First Day of Spring!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: First Day of Spring!

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Victor. We live on a 40 acre wildlife area that we have created through the years with wetland and prairie restorations. There are many Canada goose nests on the property but we call this couple the early birds. Each year they come to nest on a pond next to the house. I shot the picture off our back deck. Even they are about two weeks early.

Max

PS--they tolerate us but they just hate Hodakas and the four wheeler. Riding season occurs after nesting season each year. Being a conservationist and an off road rider I know both sides of the story!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

That's great! It's wonderful to encourage wildlife on your property. And it's nice that you don't hunt them as well! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I can't resist teasing my snow laden friends of the North! A little time in the photo blind this morning and I bagged this shot of Hooded Mergansers socializing with Red Eared Sliders, Not bad if I do say so myself! Next my wife showed me a fresh batch of Morel mushrooms from the woods! Great start for the day, hmm, what's next! :o

Spring is indeed here at least in Kansas!

Maxie

PS--Did I mention that Wild Turkey season opened last week and the crappie are biting? I really do have the battery charger on the Yamaha XS-650. Lots to do here all at once. :?
Attachments
Fresh Morels, yummy!
Fresh Morels, yummy!
Signs of Spring!
Signs of Spring!
Last edited by hodakamax on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max how many baby geeses will them gooses have in a normal season. Is a baby really a gosling? If A daddy goose is a gander what is the momma goose called? and will they go on north before they go back south? Why is everything begin with a G? Goose, Geese, Gosling, Gander and Gaggle and will knowing this make a hodaka run better? -----------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Clarence, only one question per post please only because these are all important questions which might require extensive thought to answer properly. Let's do the last and easy one first. Will it make a Hodaka run better? Maybe. I'll have to contemplate the others and maybe consult with the Old Man. 8-)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I just looked in the Ducktionary and the answer for the first question is only one nesting per year with 4-6 baby geeses (Is that a word? Spell Check has it underlined for me.) Alright, two answered, I''ll work on the rest.

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Geese is the plural of goose. Geeses is the pure Redneck plural version! LMAO!!! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ah, just as I suspected, thanks for clearing that one up Victor. Being from Kansas I already knew that. 8-)

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well, the Morel mushrooms are gone, down the hatch with steak and a good Red. Part of the Kansas rite of Spring, Wow! Fried crappie and mushrooms are another way to do it, all Spring related. Who started all of this? Victor of course. Being a fan of Spring I try to do each and ever event after my least favorite season, Winter, hate it. I need a new Hodaka project and this week-end I'm going to visit an old life long friend and motorcycle racing guy. He's been procrastinating and sitting on a hoard of Hodaka stuff for years. He does talk about building something, but it ain't gonna happen. I wish it would happen and we could do the Last Great Ride. I need to buy, borrow or steal this hoard before both of us get any more ancient. I could get maybe one more project out of this. I hate to build his machine for the Last Great Ride but I would, he's a great friend.

Well, that's the continuing Spring, and hopefully new project, report. I'll keep you posted.

Maxie
Attachments
Rite of Spring, Morel mushroom feast!
Rite of Spring, Morel mushroom feast!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

But, but...
How much wood can a woodchuck really chuck???
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Depends on how far you want him to chuck it! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

He can chuck as much as a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. -----Clarence
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

And If I could find a good wook chuck he can chuck his wood right into my wood chuck shed
MTRob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

While you guys are still chucking around with that woodchuck, we had fresh asparagus tonight just cut. Actually we do have woodchucks on the property but I don't know if they are awake from hibernation as we haven't seen any yet. I do have funny woodchuck stories good for a laugh but today it's the Spring report for you northerners. May you thaw out soon!

Maxie
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Yay! We be back from a roadtrip thru the aether.

No woodchucks. We do wombats.
FB_IMG_1489901298086.jpg
FB_IMG_1489901298086.jpg (16.32 KiB) Viewed 5943 times
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

OK, a couple more and I'll leave you alone. Being a photographer and living in the middle of 40 acres, I'm always documenting seasonal changes from various places in the restored wildlife area. The set-up is a full frame Nikon D3x with a 16mm Fisheye lens that sees about 170 degrees wide. In this case I have semi-permanent mount on our back upper deck and I try to shoot something every week or so. I'm looking NNE so I can't get sunrise an sunsets but I'm always on the look-out for weather related events such as towering thunderstorms or snow. I've always envisioned a tornado passing but you have to look out for what you wish for I suppose.

I guess my point here is that this place has turned into a jungle the last few days and it always amazes me how fast this all happens! :shock:

Maxie

PS--big files, it make take a minute to load. My that lens is sharp! Also notice the big limb blown out over the dock by the first Spring storm. I missed that shot!
Attachments
March 6, 2017
March 6, 2017
Today, April 20, 2017
Today, April 20, 2017
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

I've done photography since I was a kid, too. Mostly variations on nature photography.

My latest excursion is time lapse photography. I got a dedicated entry-level time lapse camera with a weatherproof housing. A simple camera with basic exposure bells and whistles, it has a lot of flexibility with it's intervalometer. Fixed lens, 40mm equiv FL, but an add-on fisheye lens is available.

My primary interest is cloud photography. Storms, lightning, sunsets and billowy summer cumulus clouds. I've tried a couple of snow storms (which fizzled) and a couple of squall-line storms which were interesting but not spectacular. And practicing using the camera on this or that type of cloud or storm. I'll just have to be in the right place at the right time.

And, of course, the Wombat is running like a top.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

OK! I am sure it looks similar in Colorado today, but this is what I woke up and saw today! And it's still coming down! :mrgreen: Victor
Attachments
IMG_4771.JPG

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow Victor! Hard to top that! Ours came as rain with 4.25 inches last night for a total of over 10 inches in the last week. The pond was up over a foot from the last picture even before last nights "toad strangler" as we call it in Kansas. Yearly average total here about 39 inches so we got about 1/4 of our yearly average in a week! Reporting at full pool for pond and wetlands!

Maxie
Attachments
After a Kansas toad strangler!
After a Kansas toad strangler!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Since I'm between motorcycle projects and have nothing to write about except my silly encounters in "old Man Going North" and you have to share that space with Clarence along with not seeing the Old Man that often leaves me in the writing desert for days on end.

Ah, finally a bit of excitement this morning worthy of show and tell. Around the pond shown above and many other wetlands on the property, My wife and have installed many Wood duck houses for our on-going wildlife conservation projects. One of the side benefits of all this is that I'm also a wildlife photographer and occasionally things happen to be recorded.

A few minutes ago while drinking coffee on the back deck overlooking the pond in the view shown above, I saw a duck fly down from one of the nesting structures. It was a Hooded Merganser, an unusual and secretive tree cavity nesting duck of SE Kansas. Suddenly baby megansers began to jump from the entrance hole and I ran for the big lensed Nikon. It was all over in less than two minutes and here's one of the six shots taken. I've never seen this happen let alone get to photograph it. A good start for a photographer's day! :)

Maxie
Attachments
Brand new Hooded Mergansers at Max's place!
Brand new Hooded Mergansers at Max's place!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Pretty!!
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill