Chain maintenance

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Chain maintenance

Post by Bill2001 »

I have a basic question about chain maintenance for our practical wrenches. Most of my years of motorbiking have been on a shaft drive bike, so I'm a noob when it comes to chains. As a kid, we'd cpean the chain with a spray of WD40 and lube it with engine oil.
What is the modern, best-way schedule to clean and lube the chain? Especially short term regular maintenance, technique and interval.
What I have done is during the big annual maintenance is remove the chain, wash it in a pan of mineral spirits, dry it, hang it up and lube it with PJ-1 spray lube.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
dirty_rat

Re: Chain maintenance

Post by dirty_rat »

Just like transmission oil, everyone has their own favorite brand and opinion. Cleaning schedule depends on use - ie: road riding, occasionally as needed, MX racing, every race, etc. Main thing is to keep track of the chain and it's condition. When it gets dirty, clean it. Whenever it gets at all dry, lube it with a good modern chain lube. I prefer the type that sets up like a wax as it doesn't seem to fling off or collect as much dirt.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Found this excellent video on YouTube on cleaning and lubing your motorcycle chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEmWCK208g

I personally only use a wire brush unless the chain is really cruddy.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good info on chain maintenance and useful vids on procedures. My "first guess" on how-to is in line with what y'all have suggested. I have a couple of long-handled nylon bristle brushes, and even one of those motorcycle chain brushes shown in the vid. My "anti-splash backstop" is political sign coroplast material and I use a disposable roasting pan for the drippings. Thus far I've been able to coordinate the cleaning/lubing when I've had the scoot on the lift.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

I tried going "old school" on my chain one time. I cleaned it in a pan of diesel fuel, hung it to dry, then soaked it in a pan of 30 weight motor oil like I used to do as a kid in the 60's. Talk about a royal mess. :oops: That stuff flung everywhere and all over my pants and shoes. Funny how I remembered it differently. Now I stick to spray chain lube like everybody else. :lol:
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

I have been using nothing but WD40 for the last 20 years on all my off road bikes...o-ring chains last me 1200+ miles...only reason i replace them is because the sprockets wear out.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

O-Ring chains are really the way to go. I wouldn't use WD40 as lube. It was never intended to be a lubricate like chain lube. But your results seem to be counter-intuitive to that wisdom. Ha!
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

The procedure I use for cleaning my standard DID chain after racing mx, is fill a small plastic dish pan with simple green and warm water. Soak the chain and clean with a brass bristle brush. Hose it down with garden hose. Hang the chain and dry it off using an air compressor. After that I spray well with PB Blaster so no rust starts forming. Lay it on a towel in and wipe and dry well. Don't forget to do all this with the master link too. Put the chain back on the sprockets. Lastly, I spray it with Bel ray Super Clean white chain lube. This stuff doesn't allow any dirt to cling to it and it awesome stuff.