B+ shift adjustment

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
relic

Re: B+ shift adjustment

Post by relic »

Success. Where would I be without you guys??? I may have to do it again as it looks like I have more that the called for end play. So I may have to add a shim or two. But now I "get it".
Next up? Back to the adjustment and hopefully afterwards a gearbox that shifts through all the gears.
Regarding the control shaft clip; as someone noted in a previous discussion on this topic, its the same as the starter drive on some machines including Polaris snowmobiles for which the shop I work at is a dealer. These things spit them out often enough that I am quite familiar with them. Of course the Hodaka shifter is much smaller and has the added feature of the spring tension to work against. The starter drive also has a spring but its much lighter and being larger in all respects is easier to deal with.
I laid the Hodaka engine on the left side with a piece of wood under the control shaft. This pushed the shaft to the right and kept it there.
I found an old tool kit open end wrench (thin) which was the perfect size to push against the clip collar. I bent the wrench and drilled a hole to allow a six mil bolt to retain the wrench in one of the side cover threaded holes. As I tightened the bolt, this pushed the wrench down and the bent end in turn pushed the collar down and held it. From there it was a fiddly but simple task to fit the clip on the end of the shaft. With both hands free to play with the clip.
I also thought some tape over the holes was a good idea.

I appreciate everyone's advice and help.

Ken
ps- I wouldn't hesitate to buy the proper tool if I found I had to do this job again. There is no substitute for having the right tool for the job. The advantage I have is working with a couple of other mechanics in a shop that sells several different brands of motorcycles, atv's, outboards, snowmobiles etc and we work on competitive products as well. So we are used to improvising and finding ways to get the job done.
Last edited by relic on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder where this goes...?
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Brilliant!

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Very clever Ken, I also see that you taped off some of the many escape routes the clips often run for. Again, Bravo!

Max
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

I have one of the original tools, but I think you could duplicate one without too much challenge. Smart to cover other places flying clips may end up residing...
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

As previously mentioned, "Brilliant!".

I would recommend borrowing a concept from the medical field . . . fully cover/drape the "body", leaving only the surgical site visible. :-)

Ed
PS: Still chuckling at the ingenuity of the "bent wrench control shaft snap ring retainer hold-down" tool!!
Keep the rubber side down!
relic

Post by relic »

Thanks everyone. I have a tool box drawer full of bent and mutilated wrenches, screwdrivers etc; each one has served a purpose over the years. Even if I never used them twice they remind me of problems solved and jobs done. I'm sure many of you are the same.
And yes Ed you're right, I should have laid a rag over the entire area. Exposed bearings and all. Funny I hadn't even thought of those holes when I removed the clip...
Tonight I installed the mag cover and adjusted the new shift arm. And I can easily engage all gears. Yippppeeee!!!
I expect once the engine is in the frame I will have to fine tune the adjustment but spinning the sprocket by hand its all working as it should.

Ken
I wonder where this goes...?