Model 98 Project Update

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Model 98 Project Update

Post by JackM »

Some pics of the progress so far on the super rat 98 with 97 top end.
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
Jack Elliott

Re: Model 98 Project Update

Post by Jack Elliott »

looks nice.
I got lucky and picked up a model 98 in pieces a couple of years ago in far north queensland australia.
Its may favourite Hodie at the moment.Next step is to fit a HT2 pipe to it as the original style low pipe wont cut it for the Vinduros i am mainly riding it in.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow! The project is looking good. That's a mean looking engine!

Max
JackM

Post by JackM »

Max, Jack, thanks. Sorry about all the background clutter, but that's just how my garage is. Ace 100 is waiting in the wings. I'm using some parts off of the model 97 to complete this bike. So far, the entire air box assembly, rear fender, one fork dust boot and hand grips are off the 97. Everything is basically the same on both the 98 and 97, except for paint colors, engine size and a few other things, one being the size of the hole where the clutch attaches to the side case. I wonder why they changed that? (97 hole is smaller). Still looking for a fork boot for the other side. I hate to pay what they want for 2 new ones when I only need one good one. I had intended to restore the 97 too, but it will be a parts bike instead. Max, although you didn't get the one you were after, I still think you made out very well with the one you did get. Auctions are always fun to go to, especially when you find things like you did. Jack, I'd probably enjoy riding this bike if I was a bit younger, but I'll probably just keep it and let it pass down through my family. Cheers. JackM
Last edited by JackM on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

The bike is looking good!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Jack, actually the auction turned out OK. Restoring a Super Rat can get real expensive and you can't be creative. I really like these projects that you can do anything you want. I always looked at Hodakas as something to modify anyway. Also this thing was cheap and in the end I'll have a much better time and with no limits. The stock Super Rat got to stay in the family, Max got a fun project and he has several key parts to use on the project. A great deal for all! :)

Max
JackM

Post by JackM »

Somehow, someone's post and my reply got deleted. What's up with that?
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Someone can delete their own post and if they do maybe all the replies get deleted also. I am not sure about that, just a thought.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Replies don't get deleted just because someone pulls a post. However, the moderator or webmaster can pull anyone's post leaving no trace. No idea what happened here.
Hydraulic Jack
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Does seem a little strange to not delete the replies as the replies would not make sense without the post. I know Facebook deletes all replies if a post is deleted.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Jack, you said that the paint colors are different between the 97 & 98. I always assumed that they were the same. Of course, I have never seen a model 97 before in person. Linc
JackM

Post by JackM »

Linc, yes, I don't know the official Hodaka name for the colors but the frame and air box on the model 98 super rat is navy blue and the 97 super combat is royal blue. The wheel hubs and motor are black on the 98 and silver on the 97. Both have the same orange gas tanks and orange plastic fenders. JackM
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

Hey what are you using as your motorcycle lift? thank's Scott
JackM

Post by JackM »

Scott, It's a hydraulic lift from Harbor Freight. A gift from my wife a few years back. Works pretty well. Gets it up where an old man like me can see things better. lol
JackM

Post by JackM »

006.JPG
Well, I finally got the model 98 down off the lift to put the pipe on and get started on the Ace 100. Put the seat and tank on temporarily just to see how she looked. Painted the tank Kubota orange to match my tractor and zero-turn. Still have a few things left to do, like wiring up the kill button, new fuel and vent lines, possibly new brake cable/brake shoes since I'm having trouble getting front brake adjusted properly. The other issue is with the front forks. One of them is not meant for this bike, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. It will have to do for now until I find a decent replacement.
001.JPG
006.JPG
Attachments
002.JPG
Alberta Mike

Post by Alberta Mike »

I love your shop/garage ..... as they say, it has "character" ..... :roll: :roll: ..... I often see some of these "man cave" type garage places on TV shows with the expensive car collections etc. and they always look so pristine and everything is in place and out of sight. I prefer your shop any day of the week !!!
JackM

Post by JackM »

Mike, I kind of like it this way too. Its separated from the house and has a/c in the summer and heat in the winter. Keeps me out of my wife's hair. You know, we were talking about the RR the other day, CSX just had a doozy of a derailment recently, not far from where I live. They had to evacuate the whole town of Hyndman, PA due to toxic fumes, etc. Very steep grade in that area. Fortunately, nobody got hurt. Cheers!!
JackM