Model 98 Project Fork Rebuild

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Model 98 Project Fork Rebuild

Post by JackM »

I finally sprung for the fork rebuild kit I needed for my project 98 super rat. It included dust covers, fork seals and two O-rings. The first pic shows the disassembled forks, one off the model 97 parts bike (top) and the lower, model 98. The allen bolt in the bottom of the 98 fork was a real bugger to get out. Had to use the wrench shown. I used a 27mm socket to drive the new seal in and a 24mm to get the old one out. Must have been the original seal as it was hard to get out. Now to get going on the other one. Next two pics show differences in springs and spacers. Last pic shows new o-ring and installed seal. JackM
001.JPG
After checking the parts diagrams, the springs in both 97 and 98 models should be the same (988756 & 978756). Of the two shown, the top spring in first photo appears to be the correct spring/spacer. I have to wonder why the different springs and spacer on the 98 and what they came off of?
Attachments
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
socalhodaka

Re: Model 98 Project Fork Rebuild

Post by socalhodaka »

If you look in Volume 2 issue 19 of the Resonator you will find an article on the differences of the 30mm chrome forks.
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thanks for that info, but it does me no good if I can't find out where to look for Resonator volumes/issues.
relic

Post by relic »

As a club member you can go to the club home page, (that might be how you are accessing this forum?). On the very right hand side at the top you'll see "Hodaka Days", then "Events" and then further right you'll see three horizontal bars. Hover your cursor over the bars and a drop down menu will appear. Near the bottom of the menu is the option, "Club Newsletters-back issues". Click on that and you'll be able to view all the back issues including the one that Socal is referring to. As well you'll note there is a "How to Index" that will appear to the left if you place the cursor over the "back issues" --- this index tells which issues contain various tech articles of interest.
Guess I should mention that this is all based on visiting the club website on a PC. If you use a smart phone, I have no idea how that might change things.
Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thank you, Ken. I'll go have a look. I'm sure your info will be helpful to other new members on here also.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Ken, the Hodaka Club board works/looks like that on a smartphone. And works well on a phone, though you do have to zoom in on some menus.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
JackM

Post by JackM »

001.JPG
Well, as per Socal's suggestion, I went and read the article about chrome forks. Good article, but I'm still somewhat confused. After comparing the inner fork tubes that came off of the model 98, one of them is not meant for this bike. It is about 1/8" longer in overall length, and the snap ring fits lower on the tube. Anyone have a guess what it came off of? The two inner tubes on the model 97 parts bike were the same as the one tube on the 98. Same length and same snap ring location, the only difference being the lengths of the bushings. Those on the 97 are 55mm and those on the 98 35mm. Looks to me like I will need to replace the odd inner tube on the 98. Those on the parts bike are rough. Anyone have a decent fork tube for a model 97 or 98? Thanks, JackM
Attachments
003.JPG
002.JPG
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

JackM, I am not sure but my bet is the one with the lowest snap ring is for a model 95. Even the schematic of the 95 show the snap ring is lower than the 97.

According to the Compatibility Chart item #938753A fits the 92B, 92C/96, 94, 94A and 95
and item #978753 fits the 01, 02, 97, 98, and 99

That will make it easier to find a #978753.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thanks, Bill. I must not have had my glasses on. lol Was looking at the wrong part #. So, the search goes on.