Super combat timing

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Jack Elliott

Super combat timing

Post by Jack Elliott »

Have finally got my Super Combat back together after pretty much complete rebuild.
Engine has rebore,bearings seals etc but otherwise stock.
Have refitted cdi plate and rotor but no idea how to time it. Was thinking that if the plate is "centered' between the 2 mounting screws (bolts in my case) that if I lean it to left it advances and to the right it retards ignition? Is that a good position for my first attempt at start up?
any advice would be appreciated!!
dirty_rat

Re: Super combat timing

Post by dirty_rat »

To time you you need a dial indicator that fits into the spark plug hole. You then find TDC (top dead center) and zero out the dial indicaton. You then back off (turn clockwise) the piston to what you want to set the timing at (usually either in fractions of a millimeter or fractions of an inch). Once you have the piston at the proper location, you line up the marks on the flywheel and the stator. Once done, it's a good idea to verify it's correct by using a timing light.
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Thanks for that
I think my main problem now is trying to find those marks. I have a mark on the rotor but am struggling to find the mark on the stator plate?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

If nothing else, you can make your own marks. You will need a timing light to do so. Hook up the timing light and remove the spark plug (make sure to hook the light up to the plug and ground the plug to the head. Don't try to kick the engine through without the spark plug attached and grounded or you can fry the ignition). Now make a mark on the rotor that is easy to see (paint works well). Kick the bike over a few times and see where the mark on the rotor lines up with the stator. Make a mark on the stator at that location. Now kick it through a couple more times to insure the two lines line up what the spark plug fires. Once that is done, you have your timing marks. Just set you piston to the correct location BTDC and align the two marks.
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Thanks Dirty Rat
think I found marks.Timed it to fire at around 2.4 BTDC and had it running fairly sweetly(briefly) on the weekend. I shut it down and couldnt get it to run again. Thought i might have bumped the timing out and left it .I was clutch starting the bike as I dont have a kick lever that fits and was a bit preoccupied riding my wombat at a flat track ride day (so much fun!) Checked it last night and timing seems not too have altered.
a correct Kick lever is on its way so once I fit it will give the electrics a full checking over.
Thanks for the timing light info ,that is a really great explanation of how to do it and I will be using it to recheck my timing.