Brake question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

Brake question

Post by rtboone »

Greetings

Just curious---- Does the front brake on a 99RT, with the cam rotating counter-clockwise, work any better or worse than a 98SR brake, with the cam rotating clockwise ?

Thanks

Tom
thrownchain

Re: Brake question

Post by thrownchain »

Not sure it would make a difference either way.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I know that Captain Eddie did a three series report on this and answers the question and much more on the workings of the front brake and how to also improve it. You can find this info in the back issues of the Resonator Volume 1-12, 1-13 and 2-1
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

For some reason, the PO of the Road Toad had an Ace rear brake hub on the RT. I have the RT rear hub as well, but did not have any of the additional parts for it, except the brake lever spline. So I figured I would just pull them from the Ace hub. But as it turns out, the brake activation levers are differing sizes on each with the Ace having the smaller diameter spline. I also needed the rubber inspection covers front and rear as I could only find one. I'm sure I had a set but because I was searching for them, one had to go AWOL!

Should have this all together this week. Turns out the RT uses the same spring as those which hold the exhaust on, as the return spring for the rear brake. And I was able to round up all 3!

Now I need tire spoons, since my son in law injured his knee and isn't working working right now. He usually does all my tire changes for me. From what resources do folks here get tire spoons? Does Paul sell them or is this an outside acquisition? ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

socalhodaka wrote:I know that Captain Eddie did a three series report on this and answers the question and much more on the workings of the front brake and how to also improve it. You can find this info in the back issues of the Resonator Volume 1-12, 1-13 and 2-1
The front braking on my 94 Wombat was pretty well meaningless with the stock brake shoes. But, after a change to the EBC linings, matched with a new cable (Motion Pro) I'm very satisfied with the stopping power; I can even bring it to the point of lockup on hard packed dirt now.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Brake spoons? There is no specialized Hodaka spoon, so aftermarket is good. I like the Motion Pro spoons, about 16" long, with a funny double recurve tip on one end. CycleGear is a local franchise supply shop, away from my local ma-and-pa shops and my specialized parts mail order shops. I also have a couple of short 4" lever as "place-holders".

And get a gallon bottle of Ru-Glide (a rubber lubricant, from NAPA) for lubing the tire beads, much much better than dishwashing detergent&water. The big spoons and proper lube make tire changing a breeze.

--Bill
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Great! Good to know. I planned on getting some kind of tire lube. Good to know where it's a available! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

I just use windex
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

In response to the original question, according to the physics of force and how they are supposed to work, the brake arm set up as on a 99RT is supposed to work better than the one of the 98SR. It has to do with which edge of the brake pad is forced into the brake drum, etc. As someone else pointed out Capt. Eddie did a three part story on it in the Resonator, which is available to anyone who is a member of the Hodaka Club.
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I read Ed's articles and learned some interesting facts about drum brakes that I didn't know, and got an answer my original question.

1 - The amount of pressure applied to the drum is increased by having the inside edge of the cam activate the leading shoe. The brake lever needs to be pointed forward for this to happen.

2 - More pressure is gained by having the contact area closer to the pivot. Ed mentions the " Mike Lake Miracle Shim" that you can easily make from an aluminum beverage can, and install on the fixed pivot. This assists in getting the shoe closer to the drum in that area.

My thanks to Ed for the informative articles. It's a good read for anyone interested.

Tom