Ace 90 Electrical Q's

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

Ace 90 Electrical Q's

Post by admin »

Agate47 - 10/11/06 at 1:16pm

So here I am the proud owner of a 67 Ace 90 and a shop manual. I have read all of the Ace 90 section and learned a lot. However, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a source of a complete wiring harness? Mine bike seems to only have the wires coming out of the magneto and alternator, a handful of wires in the headlight, and a wad of wires around the battery holder.

2. Where would I mount the selenium rectifier, assuming I can get an appropriate one from Radio Shack or such?

3. Would the alternator coils suffer any harm if the leads are simply taped off, but the bike were to be run without any electrical load? (Until I get around to the full electrical rewiring.)

4. Are ignition locks/switches available? Where would that be mounted?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

chrometankfan - 10/11/06 at 8:20pm

whilst looking on ebay this morning i noticed a selinum rectifier up for auction that would probably work ,unless your in a hurry, it should bolt in your battery box(back or bottom). as far as the wiring it should be colored with corresponding ends to hook up if all else fails there should be a wiring diagram in the shop manual or you could check with paul to see what he has
doug

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Agate47 - 10/12/06 at 4:12pm

Doug,
Thanks for the suggestion. I have studied the wiring diagram. I think I can string wires to the appropriate lights and such. Knowing that I can install the rectifier on the battery box is one piece I needed to know.
Thanks again,
Steve Knudsen
Auburn, WA

gregg_floren - 10/13/06 at 12:45pm

Hi Steve,
I have an Ace 90 than I've completely redone. I may be able to help on a few of these.
1. Is there a source of a complete wiring harness? Mine bike seems to only have the wires coming out of the magneto and alternator, a handful of wires in the headlight, and a wad of wires around the battery holder.
A: I was able to locate an NOS wiring harness from one of the well know parts sources a couple of years ago. They may still be available. The wad of wires around the battery holder is normal. The Ace 100 had a plastic cover to hide them. The Ace 90 did not.
2. Where would I mount the selenium rectifier, assuming I can get an appropriate one from Radio Shack or such?
A: I think you have the answer for this one.
3. Would the alternator coils suffer any harm if the leads are simply taped off, but the bike were to be run without any electrical load? (Until I get around to the full electrical rewiring.)
A: I would say this shouldn't be a problem, but I'd defer to others more knowledgeable.
4. Are ignition locks/switches available? Where would that be mounted?
A: I think you would might be hard pressed to find an NOS ignition switch. A used one shouldn't be a problem. If you want it to just plug in to an Ace 90 wiring harness, you will need the genuine Ace 90 ignition switch. If you don't mind doing some work with crimp connectors, I think an Ace 100 or chrome tank Wombat switch could be made to work. The switch mounts on the LH side if the battery box.
Good Luck

Agate47 - 10/13/06 at 1:57pm

Gregg,
Thanks for your response. That info is very helpful.
Dare I ask how much time and money you invested in your Ace 90 to completely redo it? I got mine for $300 in its present condition. It needs tires/tubes, chain, wiring, a lot of cleaning, and eventually after I get it running red paint. Somebody painted the bike blue of all things. The chrome stuff could be worse, but it will never be show quality. I expect it to be a fun bike for street and trails, but the price of "pretty" gas tank is more than I paid for what I have now.
Thanks again,
Steve
Auburn, WA

gregg_floren - 10/13/06 at 2:52pm

I have way tooooo much into it. But it was what I wanted to do. There isn't anything on the bike that hasn't been repainted, replated, or replaced. That includes the rims, pipe, tank, bars, frame, luggage rack, bearings, bushings, rebuilt engine... everything. Oh... wait, the seat and horn are original.
I paid about $200 originally. The engine was frozen and somebody had spray painted it black - without the benefit of disassembly or masking tape. I could have probably done enough to get it running and reliable for few hundred bucks, but I wanted one that looked like new. .It took three years and I probably have about $3500 into it. That's way more than it's worth, but the looks I get when I ride it around town are (as they say) priceless.
Gregg

Bullfrog - 10/13/06 at 4:04pm

Answer for #3 - no problems will accrue to the lighting coil from taping off the lighting coil wires and running the engine.

Ed

Agate47 - 10/18/06 at 6:19pm

Gregg and Ed,
Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to many hours of good, not so clean, fun as I clean and repair my Ace 90. I will try to be reasonable and take your lessons about spending money to heart. I fixed up a 78 Yamaha SR500 once. I spent a little too much on it without even getting into chrome and paint. So I know how addictive this can get.
I may not end up with a Priceless Gem, but a fun runner in the proper red color would be nice.
Steve Knudsen
Auburn, WA

END OF THREAD