What Paint?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hydraulic Jack

Re: What Paint?

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

If someone finds a rattle can paint that is gasoline proof, please let us all know. The only readily available paint I have found that resists fuel exposure is automotive multi part paint, which requires spray equipment. Engine enamels and caliper paint are supposed to resist fuel exposure, but I haven't found them to be all that resistant, and colors are limited.

Maybe one of the only good reasons to use powder coat.....
Hydraulic Jack
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Most paints in rattle cans are lacquer based, unless you know an automotive paint supplier who will fill spray cans with custom paint for you. But the good news is, you can find urethane clear coats to add on top, which can be both wet sanded and buffed for that wet look shine and is also pretty fuel proof! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Most rattle can auto paint is urethane enamel. Getting hard to find lacquer, and if you find it, it will say so on the can. Paints such as Rustoleum are not lacquer. Neither are most clear coats. Mixing lacquer and enamel paint layers is tricky business. If I remember right, lacquer will soften and pick up enamel paint causing it to crinkle so you can't top coat clear lacquer on fresh poly enamel.
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I just would not use lacquer. Victors paint jobs look nice but but for us regular joe's we need to keep it simple.-----Clarence
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

I took my 63 frame in and had it powder coated giving the company the hodaka color, they atch the color perfectly they sand blast the frame and all other parts cleaned it up and powder coated the frame and parts strong paint no worrys about gas and other oils. I agree with Clarence spray cans will cause problems with gas and oil.
this is my 90 after we had it powder coated. These pictures will show you all the parts plus the frame that was pow
64 Frame (1).jpg
der coated. I also gave the company all the parts the were the orange color, :Battery box won't rust out or burn out. The best part is I didn't have to sand it down and clean it. for paint Just have it powdercoated It didn't cost but $150.00 for everyting
MTRob
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

What type of business did all that work for a buck-fifty?
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

If you were in Awstrailya I'd say go with Holden Red :lol:
In 2-Pack of course 8-)
Perfect match to the inside of my airbox.
Frame painted.jpg
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'll add that to the list along with the other 5,000,000 reasons I'd like to visit Australia.
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Hydraulic Jack wrote:If someone finds a rattle can paint that is gasoline proof, please let us all know. The only readily available paint I have found that resists fuel exposure is automotive multi part paint, which requires spray equipment. Engine enamels and caliper paint are supposed to resist fuel exposure, but I haven't found them to be all that resistant, and colors are limited.

Maybe one of the only good reasons to use powder coat.....
Eastwood has 2 part paints and primers in a rattle can...i used their clear coat on my Husky tank
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Well, yes, you can get custom automotive paint loaded in spray cans. Many suppliers offer paint this way. I was referring to OTC spray paint like Dupli-Color which is sold as automotive grade paint, but is really not the same thing at all.

Then too, I have yet to find a spray can that puts out paint in a pattern and with the coverage of an ordinary inexpensive spray gun. I think it is worth the time and effort to use 2K auto paint and a real gun if results matter al all.
Hydraulic Jack