New Owner with Clutch Problem

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

New Owner with Clutch Problem

Post by admin »

KWight - 10/02/06 at 1:30am

I bought a 1976 125 Hodaka over the weekend at a garage sale for $80. It runs pretty good, even better when I changed the plug. It is oil injected and it looks to be a Wombat model. I am not sure if it is a Combat Wombat or a Super Wombat....How do I tell?
Anyways, the clutch engages somewhat when it is cold then will not engage when it is warmed up. I am able to rev the engine with it in gear and it won't grab at all when warmed up.
Could someone give me some tips on troubleshooting this clutch problem? I also need some tips on replacing the clutch if this is what I need to do. This is a nice vintage bike and I really don't want to mess it up.
I will try to post some pictures in the next week for you to see.
Thanks in Advance for your help!
Kevin

___________________________________________________________________________________________

thrownchain - 10/02/06 at 1:26pm

Take all the slack out of the clutch cable and try it, if it still doesn't work it might possibly be the clutch plates, which is probably why they stopped driving it in the first place. Good find, take care of it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Earl - 10/02/06 at 1:55pm

Kevin,
If it is (or was) street legal it is an 03 Wombat. You can check your frame and engine #s on Paul's Identification link. As for the slipping clutch, drain the old oil from the transmission after warming it up and then replace it with automatic transmission fluid and see if that helps. Many people put modern oils in the tranny that have additives. Those additives are meant to be slippery for the transmission, but they don't help the clutch which rides in the Transmission oil. Earl 8)

Bullfrog - 10/02/06 at 5:28pm

You can compare your frame and engine serial numbers to the list found on the Strictly Hodaka web site (click on HOME at the upper left of the page you are now on and look for Identifying your Hodaka).
Sounds like you have a Wombat Model 03 (red "coffin" tank).
Disconnect the clutch cable from the lever at the engine. Just use a large screw driver to pry the lever up and slide the end of the cable out. Now check the free play at the end of the lever. It should be 3/32" - translation: it should have some freeplay - but not a whole LOT of freeplay.
If there is not enough freeplay, the clutch will not fully engage. If there is too much freeplay, the clutch will not fully disengage.
You are going to want a Workshop Manual. I'd recommend the OFFICIAL Hodaka Workshop Manual for the Wombat and Combat Wombat. It doesn't cover your model 03 - but most of the essential information applies well to the Model 03.
Before too long Strictly Hodaka will have copies of Service Bulletins up on their site - a few of those will be important for your reference files on the 03.
Ed

KWight - 10/02/06 at 11:11pm

Good news guys!!! I pulled the transmission fill plug and found out my problem was due to a low oil level. I put some regular oil in and will warm it up and then drain to put in Transmission Fluid. I took it for a spin and it cuts out a little bit. I got it home and drained the rest of the gas in the tank (Root Beer Brown, Mmmm). I will put in fresh gas tomorrow to go along with the fresh oil in the transmission. I think it will run much better after that.
Another question........Should I replace the 2 stroke oil in that tank? I believe this bike was sitting for several years and while far from being a museum piece, it is in very good shape for it's age. I have seen bikes that are much newer in far worse shape than this. The previous owner had it stored in his shed as far back as 1986.
Also, What are these worth in decent shape?
Kevin

Bullfrog - 10/03/06 at 12:50am

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya that the clean oil and clean fuel works wonders. I'd really recommend the installation of an in-line fuel filter.
If it were mine, I'd drain the old oil injector oil, give the oil tank a gasoline rinse and then put in new oil for sure.
Are ya having fun yet?

thrownchain - 10/03/06 at 9:29am

Yes, definitely change all fluids, including fork oil if you're so inclined. Also change air filter, lube all moving parts, brake pivots, cables, etc. Definite on the in line gas filter. Might also want to rinse out the tank real good and possibly put in a sealer. Fresh plug wouldn't hurt either.

Steve.Robertson - 10/05/06 at 10:50pm
> Good news guys!!! I pulled the transmission
> fill plug and found out my problem was due
> to a low oil level.

Funny you should bring that up - I was just looking at the service bulletins and stuff and there was one for the 03 Wombat that says to make sure the oil level is correct if the clutch isn't working right!

END OF THREAD