Petcocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
go_hercules

Petcocks

Post by go_hercules »

The petcocks on my 73 dirt squirt won't shut off completely. The die cast taper looks good. I polished it with some fine compound just to be sure. I think the problem is the nylon cones. They are not grooved. I inserted them in the bore with a little compound and spun them to lap them in. They came out very smooth. And they still seep. I think the problem is that the nylon is just rock hard. Any fixes for this? I am thinking of using some new Honda petcocks with the fool proof conventional rubber disk design. I will have to make a thread adaptor but that is easy enough. Tired of beating a dead horse. Anyone used a non-Hodaka petcock before???
matt glascock

Re: Petcocks

Post by matt glascock »

Hi go_, Is it seeping to the outside of the fuel line or draining through the line and overflowing from the carb bowl? If the latter, you could simply add an inline fuel tap to the line below the "y" connector. If you have the pot metal petcocks, they are rebuildable.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Paul has reproduction pet cocks

Rich
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Hey guys, it's leaking internally. With the fuel line removed and the petcock off, it will drip out of the bottom spigot about a half teaspoon in 24 hours. I sort of don't want old original NOS ones since they may be hardened up as well. I see that Paul shows new and improved ones but I don't know how they work which could be a very expensive experiment. That's why I was considering just using brand new OEM Honda petcocks which I know won't leak. Won't look exactly original but not offensive looking.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I have had a mostly favorable experience with the repop pot metal petcocks from SH. Recently, I was changing out the original brass petcocks on my M95 CW for the repops and broke it off at the base of the threads as I was tightening it with my bare hands (finger tight is as tight as I go with petcocks). That's one failure out of 18. While inelegant, the in-line petcocks are a cheap and easy fix. The repop ones Paul sells are good and rebuildable.
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Did you try what he is showing as "new and improved" ? They are supposed to have viton cones rather than nylon.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep, those are the ones. I've had no problems with them other than the one I broke. I've never had to disassemble one but my understanding is that they can be rebuilt if necessary. Hopefully, that will be a problem for my great great great grandchildren to figure out.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello out there, before you throw away those old brass pet cocks send them to me, we can use for parts and pieces for other customers whom take the chance of rebuilding the brass ones, yes the new replacements are the best way to go, but the old brass ones still have some parts needed for other Hodaka owners. Hodakaparts.com Idaho 2995 Lower Bluff Rd,, Emmett, Idaho 83617
Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Hey Bruce. I am dealing with die cast, not brass. However, I have tried lapping and fine tuning brass ones and have never got them really leak free.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would never try and fix a leaky brass one unless it was leaking, I don't think I ever got one to stop leaking once it started. ------------ Clarence
DG29

Post by DG29 »

I just did two of the brass ones for a bike I'm finishing up. Lapped them both with Mother's mag and aluminum polish and they both work perfectly. I also replaced the 4mm brass nut with a stainless nylock nut so that it stays where I want it set at. That and locktite on the threads to the handles and they're good to go.
Just my .02
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I sure like Mothers mag and aluminum polish but have not tried it on petcocks yet. Clarence
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

We still stand on if you have some old brass pet cocks leaking, broken, just junk please send them to us. we can use for parts and pieces to other customers. Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho