Mike's Big Ride 2

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RichardMott

Re: Mike's Big Ride 2

Post by RichardMott »

June 12th

Took medicine bow loop along the old Lincoln hy,
Right after green river WY he hit a sand storm. 50 mph winds, hid behind a gravel pile with a Harley rider.

40 mph with the head and cross winds. That kept his speed down. About 40 mph.

He wants to know why whenever he goes by a herd of cattle they all look at him and shake their heads?

Did 309 miles today. Chance of rain tomorrow, might get a late start. On to Utah and Nevada.

He is staying here;
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gatew ... 10.2921517

June 12th continued;
Tomorrow and beyond.
Elko, Nevada.
Then on to:
Winnemucca, Nevada
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Even though I'm quiet on this one, I am watching. Wow, what an adventure!

Max
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Yes! 40mph ground speed with 40mph headwinds is a gutsy ride.

My parents were married in Winnemucca.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Mike Perrett's Big Ride goes on.

June 13th.

He did 367 miles today. The day started from Lyman WY with cold and windy weather. Made it to Elko, NV to the Oak Tree Inn.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lyman,+ ... d40.839278

Here is a Photo of Elko I took when I was there in 2014. The photo of his bike is just for effect. It was taken before the trip began. He is going to try to make it to Lake View OR, 335 mile away by tomorrow.
Elko Nevada
Elko Nevada
Photo of the 250 SL
Photo of the 250 SL
Rick Mott

RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

I was wrong about my photo. It is of Echo UT, Not Elko, NV. My bad!
Mike will be headed for the coast. Remember, this is a coast to coast ride. He started in Sea Isle City NJ last Monday. I think he is planning to go to Crescent City CA as his West coast visit before heading to Athena.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lakevie ... 41.7557501
Rick Mott

olddogs

Post by olddogs »

You need to rename this guy Iron Butt Mike. I rode from northern Michigan to Hodaka Days 2015 on a Gl1500 Goldwing and it almost wore me out. We did about 400 miles a day with cruise control, stereo sound and a full fairing.

:D He must be one tough dude. Maybe he left so early for Oregon so he could rest a week before the event.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

June 14

343 miles to Lake View Lodge.

Elko to Lake View, I 80 to State 95, then 140 to Dentio junction, no fuel there. Bought fuel from a Native American from her home.

On to Adel, nothing but flat.

Between Adel and Lake View, beautiful views along the canon. Wished it wouldn’t end.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Elko,+N ... 42.1887721

He will travel to Crescent City tomorrow, then back track to Grants Pass.

Mike will need to borrow a lawn chair while camping at Athena Park.
Rick Mott

Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I've got the lawn chair covered! Out there in the area around Denio Juction, Mike saw scenery like this.
In fact, it is quite possible the photo was taken on Highway 95. It is a looooonnnng way between towns in that part of the country!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

PS: Many of you may not believe the following statement, but it is a fact. There are towns in SE Oregon which are more than 4 hours from the nearest shopping mall.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I knew a guy who lived in the remote section of Idaho, 4 hours one way to buy milk, make sure you're stocked up before you head in....
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Mike Perrett called this morning. He has decided to stay a few more days in Lake View. The area seems to suit him. He will be visiting the local Chamber of Commerce for a local map. Wants to do some exploring. The coastal weather is a bit grim now and he is 3 days ahead of schedule. He wants to be in Athena on Tuesday. The poker run is Thursday, I think. He wants to ride in that.
Updates will be coming. I will be in Vernon California on business next week, but will still try to post his progress as he calls in. At least I will be in the same time zone. He was concerned about his cell phone minutes. I guess he has his priorities.
Rick Mott

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Does anybody know if Mike's using the injection pump or premix, or both? I also wonder what his favorite oil is and if he's using an ART or Wiseco piston.

As for his fuel range, that's a pretty big JerryCan he's packing, and recently it sounds like it still hasn't been enough to go between gas stations in the wastelands.

