Another Trivia Question

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

Another Trivia Question

Post by admin »

DaveG - 03/12/08 at 10:10pm

Question for the smart ones...I was speaking with my service manager today and we were talking about the Hodaka factory in Athena. He is from Athena and told me that the factory was just a distribution center for the Hodaka motor cycles and that none were assembled there. I am sure some one can answer this for me because I thought a lot more went on there.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Forum Admin - 03/13/08 at 8:36am

Dave I will save this one for Ed. I have the answer but he WAS there. Good question though.
Thank you for the input.
Paul

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Bullfrog - 03/13/08 at 12:26pm

Dave:
Your friend is correct. There never was a "Hodaka Factory" in beautiful downtown Athena . . . or anywhere stateside for that matter.
The design concepts which became the Hodaka originated in Athena - "Where it all began".
Final production engineering and actual manufacturing took place in Japan.
On-going research and development on factors important to American motorcycle enthusiasts took place in Athena. Although it is good to note that R&D also happened across the water. (Such things as refining factors for long term reliability, sourcing components for performance, style and cost control, etc.)
Marketing and promotion were also headquartered in Athena. Ditto for Service and Warranty.
Note that some manufacturing/production work on a small scale did take place in Athena. A prime example is the production of the Enduro/Cross Kits, which modified existing spare parts (piston port) cylinders into reed valve ported cylinders.
So, there you have it. One of the enduring (but incorrect) legends of American Motorcycle History is that the "Hodaka Factory" was in Athena, Oregon. The truth is that a LOT of Hodaka functions took place in Athena . . . but the "factory" was never there.
I think it is completely accurate to refer to Hodaka as the American motorcycle built in Japan . . . but then I might just be a teensy bit biased on the topic.

eicho1 - 03/16/08 at 2:35pm

Here is a new question. One of the vintage Resonator's had the pronunciation spelling, or respelling of Hodaka. If anyone has it, can you post it?
Thanks,
Mark in Illinois
VMX # 492

Bullfrog - 03/17/08 at 2:00am

I had a scan of that article from the Resonator in my photo album over on the Hodaka Owners Group @ Yahoo for a while. But it got removed to make room for other things . . . and now I can't find it.
But I can tell you that it said the proper pronunciation is:
Hoe-DOCK-uh.
Of course the article ended with something like -- or say it any way you like . . . just have fun with your Hodaka!
Ed

Forum Admin - 03/17/08 at 7:01am

Ed I thought you meant the photo in the Resonator Marv had of your Junior High School prom date ???
I am going to pay for this big time

Bullfrog - 03/17/08 at 11:54am

It seems readily apparent that one of us has toooooo much time on YOUR hands!

Thankfully, I can prove that I didn't come into the world till late 1948 . . . and it seems questionable as to whether Penelope Pitstop survived into the mid-sixties to attend a prom with me . . . so the post must some how tie into one of your own secret fantasies. You naughty boy, you!

Forum Admin - 03/17/08 at 12:25pm

I can see that you need this trivia challenge to help keep your mind as sharp as a tack. Yes actually Penelope and I go wayyyyyy back. She has been hanging in the shop for years. Next time I will be certain to crop the bottom of the scan so I do not date myself any longer. I wonder if I can attach Ken Smith to this woman if you call her that

END OF THREAD