replacement coil

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
danmwarren78

replacement coil

Post by danmwarren78 »

I have a 73 Combat Wambat. The main coil needs to be replaced. Wondering what coil would work on my bike. Ant ideas.

Thanks Dan
Bill2001

Re: replacement coil

Post by Bill2001 »

Could this be related to your "Fuel Issues" posted a few months back? How did that issue get resolved?
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
danmwarren78

Post by danmwarren78 »

Got the fuel issue settled. Now I've got no spark..Have replaced and relocated condenser a few month's ago. Road last weekend all was well. Now no spark.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Last week it worked. This week no spark. So it's the coil?? Have you changed the spark plug?
Hydraulic Jack
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Check wire connections first and make sure the plug cap is tight on the coil lead. The cap can come loose and cause loss of spark. They make 6 volt replacement coils and while not identical, they are inexpensive and are actually smaller and fit nice under the tank. I have used them on a number of rebuilds.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

I'm not sure which aftermarket coils work, but the Wombat 94 uses the same exciter coil as a pre-74 Kawasaki KE-125, so the main coil should be the same, too.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Posted in February from Brian Z,
To determine if your coil is okay, measure the resistance between the black and blue wires of the coil. The ohmeter should indicate low resistance (less than 10 ohms). Now measure from the spark plug cap to the frame. The ohmeter should measure somewhere in the thousands of ohms (mine measure 10,000 - 20,000 ohms).
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
danmwarren78

Post by danmwarren78 »

Ok thanks. All wires are good. Tried new plug still no spark. Will check coil with meter, if bad I'll look for an aftermarket coil.

Dan