Offroad boots

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Offroad boots

Post by Bill2001 »

Getting geared up for trail and crosscountry riding. Nothing competitive. I always ride with boots, typically motorcycle boots of the touring variety. Bought a pair of MX boots (Cycle Gear, ONeal brand) with the intent of getting more shin and foot protection. Problem is that the boots seem way too rigid the be comfortably useable. Not "stiff because they are new", but actually rigid and un-bendable because of steel shanks and armor plating. Can't even flex the ankle of the boot. It might just be that I am unaccustomed to this style of boot, but I'm wondering if it might be "too much boot" for this use. I might be better off getting a more flexible Dual-Sport boot instead of an MX boot.

Advice? Specific names would help so I could look examples up.

TIA, as usual.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Re: Offroad boots

Post by hodakamax »

No advice, but the same problem with a new pair of Tech 3 Alpinestars. Unusable. A few practice sessions and no way I could ride effectively in them. I couldn't feel the brake or shifter. When setting on the ground it takes considerable effort to even get up. Walking is even difficult. Keep us posted on what you find, I too am shopping.

Max

Ps--We did discuss this a bit on pg 18-19 of The Day One Project a while back but I never came to any conclusions. I'm still wearing my decades old Torsten Hallman boots which are older than most people.
MWL

Post by MWL »

Off-road boots are made to protect your feet while riding. They are not really made for walking. I have AlpineStar Tech 7's and have no problem riding in them. If you need a little movement at your ankle, leave the top of the boot a little loose on you calf.
Mike
relic

Post by relic »

If cash wasn't an issue I'd like to try the Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots. I think they were originally meant for trials but are also being sold as ADV boots. Water proof, breathable and supposedly flexible enough to walk in. But pricey. I have Aerostich Combat Lites and I walk all day in them. Ok for street and I do wear them in the gravel but they don't offer the protection of a true off road boot. But then I'm not a true off road rider, :)
The last few seasons I've been commuting in my steel toe/shank work boots. I always have the mid height ones that cover the ankle and I tie them to the top. But laces aren't a great idea on a bike.
I'm interested to hear what others will say as well.

Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
motovate

Post by motovate »

They are built to protect your feet and the more you wear them the more you get used to them but they will never be walking boots. I was real glad I had a set on when trail riding down a hill quicker then I should of and hit a rock so hard it almost unseated me with my foot. Even with the good boots on it hurt. At the time I was basically riding every day for work and didn't want to stop. So I just kept working and eventually it quit hurting. Maybe I actually cracked my foot - I don't know because I never got it X rayed. But I'm still walking and the hurt went away years ago :).

Having said that you could think "old School" and get a good set of 8" working boots or logger smoke jumper style boots that let you chinch them up tight. Many of us used those for years and some still do depending on what kind of riding you do. You actually don't need "motorcycle" boots. White's is one brand of boots that Wildland Firefighters and Loggers have been using for years ( I've still got a set of wall hangers. You used to be able to order them direct and they would build them to your feet if you wanted them to do that or send them an out line of your feet and they would come close to matching your sides, you could also get different soles if you didn't want the vibram lugs and if you wear them out you can send them back and get them rebuilt. They reused the uppers and repaird them if needed and then build up the basics & soles (not a resole) and they are good to go. They aren't cheap but very good. Wescoast is another heavy duty but lasting work boot, and even Red Wing makes a Logger/Firefighter boot but they don't last as long. Some don't like them because they have higher heels but again you get used to them. And then there are the smooth soled 8" construction worker boots that spent a lot of time on a set of pegs. Just a few other ideas.
LBM
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good discussion at the "Day One" thread. The ONeal boots were mentioned, favorably, and seem to be a little lighter than a top-end boot. The price on them wasn't bad at ~$109, so they are not worrisome like $300-400 boots. I'll probably keep them for rough conditions.

And start shopping for something along the lines of a trials boot. Which in this day and age would be classed as an "adventure" or a "dual sport" boot. I'll have to haunt the local shops in town or shop Internet. No easy answers.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Keep using them they will break in or you will get more use to the fit and comfort level. The cheaper boots are also just not as comfortable. However if they cause blisters you have an issue...I always use Alpinestar Tec 8's and my last pair broke in comfortably after 1 ride. However since I have been using the same brand and model for the last 25 years, my expectations of how they should feel are different from yours. Good MX boots do offer superior projection and support for riding off road. I ride in some pretty knarley conditions and compete in enduros so I look for as much protection as possible..On a ride in Idaho a few years ago I got a little too close to a rock and broke my left foot and 3 toes..As bad as that was it would have been worse without good boots...Reminder unlike Nancy Sinatra's, (old guy reference) these boot aren't made for walkin they are designed to protect...I have a pair of Gaerne Balance Boots I use for trials riding. I would not use these for the off road riding I do on my KTMs...Just not enough support or protection for my liking...
Bob
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And good points, Bob. I generally gear up for my street riding and traveling, but it's been many years since I've owned an off-road bike. At my age, proper gear is important since I don't bounce as well or heal as quickly as I did when I was a kid. So this is a time to start gearing up for offroad. I suspected that part of the "problem" with the boots is that they were new, and I was new to them. But since the boots are brand-new and unscuffed, this was the time to decide whether to use them or return/exchsmge them. I'll end up with different boots for different riding situations.

