Combat suspension upgrade

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
budpat105

Combat suspension upgrade

Post by budpat105 »

Ol Combat running pretty good so time to smooth out some bumps. Looks like progressive shocks on back work good. Also seems that the 03 wombat forks are an easy swap if a person can find some. How about the conical hub for brakes, most of them are laced to steel wheels, is there a new aluminum wheel that will work? I hate to take apart original wheel. OK to reuse spokes? Any other options that everyone likes? Thinking about a swing arm mod, whats best with that. Thanks
olddogs

Re: Combat suspension upgrade

Post by olddogs »

A 250 ED front wheel will work If you start with 03 front forks and swap some axles and bushings.Caution. The 250 and 03 axles are different, along with the bearings and spacers, Swapping an aluminum rim from a later CW, Super Combat or late Rat to the conical hub is a 2 hour project once you locate the spokes. Just take some pictures of the spoke layout before you start. You can always swap the old hub back in.

I have found most older 36 spoke 21 inch aluminum rims to be a direct swap. This leaves your stock wheel alone to return to stock in the future. Source a late model hub and a spoke set and have at it. I have done many with salvage yard rims found for under 20 bucks. A quick tip is to use bolt cutters or die grinder to remove the salvage yard spokes. You wont need them and could use time you save for later. Pictures and patience.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

check eBay, suzuki TS, TM. Yamaha MX, kawasaki kx all use similar. I got a complete 74 yamaha mx front wheel and all and its pretty much the same.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

or this route, but you need the whole fronthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/76-HONDA-ELSINORE-MR17 ... Sw74FXOfPi forks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

If you get the complete 03 front end, you'll have the conical hub/axle/spacers too.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Bullfrog wrote:If you get the complete 03 front end, you'll have the conical hub/axle/spacers too.

Ed
And the right stem