Model year

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

Model year

Post by Hosk1956 »

Can I pin down a model year for my 250ED with engine and frame numbers?
Frame = J01741, engine = N01795
I think it is a 1974, bought here in Australia in 74 at least.

Wayne from Oz
Thunderdogdownunder

Re: Model year

Post by Thunderdogdownunder »

Think they were released in 1976 77 ... funny i have frame 1795 ☺
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

WOW, they made Hodaka's way back in 1795!!! :lol:
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

1976 according to the chart.
Hydraulic Jack
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

What chart Hydraulic Jack?
Wayne from Oz
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

This one is on the Strictly Hodaka website under FAQ:

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/v/vspfile ... nut1lg.jpg

It contains errors of omission, but not with regard to the 250 series, only the 70-71 100B/100MX.
Hydraulic Jack
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Excellent, thanks for that info HJ, I didn't know that info was available, that could be quite handy.

Wayne from Oz.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Lots of data stashed around the website, and lots also at Hodaka-Parts.com. Even more to be found on the Hodaka Club website, for members, in the back issues of the Resonator.
Hydraulic Jack
joshandlisa

Post by joshandlisa »

Hi guys,

I recently inherited my fathers 250ed with the frame no: J01800 and engine no: N01799. I would like to restore it and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on restoring it. Where to source parts in Australia? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks josh
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Josh, there are quite a few Hodakaphiles in Australia you might attempt to contact. You might want to do a bit of networking. On this forum, I'd try to contact "Thirdstone" via PM. He has mad skills. Also try contacting "vmxken" (Ken Smith, ed of VMX magazine). I don't know how much wrenching Ken does, but he's probably most likely to know a lot of the Hodaka folks in Australia. They might either be near or know of someone in your area who can help with parts and/or information. Our main parts house for ED replacements will be hodaka-parts in Missouri, USA. On the forum here, a bit more information from you would be helpful. When did the bike last run? Are you intending to simply get the bike running or are you planning a 100pt concours de elegance restoration? It would be very helpful if you could post pictures of the bike from all aspects so everyone can see basically what you are starting with. Then we can provide better information on how to start the process of restoration. It would also be helpful if you would provide a bit of personal information regarding your mechanical chops and bike wrenching experience.
joshandlisa

Post by joshandlisa »

Hi Matt,
Mate thanks for your reply first of all. In regards to the restoration. I’m not sure whether 100% would be within my capabilities but I’d still like it to look somewhat original and have as many original parts on it as possible. After having a good look over the bike it seems to be 98% complete. I am missing that the clutch cover assembly as well as the oil pump cable, throttle assembly and a Kickstarter. my dad told me the bike hasn’t been started since 1980 due to the kickstarter punching a hole in the clutch cover. So it was put under a tarp and not touched till two weeks ago. The bike does turn over and still has a heap of compression. Im a diesel mechanic by trade but never had much to do with bikes of any kind .so this old 250 should be a bit of fun.
Attachments
4E870AFD-D791-4A66-B1FA-C2E6177EC8BA.jpeg
7FE53A07-9776-4232-8740-5B1FE438A00F.jpeg
180B4F77-8804-410A-8027-DA5920A580DD.jpeg
F950F24F-9EF8-494E-86EB-8354E79CAB2F.jpeg
A2A0B20B-254A-4E75-BF14-BDF98AE46F55.jpeg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Good start. Looks rough, but don't let that discourage you. I've seen much worse starting points. I would say the first move at this point is to stop further deterioration. This is best accomplished by a systematic, methodical dismantling of the bike. Take meticulous notes and a million photographs as you go so that when reassembly time comes, you have a road map. As this process proceeds, inventory the parts and inspect for damage. Keep a running tab of all the bits that will need to be replaced. You will likely be replacing some of the hardware. Keep parts and assemblies organized and cataloged as you progress (ziploc bags for small parts, boxes, etc for larger assemblies). Clean, derust, protect, repair, and preserve the parts as you go. For example, photograph the exhaust system and all mounting points, dismount the pipe and remove all associated mounting hardware from the bike and dismount the silencer from the pipe, burn out the carbon from the pipe and silencer internals, give it a good sanding and a coat of manifold paint, derust all hardware and reassemble the entire exhaust system off the bike. Set that all aside and on to the next. I will check my parts stash as I think I have a 250 clutch cover. If so, I will let you have it free of charge to me if you agree to donate $30 US to the Hodaka Club. You're in for a fairly long haul so don't get impatient. Just go step-by-step and carefully/thoroughly document EVERY step in word and image to facilitate reassembly.