Hodaka shock spring compressor tool

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

Hodaka shock spring compressor tool

Post by efkruger »

Yesterday I assembled some original 93 rechromed springs onto a Westtek Manufacturing shock body and had a difficult time dealing with that spring. I had bought a spring compressor tool from one of the parts people and it worked, but it also damaged the plastic sleeve that goes inside of the shock spring. That's not good, and it also can scratch the new chrome plating. The tool I bought takes two people to use just about so I decided before I do anymore shocks I will just make me a good tool to compress and disassemble these shocks. And that is what I did this this afternoon. Take a look at these pics
Attachments
20171011_180115.jpg
efkruger

Re: Hodaka shock spring compressor tool

Post by efkruger »

This picture above shows the tool I made with a Westtek Manufacturing Hodaka shock being compressed so that the nut that secures the eyelet to the rod can be removed easily by myself. The Philips screw driver is going down along a coil of spring while the piece of 5/8 inch all tread rod is pushing the spring closed. The all tread rod has a nut on it that you tighten to compress the spring. When you are done removing the eyelet from the rod just loosen the nut up and remove the screw driver. Then the shock slides out of the square tubing.
Now I can put the original rechromed 93 model spring back on the Westtek shock body and reassemble it very easily with this tool. The square tubing is an 8.5 inch piece of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/8 wall square tubing. I put some tape inside the tubing to protect the chrome from being scratched.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is another pick of the eyelet being pushed out so that the nut is accessible to be unloosened. The Philips screwdriver secures the spring from moving forward in the square tubing.
Attachments
20171011_180145.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Here is a closeup of the pusher rod compressing the spring
Attachments
20171011_180137.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Now, here is a pic of the disassembled Westtek shock after it has been removed from the tool. Next I will reassemble everything back together using my newly rechromed 93 model spring, the repolished 93 eyelet, and the grey plastic sleeve that goes inside the spring.
Attachments
20171011_180418.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Refer to my post of yesterday concerning 93 model rear shocks and you will see a shock that is about 98% close to original as you can get. That one, I assembled without this tool. Once was enough. With this tool I will do all the rest. Thanks Gentlemen
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

One last thing, I put tape inside the square tubing to protect the nice new chrome plating also. You can see it here in this pic. Thanks Gentlemen
Attachments
20171011_180432.jpg
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I have three cats that I have raised from being newborns up to now. For some reason they all have the need to share with me the mice, rats, and frogs etc. they catch. They all bring me these "gifts" and leave them in my house. Sometimes they are still alive and sometimes they are dead. Nevertheless I feel honored they think of me to share their catches. They are appreciative of me no doubt. Here is a pic of the latest "gift". I wished I had a pic of the huge rat my female caught. It was so big I initially I thought it was a small Armadillo. She must have had a struggle with it because she chewed its head half way off. My Goodness what delightful creatures they are!
Attachments
20170909_085108_001.jpg
DG29

Post by DG29 »

Super Rat! :)
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

My cats love me too, Mice , baby rabbits , bats , lizards , and one snake. oh and birds and gophers, They like to weow at me to let me know what they got then proceed to eat in one spot in the dining room, Yuk!

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

nice work on tool making

Rich
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Thank you brother
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Very clever, ef.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Thanks Matt
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

That is some excellent work....

Very impressive.

I wish I'd thought of it.

Very innovative way to save as much of the originals as possible.

I don't have a welder (yet)....... maybe I could bolt or screw the channel pieces together.

Good winter project. I'll put it on the list.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Thanks, Yes I like original as much as possible.