Kill Switch

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Kill Switch

Post by Bill2001 »

While I'm sorting out the seizure prob with the W'Bat 94 I'm going to install a Kill Switch. Of course SH has a slick switch based on a locking pushbutton, but I'm thinking there might be issues telling if it was On or Off.

One alternative would be to use a handlebar mounted Rocker switch. I use a quality rocker from Eastern Beaver and it would provide a visual and tactile On-Off sense.

What switches do we like?

--Bill
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Re: Kill Switch

Post by RichardMott »

Bill,

I have this switch on my trials bike. You can tell if it is off or on. It has a difference in height in the 2 positions.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good, then I'll consider it. One plus in this world of few plusses is that it looks Hodaka-ish.

--Bill
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
---

Post by --- »

The one I have I could not tell if it was on or off (same source) and it didn't reliable turn on or off, which is a problem both ways. I now use a simple red push button that is no more than a temporary ground switch. If there is a down side it is that you have to hold it down until the engine is off, you can't just stab the button as you pass over the handlebars.
GMc
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

After having a problem starting one of Paul's bikes at Hodaka Days some years ago, I was introduced to the, "Oh. Push the kill switch again, then it will be ready to go." concept. When we talked about the "Push OFF, Push ON" function of the switch (not my favorite) - Paul described that the switch he carries is virtually an exact copy of the OEM kill switch for the Hodies, except for not being a momentary action switch. So if you like the original look - you've got it. I guess I'm old and set in my ways . . . but I much prefer a momentary action kill switch.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
---

Post by --- »

If someone has to have a positive shut off, they do make deadman devices for MX bikes. I could simply never get the push on/push off switch to actually do that. I had to push the switch anywhere from one to four times to get it to switch from whatever it was to the other pole. This is extremely frustrating when you kick a dozen time only to find the switch goofed up again. I took it apart, cleaned everything, verified it wasn't bent or broken, and reassembled it. Made no difference. It came off.

My current switch is a momentary off button that replaces the back half of the clutch lever mount. Out of the way, solid, works every time, and is in the right place.

The only concern I would have for a rocker switch is that it could get bumped at the wrong moment, or swiped by a tree branch or whatever.
GMc
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The "latching" action of that pushbutton switch is a concern. In a critical situation where the engine needs to be killed under duress one does not need to stab at a switch or hold a button down.

I've been thinking (always dangerous) and I'm thinking of some sort of "brush guard" on the rocker. I've used this same switch for the Auxiliary lights on my other bike for 11-12 years w/o probs.

I'll do pix and a report when I'm done.

--Bill
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill