fronk fork cylinder allen screw removal

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

fronk fork cylinder allen screw removal

Post by efkruger »

Gentlemen,
Has anybody had, a front fork allen screw that secures the fork cylinder to the lower tube, problems getting it to come out. I have one that just turns with the cylinder inside turning also and will not come out. I have tried to loosening the dad gum booger with springs in and fork cap on tight but it wont break loose. Does anyone have any experience with this or know a way to get that cylinder to stay in place enough to turn that allen screw out? I would appreciate any help.
olddogs

Re: fronk fork cylinder allen screw removal

Post by olddogs »

Get someone to help you compress the fork upside down with the spring still in and use a air or battery impact gun. The quickness of the jolt will usually spin out the allen bolt.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Sometimes the impact gun by itself will jar it loose, but there is an article somewhere on disassembling the 250 and the Wombat 03 forks (by Bob Whitman and Ed Chesnut) that shows a homemade tool and I can't find it so I made some pictures of mine. Basically it is made from a 1/2" black pipe about 17 inches long. Drill a hole in it at one end to stick a pin for a T handle at the top and compress the other end to make an oblong hole a little under 1/2" from flat. This flattened end will fit over the top of the inside shaft that is turning. This can be used to hold the inside parts while you loosen the allen screw at the bottom. If yours is not the 34mm forks I am not sure if this will work.
Fork Wrench for 34mm Shocks_1.jpg
Fork Wrench for 34mm Shocks_2.jpg
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

thank you Gentlemen, I got it out by compressing the springs more and by spinning the screw out with an air tool. Thanks for your help. This forum is the best thing.