Wombat wheel interchange?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Roddy boy

Wombat wheel interchange?

Post by Roddy boy »

I am refurbishing a 94 Wombat, not trying to be a show winner, but a hope it will be a decent looking dual purpose bike for the women in our big family. The current wheels are badly pitted from being underwater for some time, and won't clean up completely. They definitely detract from the bike. I have located a model 03 Wombat, 1977 vintage, that has very nice rims. The rest of the bike is tired, and many parts are missing. So, question to the forum is whether the 03 front and rear wheel assemblies will fit the model 94. Clearly, the front hubs are different looking, but if the axle will fit the fork brackets, it should work. What do you guys think? Here is a shot of the 03
image.jpeg
Calgary, Canada
dcooke007

Re: Wombat wheel interchange?

Post by dcooke007 »

Roddy,
You have a perfect opportunity for a front suspension up grade with the 03. Replace the entire front end on the 94 with the 03. Triple trees and all.

I checked the parts list and some rear wheel components are the same. The sprocket carrier is different but you should be able to use the 94 one. Take both apart and compare. I think you can use the 03 rear wheel with the 94 carrier.

Danny Cooke
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

That's a good idea. Would my nice stainless fender mount on the 03 Forks?
Calgary, Canada
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Would you like to sell me that 03 motor? I have an 03 chassis with a 94/95 motor in it. I'd love to acquire an 03 motor to make the bike more original! Let me know! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I have the 03 front end on this Combat Wombat and all I did to fit the chrome fender was drill holes in the fender plate to fit the holes in the 03 triple tree.
CW After_1.jpg
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

Bill, I see now that I have the 03 at home, the steering limiters are different. Did you need to do anything to the 03 lower triple clamp to get the correct amount of turning angle? Your bike looks great!.
no chance for my 03 to be a resto candidate, best fate will be a donor cycle. .
So, reading other threads on adding voltage regulators to the model 94, would the vr from the 03 work?
Calgary, Canada
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Roddy boy,
Yep forgot to mention the steering stop. You could copy the 03 pattern and I think I have seen some 94 stops welded up..but it was not pretty.

The 03 voltage regulator could be used, study the wiring diagrams and wire accordingly.

Danny Cooke
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

Thanks to all who helped on this topic. The 03 donor has great chrome wheels, the correct handlebars I want, and one clutch perch that I need. I am going to push ahead with the fork exchange, my buddy has a TIG welder, so we can transfer the steering stop from one bike to another, and touch up the paint hopefully! I will pull the magneto case soon, and see if I can find neutral and release the frozen chain. Then should be able to determine whether the engine is stuck or seized.
Does anyone care to suggest ideal fork oil weight for this setup?
Calgary, Canada
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

20 wt fork oil, 6 ounce / 177.5cc per fork.

Danny Cooke
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I had the Combat Wombat frame stripped down to powder coat, so I welded an identical (to the 03) steering limiter on the front of the frame before the powder coating.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.