But at least I have my Hodie now, so all is well. :)
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

MetroRacing used to offer a vintage style leather boot from the same maker as the old Hi-Points. I got a pair back in 2008 or so. They have been great . . . and comfortable to wear all day and to walk in. Unfortunately, I see they are closing out on those boots and only have very small sizes available.

There is a Gaerne oiled leather trials boot . . . which looks like it would fill my bill if I were ordering vintage dirt biker boots.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

For comfort I like my 40+ year old Hi-Point boots (made by Alpine Star - same boot style that Metro was selling), but they probably don't offer the best of protection now-a-days. For racing I got the O'Neal Element boots, which seem to be pretty flexible but still offer modern protection. O'neal also offers a shorty boot that might work as long as your off-road riding it's very serious.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I always go for used already broke in. These Tech 8s are $300 new and were advertised for $75. I got them for $60 and will have many years left in them.
IMG_7234.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Got a pair of the Gaerne trials boots. Most comfortable boots out of the box I've ever owned. The soles and shinpieces are stiff enough for protection, but the boots are overall flexible enough for offtrail hiking.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I use Sidi Crossfire boots for MX and serious off-road riding where terrain is challenging. Excellent all-around protection. They have a hinge-like cam at the ankle that allows some flexion and if I'm going to do any walking of distance more than around my pit area, I unlatch the top two buckles. Pricey? Much less than a broken ankle. I think of boots much like helmets. Don't skimp. We all accept the fact that racing, off-road riding, and motorcycle riding in general have a built-in danger factor, but to a far greater extent we seek and enjoy the thrill and fun of it, so we armor ourselves to stack the deck in our favor. I take about 200 days of trauma surgery call per year. One of the more common types of motorcycle/ATV-related injury I see (behind the #1 - head injury in the UNHELMETED rider - insane) is lower extremity injury associated with inappropriate footwear. This is serious safety gear we are discussing here so I would suggest that ease of walking in off-road MC boots should be of secondary (tertiary?) importance. Its like a goalie selecting a pad system that allows him to skate faster. Bungee a pair of sneaks to your fender rack or leave a pair in your pit area and get the best, most protective boots you can afford. Personally, I keep a pair of tassled loafers in my pit area to wear around. People think its a hoot :) Kelly has a good point too. If you can get a hands-on inspection (not ebay) you might be able to score an $850 pair of barely used boots from some rich or growing kid for pennies on the dollar. These points, of course, don't apply to observed trials men (and women) where boot's sensitivity and nimbleness are of greater interest than as body armor. Bottom line - wear the best protective gear you can get your hands on EVERY RIDE.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The boot type used depends on the type of riding being done. MX and "serious" offroad riding probably needs stiffer boots. And chest protectors. And neck braces. And cetera. Offroad trail riding in the National forest where your are moving at a slower, more measured pace could require a lower level of body armor. Sure there is the possibility that you'll have an upset and twist an ankle or bang a shin, but tge speed will be lower. And there is the possibility of parking and hiking offtrail to visit a bluff shelter or waterfall, and changing shoes would be a PITA.
IMO the trials boots are a good choice for that.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Agreed, Bill. I should have been more specific in describing gear more indicated for competitive riding and bark busting and not for fun riding on more predictable terrain and at a more leisurely pace. There, I agree, just about any boot that rises above the ankle should be perfectly adequate. Sneakers? No. Never.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Here is a thread from ADVRider on Gaerne boots, and a good discussion of riding boots in general.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/g ... ew.669864/
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
mac

Post by mac »

Thanks for the link Bill.I did not read the whole thread yet but there is some good info there on sizing.

I have been thinking about getting the Gaerne boots.My only concern is a some feed back on a thread on Trials Central where there is mention about not enough toe protection.A few of the guys on there have injured their toes or,I think,maybe even broken a toe in the Gaerne oiled boots.I guess it might depend what type of terrain you ride in.

I bought a pair of cheaper ONeal mx boots a few years ago and did have a hard time adjusting to the lack of feel,but I do think they have saved my toes and top of my foot a few times.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

On the way to Hodaka Days 2011(? ) I stopped at a dealer in Washington and bought a pair of MSR VX1 boots, which retailed for only a hundred bucks at the time. The same boots I'm sure are rebadged as Fly Mavericks and several other brands, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I was horrified when I first put them on at the Bad Rock and tried walking and riding -- it was like wearing cement shoes! For all that, they did break-in eventually so now I can walk reasonably well, if I have to. But the no-compromise design (biased for protection) has definitely saved me from some temporary pains and possible injury since. If I ever need to replace them I might buy the latest VX_ boots, or equivalent, again -- roots and flying rocks abound where we ride.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Smart! Our group's riding land is single track trail through dense woods with rocks, roots, downed trees, ruts, you name it. I'm sure my Sidis have saved me innumerable times.