October 17 - Resonator Revisited Material!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bobwhitman

October 17 - Resonator Revisited Material!

Post by bobwhitman »

Hodaka Folk:

Leaves are turning, fall is coming, and it is time to assemble the next Resonator Revisited. I need to ask for material by October 17th.

Time to share your summer triumphs (Hodakas, actually), technical or humorous (pratfalls & endos), proud or serious (local/regional/national championships?) Any and all will be appreciated. Racing wins (or “ya shoulda seen the one that got away”), cool trail rides across our fair (our your fair, for our Canadian and Australian members) country, we’d love to hear about your thrills and, um, learning experiences.

Remember, our two “sections” – one on member’s bikes, to showcase any cool bikes members are willing to share (and this means you, Kelly with your cool trialer); and “Tech Tips” – a section intended to include short pieces on clever little time/labor/cost – saving ideas writers are willing to share. Please consider contributing these short items. You can’t let Max have all the glory! In addition, of course, to your more lengthy, and illuminating works!

Our target for the next issue is to produce and distribute the next issue by early November. Allowing for editing & layout, I need your stuff no later than October 17th . Please help with timely submissions.

As I’ll be in Italy between now and mid-October, searching for long-lost hoards of NOS Hodaka parts squirreled away in remote corners of the Vatican, or hidden – along with decades-old bottles of wine - in small Tuscan villages, please copy Gregg Floren on any questions or material you send.

Bob [email protected]
541-954-0101
RichardMott

Re: October 17 - Resonator Revisited Material!

Post by RichardMott »

Bob,

Are you running behind or did I not get my copy this month? I sent in an article in Sept.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The Resonator Revisited is still in production . . . you haven't missed an issue.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Bob, I just spent an absolutely delightful afternoon visiting the Midsonian Museum in Riverside, CA. I barely scratched the surface. In addition to two pristine, unrestored Hodakas (Ace 90 and Combat Wombat) and many Hodaka-powered machines, he has a mind-boggling collection of vintage dirt bikes and race memorabilia that was truly stunning to behold. Bultacos, CZs, Rickmans, Greeves, CanAms, Zundapps, Huskys, Montessas, Monarks, Harleys, Ossas, you name it, he had it in spades. If you think this would make for an interesting article for a future addition of The Resonator Revisited, I'd be very happy to prepare one. The man behind the collection is named Middy Boggio (age 68) and has been a SoCal racer (mostly desert/off-road) since the 60's. He was a most delightful and engaging host and he and his lovely wife, Laurie, welcomed us into their world with open arms confirming that motorcycle and especially vintage race motorcycle people are the nicest people on the planet. Let me know at your convenience and I'll get to work.

Best,

Matt

PS: The first bike he showed us was a concourse-quality Vincent Black Shadow. I didn't know whether to giggle like a school girl or weep the bitter tears of envy. That emotional conundrum was repeated countless times throughout the entire tour.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Matt, never heard of it. Is it private? Can you give me some info I would like to check it out. And where are you? I'm in San Diego and my storage unit is in Sun City, Riverside. Maybe we can meet up someday.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey Kelly, Yes, it is a private museum. Having said that, Middy welcomed us with the warmth of a long-time friend. We shared contact information and I left with his open invitation to return anytime - a offer I guarantee I will accept many times over. This is a guy you really need to know if you don't mind my saying so. He's as nice as the day is long. Lifetime desert/off-road racer. Incredibly funny. Stories that I could listen to for hours. Example - at the dawn of the "streaking" fad, apparently he was put up to the task of applying the craze to a desert race. He and his race partner hit the line wearing nothing but helmet and boots. Riiiiiight I'm thinking. Desert race with an unprotected johnson? No way. Then, right there on the wall hangs a photo of the two of them thrashing a pair of Ossas off into the desert BUCK NAKED. I was laughing so hard I about wet my pants. You can't make this stuff up. Middy is the real deal. I'm absolutely sure he'd be very happy to have a visit from you and if you'd like, I will give him a call and get his permission to give you his contact information. I'm sure he'd love to have you over. I'm not kidding when I say plan a day trip. There's just so much to see that I barely scratched the surface. In the meantime, you can check out some of his bikes on his website at midsonianmcmuseumorg.

Best,

Matt

PS - my wife's family lives in Orange, CA in Orange County. I visit usually twice a year for 10-12 days at a stretch and would love to get together!!
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Yes please, and again if your near maybe we can meet up sometime
Thanks Kelly
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'll really look forward to meeting you Kelly. As soon as we decide on the dates for our next visit I'll let you know right away. I'll PM you Middy's number once I get in touch with him. Also, I'll get that Rat air box off to you for your approval Tuesday.

All the best, Kelly,

Matt
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Thanks brother
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Right on! Just talked with Middy. He'd love to have you for a visit. Check your PM for his contact information.

Best,

Matt
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

oops...I mean email.