Re grounding after powder Coating?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Roddy boy

Re grounding after powder Coating?

Post by Roddy boy »

Just installed a 6v voltage regulator from a model 03 unto my 94. It struck me that the powder coating is so complete that any component that requires a frame ground needed to have some of the coating removed in order to insure continuity. In the case of the vr, I grounded it through the coil mount, and drilled out the coil mount holes a bit. My question is whether there are other points that I should pay attention to as well? As the battery itself is not grounded to the frame directly, and all the lighting components use a ground wire, where is the battery connection to the frame?
Calgary, Canada
socalhodaka

Re: Re grounding after powder Coating?

Post by socalhodaka »

If you took out the bearing cups for the triple clamps, swingarm bushing in the frame or on the arm file ore clean the PC off the flat area. This will prevent the PC from chipping when you pound or press the parts back in.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

If memory serves, the primary ground is the blue wire in the Stator. Two blue wires should be coming from the Stator, one to the coil and the other to the key switch. This means you will want a good connection between engine case and frame and key switch body to frame. This is how the VR is able to ground when attached to any point on the frame.

The blue wire to the key switch has two functions: 1) grounds the ignition when key is on "OFF" position and 2) completes the charging and lighting circuits when the key is "ON". I would probably use external/internal tooth washers on the inside of the battery tray to attach the key switch and maybe at least one for the engine mounts, rather than try to grind some PC away in those "visible" spots.

Roger
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good post, Roger. On "critical grounds" on painted surfaces, I use a star washer along with a dab of silicone grease. With high-current grounds-- like electric starter battery grounds-- I scrape the paint off.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Rod
When I powdered coated my last two bikes. I didn't worry about hooking up anything with the frame ground. I make wiring harnesses for the 94 Wombat
and the only grounds are at the battery and the stator-magneto blue wire and ignition.
Look at the pictures I sent you you will see where they go. If you need a harness for your 94 let me know I finnally got the right part ends from Aisa and will start making them in 2 weeks.
MTRob
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

Roger, Bill and SoCal, thanks for this advice. I will follow it completely. Rob, I got my wiring all routed and tidy, so should be good for now. It is not a concours resto, just a refurbish, omg I have already spent to much! Next time will start with a better bike!
Calgary, Canada