night. Give the first coats more time to cure. This way the flammables in the paint can dry better before adding more. Not all paints dry like primer. I use clearcoat paint too, but I wait at least 2-3 days before applying it over the red. And then I let the paint dry for 3-4 days before buffing our the clear. And I don’t have high humidity here in Santa Fe. 8-10% on average. So paint dries a lot sooner than it did in, say, North Carolina! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
87CF2EEB-02BE-402B-A513-D2BCA4B5CA12.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Hope for some professional advice here. I add my coats when still tacky and then my finish coat, heavy enough for it to glass out as I do not have to buff it out. I would not add coats the next day. If additional painting was required I would let the paint fully cure then apply a sealer and repaint. I sand blast my frames and use black primer?? Sold the body shop years ago I liked Ditzler acrylic enamel then. I will be using the new fangled paint coming up. Some one with wisdom give us suggestions. I just started selling my snap on body hammers and dollies on Ebay. -----------Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

To my knowledge, all toaster tank Rats came with the rubber covered foot pegs. The first Hodaka Model to get toothed steel foot pegs was the Model 94 Wombat.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Thanks Gentlemen for your help! "Snap-On" you say, I have that brand of tools also. I bought most of mine second hand though. They are the best tool. Heck for high if you buy them new, but the best. When I was about 20 I bought a set from a Mexican mechanic in Long Beach, California that violated his parole and was going back to prison. That gave me a good start. Then over the years I would find them at the Brownsville, Texas 77 flea market. Quite often they were like new . I now have a really good set of Snap On tools now. Nothing like having good tools.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

efkruger wrote:...
I think I will slide a few pieces of foam rubber between the gas tank and that round frame member just in case they ever make contact.
Pool noodles work great for this.

I was assembling my "Sleeper Ace" last spring and wanted to make sure I got some foam under the tank. I looked around the yard and spied one of my daughter's pool noodles that the dogs had attacked. It worked great. Split down one side, it had a nice snug fit over the frame backbone and the tank slid nice and snug over it.

I'm sure you could find something similar, or even more masculine, in pipe insulation, but I don't mind the pink noodle under my tank. ;-)

$0.02

Roger
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Clarence, most paint needs to be repeat coated within a short time, or left for quite a long time. But time recommendations vary with type of paint. I always follow manufacturers instructions.
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Merry Christmas Jack (Greg) how is the awesome dog? Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

hope he dosent look like he was beat with a wet noodle....