Hodaka Headlight

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
MTRob

Hodaka Headlight

Post by MTRob »

Just thought I'd let you know I saw listed on eBay are headlights for the early 3 plug hodakas and the older light with the three wires colored coded.
6 Volt 30 watt high/low
Don't want to step on Paul but he doesn't offer either.
Just wanted to let you know If you need one.
MTRob
relic

Re: Hodaka Headlight

Post by relic »

Good info but will an early bike power a 30 watt lamp? The manual shows a 15 watt I think. I'm curious because I happen to have a '74 DT 360 parts bike that has a good 6volt 35 watt head light that seems to fit my B+ bucket. And I wonder if I can use it?
Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

relic wrote:I'm curious because I happen to have a '74 DT 360 parts bike that has a good 6volt 35 watt head light that seems to fit my B+ bucket. And I wonder if I can use it?
Probably not. Even though it may fit, the wattage is too high for the Ace 100B+. The Ace 100B+ has only a single light coil. Maximum load is about 18 - 20W. The current draw for a 35W bulb on a 20W system would cause a few problems. It would work great on a dual light coil system though, (94 Wombat's and later), as long as the brackets were the same and it fit into the trim ring and bucket.

$0.02

Roger
relic

Post by relic »

Thanks Roger. Too bad as the sealed beam unit fits the Hodaka bucket and trim ring exactly. But this is what I suspected. I'll have to move on to plan "B" :)
Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
lc4mike

Post by lc4mike »

Correct. A 35/35w would work in a road toad and wombat, not an ace100 or B+ which requires a 15/15w
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Can you just fit a Wombat / Toad magneto? Or not that simple :D
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Zeek wrote:Can you just fit a Wombat / Toad magneto? Or not that simple :D
I remember thinking this same question but I can't remember if I was able to answer it or not. I have the parts, I think I'll check tonight when I get home. The question would be does the stator plate fit and does the flywheel fit on the crankshaft. If the answer is yes to both, good chance it will. I just remember there was something that made this a non-option. Also, I think the flywheel shafts are smaller in diameter on the Ace 100's and DS's, so I am not optimistic, but I think I'll check anyway to refresh my memory.

Roger
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I don't know about the Road Toad, but the Wombat had a thicker crankshaft profile where you mount the flywheel. A Wombat ignition will not go on an early 100, unless you traded out the crankshaft for a later style with the same profile as the Wombat's. I would suspect that the Road Toad had the thicker crank profile, but I have never owned one so I don't know for sure. The model 98 Super Rat did have the later style crank as it used the same CDI as the Super Combat.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Here is what happened I got ahold of both the headlights on eBay one for the ace 90 ,100. with the 3 prongs and hooked that one up to to my 63 ace 90
The bulb says 6 volt 30 watt , It came with both high and low beam but was a little dim at idle. But when I went and road it at higher rpm normal ridinging speed it worked great. High and low beam.
Same thinig with the 125 and larger bikes with the 3 wires , the headlight came colored coded wires plug right in and is 35/ 25 watt and it works really good. (Order more before gone) Our bikes are so old if we can find somehing thats work good grab it. As for the queston about 15watt good luck.
My dadas old honda 90 used the same headlight as the 125 differernt wiring.
just some info.
MTRob