Jay Rollers

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

Jay Rollers

Post by admin »

hodakaronwa - 06/29/12 at 11:08am

Just want to pay compliment and pitch for these rollers.
Have two one on a Combat Wombat frame and one on a Road Toad Frame.
Couldn't be happier with either one of them.
Just road the Bad Rock trail ride with the Toad version and the poker run with the wombat version. They did their job perfectly, the kit was easy to install and they work. What do they do? They maintain chain adjustment, they protect your precious cases and shifter cover from chain damage. It will not allow the chain to jump off the sprocket.
The one on my Wombat/Combat wombat has made three poker runs and it shows little wear in the roller.
These Jay-Rollers are available from Mr. Jay Lael, he fabricates them himself and does a great job.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

bobwhitman - 06/29/12 at 1:17pm

Jay-
Sounds like it is time for another "run" of the rollers. I had several folks ask about mine at Hodaka Days. Great product!
Bob

___________________________________________________________________________________________

JimKlaas - 06/29/12 at 1:32pm

Agree.....how many does it take to produce a RUN of the rollers?
Wombat, Road Toad and (snicker snicker should I put one on an Ace 90?) Keep in mind....the Ace 90 not only DID the BAD ROCK but some bozo (me) did the whole thing in the STREET GEAR!!)
Jim Klaas
ps I was just about to see if I could make one myself...looks like a great idea.

Bullfrog - 06/29/12 at 2:48pm

I can't remember how long I've had my Jay Roller . . . but the time is measured in years . . . and the roller shows rounded depressions where the chain side plates contact it which are less than a match book cover deep!!! (like rounded depressions only .015" or so deep - just the barest hint of wear after YEARS of riding -- Kewel!)
Great chain tensioner for a Hodie!! Don't leave home without it.
I happened to hear Jay describe to someone that he builds to meet orders. He'll need to know what frame is involved. Ace frames through the Combat Wombat are bolt on kits. I'm not sure about the orange tank Super Rat and Combat Wombat. Toads and red tank Wombat require some welding. (I think I've got this stuff right, but double check me OK?)
Ed

MTRob - 06/29/12 at 3:06pm

I have an Ace 90 will they work on this bike? What do they cost and where do I get one?

JayLael - 06/29/12 at 4:25pm

I will build to suit. Thanks all for the nice comments. By the way, Paul gave some poor guy my phone number, and he left a message, but when I tried to call him back the phone number was wrong. I really can't call back if the number is garbled or incorrect. Gary Bleach is what I think his name was, but it was hard to tell.
There are basically 3 models so far. The shorter one for ace 90, ace 100, ace 100 B and early super rat w. stock swingarm.
The Most popular one is for model 94 and model 95 wombats.
The third one is for Road Toad, O3 Wombat, late super Rat, and Super Combat.
The installation requires the lower front corner of the chain guard to be trimmed back, if you are running a chain guard.
The first two types cost $60.00 plus shipping.
The third type is $75.00 plus shipping. In most cases the shipping is about five bucks.
Send your check to me via snail mail and I will build you one and send it out within one week. I build them in my garage so it takes a little time.
send check to:
Jay Lael
1655 S Elm St # 103
Canby, OR
Be sure to indicate which bike you are putting it on. Note they use a pull spring, so there has to be some kind of bracket for this on the swingarm. I sold one to a guy in Australia, and he is running an aftermarket swingarm, which has nothing on it to hook the spring to.

thirdstone - 06/30/12 at 8:58pm

Hi Jay, the Australian guy was me. I bought the roller for the standard swing arm but soon after bought the KLP swingarm. That swing arm has no point to hook up the spring and I didn't `t want to hack into it to make one so it didn't get used. The KLP arm has a very good modern chain guide so after a few rides I am confident that I don`t need the roller. I thought I might have fitted it later using a different spring set up but I am happy with the set up as it is. That being said , If there is someone in Australia that would like to buy one of these excellent chain tensioners and save on international freight you can pm me and we will work out some thing.
Kev

END OF THREAD