1971 Ace 100 restoration

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SScratch

1971 Ace 100 restoration

Post by SScratch »

Hello all, I am working on an Ace 100 I bought from a friend. I believe it to be a 92B+. The last time it ran was in 2007 but was stored inside thankfully. The tank had about a pound of sediment in it but I after cleaning it and the carburetor I was able to get it running smoothly. I now need some help getting it to shift properly. I have the Owner's Hand Book but have not been able to find a shop manual. My magneto cover reads "Ace 100" and has a big piece missing out of the top. I ordered an entire used magneto cover assemble online and received one that reads "Hodaka" and the shifting mechanism is opposite and the inside cover is shaped different (smaller). My questions are: where can I find a shop manual, can i convert the 1 up 4 down shift pattern to 1 down 4 up with the "Hodaka" magneto cover assembly, and which tastes better - ATF or 2 stroke mix?
rlkarren

Re: 1971 Ace 100 restoration

Post by rlkarren »

As I understand, the "Hodaka" shift cover should bolt right on. No other changes necessary other than "maybe" some shifter adjustments.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Yes the "HODAKA" cover will convert your engine to the "down for first" shift pattern . . . and it is a "bolt on" modification. You may have to do some shift mechanism adjustment, but be aware that there is the possibility that the control shaft springs may have been "sacked" by the previous owner and/or shifter mechanism wear, etc. If the control shaft springs are deformed, they will need replacement. No amount of shifter mechanism adjustment can off-set the problems caused by deformed control shaft springs.

Um, did you mean the small inspection cover is different? I think the inside cover - the stamped/formed steel plate between the shifter cover and the engine is the same.

I'm not a fan of either ATF or pre-mix . . . one is just toooooo oily and the other is tooooo aromatic. I recommend a good Porter or Amber. ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

Ahhh, a porter is then Ed.

Not the inspection cover, but the inside steel cover plate. My original would bolt right up but it is cracked. The replacement I received is half the size, covering only the countersprocket area and not the magneto half. Which means the magneto half would need a gasket to fill in the gap.

There is only spring tension in one direction on the control shaft, so I intend to remove and replace those springs. Just wish I had a manual to go by.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

You might have an inner cover from a different motor. If you look on the Strictly Hodaka web site under the "shop by schematics" tab you'll be able to identify it. Your cover maybe belongs on a later "painted tank" model. It might also be the proper cover that has been modified by removing the ring of metal that surrounds the magneto end of the motor. Alternatively, post a picture of it and it will be immediately identified.
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

The alternative and immediate method works for me.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

That looks like the inner cover from an Ace 90. I don't remember when the change happened to the full size inner cover, but the "HODAKA" down-for-first shift cover was made to use the full size inner cover.
Ed
PS: Yes! Another Porter fan!
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

So will I be able to use this cover to switch to 1 down 4 up, or should I just get back to my porter?
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

The inner cover on the right side of both photos is the correct one to use with both the "ACE 100" (up for first) AND the "HODAKA" (down for first) shift covers. (AND you could also go back to your Porter. ;) )
Ed
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The cover with the HODAKA on it is a much more desirable cover as its shift pattern of 1 down 4 up matches the most other bike manufacturers. It is difficult to jump from a Wombat to an ACE without having to think before shifting. I am sure you could find someone to trade you for an undamaged ACE 100 cover.
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

Thanks for the info y'all. Unfortunately, the larger inner cover is split all the way around from the installation of an oversized countersprocket. The chain cut right through it. Any idea where I can pick up a shop manual?
JackM

Post by JackM »

There are 5 of them on ebay right now.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I have both & they are both functional. I kept the 1 up 4 down cover because that's what keeps it original, but all my grandsons bikes are 1 down 4 up for consistency in case they want to swap around! That way no shifting issues! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90