chrome gas tank dent repair

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

chrome gas tank dent repair

Post by efkruger »

I found a model 93 gas tank that does not have a speck of rust inside it. Unbelievable! It does have a dent in one side. Does anybody know a good dent repair shop I can send it to? I have seen some videos of paintless dent repair being done but would like a recommendation from somebody who has had it done by someone before.
RichardMott

Re: chrome gas tank dent repair

Post by RichardMott »

I was talking to a guy at the York bike swap meet and show about "dent removal of Hodaka chrome tanks". He said that if the dent doesn't have a crease, it can be removed using dry ice. :o Yes, dry ice placed against the dent. Works like magic. Worth at try. :ugeek:
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I've also used the dry ice technique! As Richard stated, there must not be a crease in the dent.

Obtain the dry ice. Get the tank warmed up by placing in the sun or in a mildly warm oven or warming with a hand held blow drier. Then touch the dry ice to the center of the dent and move it in small circles inside the dent.

The idea is to keep the rest of the tank warm and applying the ice to the center of the dent, causing the metal in the dent to contract quickly and POP! The metal shrinks in size due to the temp change causing the dent to pop out! Simple physics but it works!!! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

You have to have your wifes high watt hair blower.(propane tank) Bought the dust spray keyboard computer cleaner. You can buy it anywhere it gets real cold spraying on the spot you wont to pop out, Once you see the spot turn ice cold . Hit it with the high blowers heat and watch the the small hole tighten up Yoused it many times plus on my vehicles Works
MTRob
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And you can get a paintless dent puller for about $20. Consists of a "bridge" and a puller that attaches to the dent with high-temp hotglue. Works like a charm.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill