Gas question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
sparkyj

Gas question

Post by sparkyj »

Hi guys,
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

This newly acquired Hodaka Ace has fuel in the tank already. Sort of a bluish color so I assume it has been pre-mixed. Smells ok :-)

What is the 2 stroke mix ratio running supreme soCal gas? I usually opt for Chevron around here. Anyone got a formula to start with, especially if I just want to start with a gallon for testing?
(or even a bypass Qt upside-down bottle test, bypassing the tank).

Just need to get it running.

thanks
socalhodaka

Re: Gas question

Post by socalhodaka »

Are you in SoCal? I run Chevron 91 mixed 40:1 with Yamahlube. The thing is if your not going to ride it for a while drain the system.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I suppose you could always try the fuel that is already in the tank. Ask the guy you bought it from how old it is. But if its age isn't known, it is simpler to dump it and start over. Yamalube is blue if I remember correctly, as are many other premix oils.

May we assume here you didn't test run the bike before purchase? Was it offered as a runner, or as one needing fixing first?
Hydraulic Jack
sparkyj

Post by sparkyj »

I bought the bike not running.
Thanks for the oil to gas ration. 3.2 oz per gallon it seems.

I will need to drain the oils and grease the shifter on the magneto side, since I had to replace the cover and shift element.
What lubes and oil procedures do you guys recommend, along with capacities? I've searched this forum but cant seem to get specifics.
Would like to fire this up today. :-)

Also need a throttle cable for a 1969 ACE 100, don't know if it needs the angle bent arm model or not.
I could probably temporarily use one of my old triumph cables, if I just had an adjuster nut!
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Replacement cables made for your exact model are available from Paul Stannard at Strictly Hodaka, as well as from Hodaka-Parts dot com. No need to use wrong cables.

Find a manual for the Ace 100, and most of your questions will be answered, keeping in mind the manuals were written in a prior century.

Capacities are listed on the spec sheet, a link for which was posted in another thread today. Cruise through the websites that specialize in Hodaka. There is information in abundance and tons of parts.
Hydraulic Jack
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

With a non-runner of uncertain ancestry I'd be inclined to dump the unknown fuel.mix and use a known gas premix. Eliminate all the variables you can.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
sparkyj

Post by sparkyj »

That spec sheet is great!
https://www.strictlyhodaka.com/v/vspfil ... %20100.jpg

Starting a new thread about the "No Start" issue.