Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dale

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by Dale »

Max,
I have looked for a good picture of my mini chain guard and could only find a couple of it in action and nothing close up. Being aluminum, it was really beat up so I retired it to the garbage can when I took it off. Here are a couple of pictures of my bike on a great day of riding...

DSC02155b.jpg
DSC02155c.jpg
Note the amount of mud and grass at the mini chain guard!
Note the amount of mud and grass at the mini chain guard!
Just because... Here is Tommy Croft posing with my ride on Bad Rock 2014.
Just because... Here is Tommy Croft posing with my ride on Bad Rock 2014.
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Dale, it does look like you had a good time! :)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Gang, We're back to the graphics and it's about ready to go to the vinyl cutter. Notice I can now shift on both sides. 8-)

Max
Attachments
Now I can shift on both sides.
Now I can shift on both sides.
Purposed graphics photoshoped on by my personal designer.
Purposed graphics photoshoped on by my personal designer.
Last edited by hodakamax on Tue May 10, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I like the right side chain drive Max!!! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Goes twice as fast!
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Looks really good except for the front fender. Looks wrong on the bike but just my opinion.
Terry
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

It just looks too large for the front wheel & front forks. Maybe trimming it back 6-8" and adding a small mudflap would make it look more proportionate? Max???

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I think the car hood distorts the view. I think it would have to out by its self to visualize. Kinda matches the rear finder and looks a little modern and mean. --------------Clarence
---

Post by --- »

Looks like a new PP MX fender. I looked at them but consider them way too long for a 21" front tire. It may look similar to newer designs but I can't think of one offhand. Just looks like a full sized fender on a mini bike. I prefer the looks of the Super Combat style although they are a bit short on coverage. My original PP Baja fender is just right. Longer and wider than the SC but same radius.
GMc
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well I have to admit it's slightly large probably because the project has a 19'' front wheel and a 21'' fender. I walk by It several times a day and it's starting to grow on me in that it's starting to look like some voracious insect. Think Mantis or giant weevil. Jury's out on this one. Easy to change, just what I had in stock!

Max
Attachments
MXer does have better lines but the insect look is starting to grow on me.
MXer does have better lines but the insect look is starting to grow on me.
---

Post by --- »

My Preston Petty Baja is 25" from tip to tip, 4 1/2 wide, and has a 6" rise. The closest I have seen lately is the Preston Petty Mini Mudder, which apparently is out of production.

The new MX fenders are 30" tip to tip, 6" wide in the front, 4 3/4" wide in the back, and have a 9 1/4" rise. They do cover more area than the older style, but the radius of the fender is noticeably longer than older styles. Most of the extra length in the fender is biased to the front, so they do tend to project forward.

The I.B. Mudder is a bit longer at 31 1/2", uniform in width at 4 3/4", and has a rise of 8".

Perhaps some of the visual effect is attributable to the 19" front tire. There is a Wombat in the background with an orange fender which appears to balance well against the tire. Is the orange fender a different style and size? If it is the same style fender as your new white one but on a 21" front end, then I would agree that the fender blends better on the larger tire.
GMc
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Greg, the foreground is a UFO and the back one is an original Preston Petty and the wheel is a 21''. Measuring diagonal tip to tip they are both 30 inches.

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Maybe something for a smaller sized bike like the 85-100 series? I was looking for sonething from UFO on Amazon, where I got my green one for the RT..... ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Hey Max,

In reference to those shocks you got, I read a post about them. The guy says that sometimes they come with the wrong nitrogen pressure in them and sometimes they aren't bleed right from the factory. In the post he explains some of the things you can do to fix them (only if the aren't working properly). He will also rebuild them if you need it. The site is : http://chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks ... d-service/
Hopefully your shocks are fine and won't need anything, but just in case you can check there.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ah thanks DR, I just checked it out and looks to be all good info. :)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I see the project has been moved to page 2 on the Forum which means it's time for some kind of report. Recent discussions about chain guards got me started on prototyping an idea that's better than nothing. Since the chain is almost touching the tire I had to forego a back side on the guard which will only be partly effective for mud and at least it adds a safety factor for the front part of the chain. Now the problem is designing the brackets to bolt it to the swing arm with the two available bolts. I'll have to think on that for a while but I'm somewhat enthused in that this might actually work.

A partial report! (on a partial guard.) :)

Max
Attachments
Prototype partial guard.
Prototype partial guard.
Last years fun with no guard (or boots--dumb.)
Last years fun with no guard (or boots--dumb.)
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Hey Max, stylish young women pay extra to have jeans that have that appearance...
Bob
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I'm liking the minimal look of that guard! Are you going to add a mounting tab to the swing arm for it? I like the holes drilled in it. I think the opposite end needs a set too! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max the guard looks cool. I don't know but it may be able to come a little further forward. If the chain brakes I think the whip effect is what wipes the end and damages the case?? I to like the holes and simplicity. -------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Gang, thanks for the input. (Even yours Bob.) :lol: Part of the problem with this minimal guard is all of the close tolerances. There's no room for fasteners to protrude inside the guard. I'll probably use (or try) countersunk fasteners coming from inside bolting to a plate of sorts for stiffness. Max is not very visual when it comes to design so I have to do mock-ups to figure things out. At least I've started on it.

Clarence, I had the guard closer to the case but as the swing arm pivots the front comes down on the chain. There will have to be a compromise somewhere. And Victor, there will be more holes in it once I figure out the mounting and where the mud might squirt in or out.

Anyway, kinda fun trying new things and solving problems. I'm also open to suggestions. ;)

Maxie

PS--I finally did get all the graphics on yesterday. The vinyl guys did a good job. Also, the seat Guy showed up and took some measurements to mock-up the saddle. I told him to be creative.
Attachments
Real graphics finally.
Real graphics finally.
A little accent for the fenders.
A little accent for the fenders.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I do like your number and how the 3 & 2 go together. I always like"d the 2 & 7 and that was mine. To really appreciate your project, one should go back and look at post # 1. What a transformation ! The graphics are great--------------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Clarence, I've been #32 for so long I even have it on my house so people know where #32 lives. Only my old friends get it! :lol:

Maxie
Attachments
Where #32 lives.
Where #32 lives.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Wow! Most of us would have had to employ a professional graphics designer. Amazing that you could work up such cool designs at home...(maybe not quite alone?)
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Looks as if the chain guard is going to work. Even though the back side is open it looks as if the guard is at least going to wipe most of the mud off rather than the chain. Maybe a few more changes but I think I'm almost there. I can see where to improve a few details but that's all the materials I had to work with over the week-end. Suggestions? ;)

Max

PS--And it should keep your cuff from being nibbled on.
Attachments
Abreviated chain guard for fat tires.
Abreviated chain guard for fat tires.
Inside view.
Inside view.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Maxie,

I thought you'd come up with some nifty ideas on the chain guard . . . and you did not disappoint! Nice guard!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!