Hodaka flat tracker

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: Hodaka flat tracker

Post by hodakamax »

Cool Kelly! Here's one I really like from some old publication. It's torn and faded but it does show how to do it!--- It's on my bulletin board by my desk to inspire me.

Max
Attachments
Speedway! Not a Hodaka but an awesome Jawa.
Speedway! Not a Hodaka but an awesome Jawa.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A bit about Speedway. In the late 60s a bunch of us Flat-track enthusiasts drove to Houston Texas from Kansas to see a AMA National Short-track in the Houston Astrodome. Two world champion Speedway racers, Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger arrived from overseas to challenge the AMA pros at short-tracking in America. They had built Speedway bikes to AMA specs and were allowed to race as experts. They were powered by radical two stroke twins that made big noise and went sideways everywhere. In practice they circulated the track like the picture posted above. We were astounded to say the least, I was hooked. Briggs won his heat but in the end they were no match for the single purpose American short-tracker.

In the speedway environment the special purpose 500cc singles on alcohol (no transmission-one speed) are incredible to watch. Usually 1/8 mile, 4 bikes, 4 laps wide open, sideways, what could be better. I was always a speedway wannabe and even set up a Hodaka 100 with a 21'' front and crazy pegs thinking this might be competitive in short-track. We grudgingly accepted that 100s didn't have enough power to keep the tire spinning around the entire track. It was a failed experiment but the bike was a blast to ride on a gravel parking lot! (Sideways of course.)

Anyway, just another story from Hodaka racing past. :roll:

Max
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Max I too was at the Houston short track. Barry had engine trouble or I think he would have been a threat. He also rode at the Daytona short track and I was at that race too. He again had bike trouble but he was fast. It grooved up but Barry could ride up high and never shut off and was a threat. The motor he was using was a well worn 250 Yamaha twin road race motor and still had a points ignition. He could not keep it running on both cylinders. The sound it made was ear splitting and awesome. There is a you tube video some were on that Daytona race.
Terry
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow, cool Terry, What an experience that was. I had never seen a speedway bike and was mesmerized (I guess is the word) by Barry flying around the track sideways making incredible two-stroke noises. His bike seemed to need a lot of room (being incredibly sideways all the time) and the Americans were in there so tight that he couldn't seem to get it to work. Anyway, Max was impressed! It's cool that you were there too!

Max
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

I don't know if anyone has said this but the shift pattern on the 5 speed in a ace 90 motor and shift case was 1 up and the rest down.
Jack K.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Jack, the up for low was alright by me on the Ace 90s. My first motorcycle was a 350 Jawa which had the same deal. I was already programed except I also had a BSA along with the Hodaka which shifted on the other side. More than once shifting/braking mistakes were made while racing the two bikes on the same day. :shock: Yikes!

Max

PS--The racing close ratio 5-speed transmission that replaced the WIDE-ratio 4-speed was a great modification with our pipey engines of the day! :)