Plating sanity check please...

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
squid on a 300

Plating sanity check please...

Post by squid on a 300 »

The local plater (very reputable and does over the top quality show work) wants $650.00 to re-chrome my two rat rims.. Going to check other platers..any recommendations on who does a nice job in the north east without needing a second mortgage?..any of you guys who have done restorations and have had rims replated have any recommendations?

thanks
bob
Zeek

Re: Plating sanity check please...

Post by Zeek »

Seems a lot even by Aussie standards! I was quoted $180 each at one point.
Whoever does it though has to retain the stampings othwise you may as well buy $80 new rims.
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I used to send things to a chrome shop in Houston, Texas but they were just ridiculous in price. Expensive! A friend of mine that restores Hodaka recommended Salt Lake Chrome in Salt Lake City, Utah and I have had a bunch of stuff done by them since. Really good quality at a much lower price.
I have some model 93 rims there now and they charged me $185.00 plus shipping for both. They have not returned them yet. Any day now I hope, but they have been the best for price and quality. The place in Texas was thievery when you compare prices. The owner is Kevin Williams that I met on my way to Hodaka Days this past year. I am going to have him do a tank soon once I get a dent removed. Bruce Young who sells Hodaka parts also recommends two guys in Utah that do chrome work. I have never used them however. He says they are real good also. Good luck!
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

thanks...that just what i was looking for...let me know how your rims turn out when you get them back...i'll give them a call and ship mine out to them..
bob
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

The rims came the other day and as usual are just gorgeous! They do the best job at a very reasonable price. I am going to have them respoked by Buchanans wheel and rim in Azusa California next. They also do a great job. Good luck
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

can you still read the date codes on the rims?..if you could post a pic of their finished product it would be much appreciated (if you didnt send them out to be respoked yet)
thanks
bob
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I will check and see if the codes can be read when I get home. I will let you know. Thats a good idea.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I looked for the code stamped on the rims and did not see any. The rims were rusty and in poor shape when I sent them to be chrome plated I understand they could be removed from the polishing they do to the steel before and during the rechroming process. If you wanted those codes left on I am sure they could leave them on. You would just need to tell them to do so. The wheels Salt Lake Chrome rechromed for me were really in bad shape when I sent them. Rusty with some dents but they even removed those dents and man you should see them now. Just beautifull. With shipping and their charge each one cost me $104.46 total. Next time I send some rims which will be soon I am going to put a note with them to leave the code stampings on the rims. They can work around them I know. Those codes make it more original. Have a wonderful day!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I will try and post a pic of them tomorrow, they are gorgeous!