I just came back for an easy-going ride ride on a 250SL and the tank went from nearly full to nearly empty in 86 miles. Before leaving I even made sure the tires were pumped to 25 psi. The 250s sure can pound it back!
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Darrel,

Mike is using the oil injection system. His oil of choice in Pennzoil. I did notice a Valvoline bottle in one of his later photos. Maybe it wasn't available everywhere he went.
The piston, as far as I know, is a Hodaka with the skirt shortened, according to his modification list in the very first posting panel I did.
He has a total of 6.6 gallons of fuel which (depending on head winds and road conditions) give him a 300 mile range. The rear tank has a petcock and fuel line connected to the system. One day he only got 34 miles per gallon because of 40 mph winds. He found no gas stations in Denio Junction. Had to get fuel from a local home.
Rick Mott

jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

So, I was thinking that if someone going to hodaka days had an extra air mattress that they could bring for Mike, I am sure he would appreciate not sleeping on the ground!!! It probably would have to be a twin or a double size, I'm not sure how big his tent is. Probably not too big.
If no one has one, I would be more than willing send via PayPal what ever a twin size air mattress costs, and a pump if need be, to air it up. Or maybe I could see if I could have one shipped to someone in time, but that's doubtful it would make it there in time.

Let me know if this might work some how. Thanks.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Looks like he will be travelling from Lakeview, OR to Crescent City, CA today. He could back track to Grants Pass if he doesn't want to spend too much time in Crescent City.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oak+Tre ... 390069!3e0
Rick Mott

viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Indeed what a fascinating story about a man with balls of steel. This kind of ride is not for the light hearted. Kudos to Mike for making this an adventure of a lifetime! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Rick-
If Mike wants to break his ride at Eugene, We'd be happy to put him up for the night. We're about six hours from Crescent City and an equal time to Athena. I'll be leaving Tuesday for Athena.

Bob
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

HD starts next week and _that_ is the BIG ride.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Bob,

I will pass your offer on the Mike tonight when he calls. I think he was planning to be in Athena on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have your phone number in my cell phone, so I will have him call you if he wants to stay with you. is it still ***-***- 0101...?
Rick Mott

RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Mike Perrett's coast to coast ride continued. He made it to the west coast today.

June 16

Mike did 314 miles today
Got a photo of the trusty Hodaka 250 SL under the city sign of Crescent City, CA
He rode Route 66 between Klamath Falls and Ashland, OR
Best road he has ever been on in all his years bike riding. Expected to see Ben Cartwright and his sons at any moment.
Now camped among the redwoods in Panther Flats Campgrounds.
Plans to be in Athena by Tuesday. He will arrive earlier if they have something for him to do. Perhaps he can arrow the poker run.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Crescen ... 945758!3e0
Rick Mott

bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

As offered, Mike is welcome. Sunday or Monday nights sound most likely. We have a separate "guest suite" with its own bath. Both Gregg & I will be arriving Athena Tuesday afternoon. The road ride will likely need to be "posted" on Wednesday, as Bruce Kron (Ben's successor as "TT Czar") expects to arrive late Tuesday or early Wednesday. He would welcome Mike's help laying it out, as he doesn't know the local roads well.
Bob
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Bob,

I think Mike's plan it to camp in the Athena park while he in in Athena. I don't think he is planning to visit Eugene.
camping is second nature for Mike
camping is second nature for Mike
Rick Mott

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Rick, check your Private Messages on this site. OK?
Ed
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Mega Congrats to Mike on yet another amazing Hodaka adventure. His 2008 ride on his 175 from western Pennsylvania to Hodaka Days was, in many ways, the inspiration for my own ride from Philly to Athena in 2011 aboard my own 125 Wombat. On the second day of my ride I met up with Mike in Clarion, Pa and we rode together for a couple of hours almost to the Ohio state line. Great memories!

RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Looks like Mike has finished the journey to Athena part. Now to enjoy his visit. Great job preparing on his bike. It was a very interesting to trip I am sure. The trip back will be courtesy of Dan (Throwchain) Killian. Have fun Mike.
Rick Mott