-

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

-

Post by Zyx »

-
Last edited by Zyx on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
hodakamax

Re: Technical Stickies

Post by hodakamax »

How many days do I have to read this first? :?

Just pulling your chain again AZ. :lol:

And seriously we do have a search engine and Archives on the index page.
Zyx

-

Post by Zyx »

-
Last edited by Zyx on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I am with you on this one! On our VL1500 forum on Delphi, we have a FAQ section which has topics which come up frequently from either new members searching out answers which have been given numerous times, or existing members experiencimg the problem for the first time and not being able to readily search the answer.

Add to that, many people do not have the expanded membership or the tech savvy to search back for older posts. So we have both an FAQ section which is read only and, on the Home page we have a Helpfiles link which has the names of How To files in PDF format wherein folks have documented a solution to a problem, sometimes with support photos. We can copy the link because exiting members have reviewed them and we can paste the link to the how to or FAQ in the thread for the newer members or inqiries to find easily. At times more than one forum member will reference the Helpfiles applcable and post links to them.

This way we can spend more time on less asked questions, and people learn where else to look for these types of documentation. And in many instances the help files are hosted on an older member's shared server so they don't get lost.

I think you're on to something here. In the beginning I posted asking if there were similar resources I could be referred to so as not to have to ask questions which may have been repeatedly asked. And, on instances where we do come across an issue where a new fix, quirk or even an NHTSA safety recall has occured, someone, usually the first to find the resolution does a write up, which photos if necessary, to document the procedure.

It's certainly something to consider. I know there is the trend of thought that stored links cut down on discussion. Bit think of the other topics of discussion Nich could occur if folks like Ed, Danny, AZ, Paul and others were not having to answer commonly asked questions which could just be pointed to by pasting a link to a write up on the subject. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I just kike to see new members join become knowledgeable and respond with guidance to others. If information shared is not correct others can guide it in the proper direction. I think Paul should control the stickies or who can use them, could be that I am not understanding, I do not want to see random posts showing up on the top of the list. Are we saying we could make folders filled with super intelligent information and then shut the forum down? Professional data could be in a folder. I like the forum Kind Considerate and informal encourage everyone to share thoughts. Remember we are here today and gone tomorrow. On a positive note my very first motocross I ever seen was billed as a international event, held in Spokane Washington I entered on my hodaka 90 Harry beat my ass.T
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Who's going to choose what we read? First and foremost the Forum is a social, fun form of communication between people with a common denominator namely Hodaka fans. Technical issues are only a small part of the Forum to me (and probably all of the now friends I have met on this site.) I do like to share and hear stories from the glory days of Hodaka. I do like to help someone with a problem and I ask questions also. If you haven't figured it out a lot of my life is based on humor and friendships. I do like to see progress stories produced by people like Danny Cooke, BrianZ and others. I try to produce progress reports on my projects not only to entertain my friends but show how much work can go into a restoration. When others on the Forum post their finished projects I can appreciate how much effort went into their project.

The past is gone and many of our members were not even born when Hodaka was at its peak. Being a Hodaka dealer and a serious promoter and racer of the day I feel I should share my experiences from the past along with people like Ed, Clarence, Bill Chapman and others of the day.

If all we have is a library of information to refer someone to, what's the purpose of a Forum?

My opinions and ramblings for the day.

Your Friend ;)

Max
viclioce

Re: -

Post by viclioce »

Max. I disagree, for what it's worth. Having experience on at least 4 motorcycle forums I can tell you having common problem information in a common place, which is easy to find, doesn't limit communication, it makes more opportunity for social communication.

Also think about what happens if people can get a short post on tuning, timing, cleaning pipes, how many bearings are in the steering head, how many clutch plates are in my Model X Hodaka, and then can go on to fix the bike post pics and videos on riding the finished product, and maybe just talk about the more difficult issues of a fix.

People get good links to stored posts or files of good information and then post "I just don't understand the X of issue Y." And experienced members can post the answers to more difficult or specific repairs, finds or whatever the case may be. Just a few thoughts here.

We have a write up on the gas tank recall of the 1998-2005 VL1500s. All the info in one place with all the correct procedures to get it addressed. Rather than having new members come on and post a question about "my fuel tank leaks, how do I get it fixed?" We can copy the link which explains the entire recall process, who to contact and what to expect.

I had the recall work done on my bike because of a single post pointing me to the info and because someone else posted about their tank leaking and I read the post. The included link made it easy to figure out what to do, with whom I had to represent the issue to, and got it done without having to ask someone how to go about it. It left more time for social reading and commenting on that forum. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Victor, I'm not against any of this but these could be put in our unused archives. The system is working and nobody on the Forum is going to not help someone in need. The ONLY thing that was rubbing me the wrong way was putting things on top. I don't need anyone to decide what I read first. To me, as I said in the post before you was the Forum is not just a technical storage area but a true social medium for like thinking people. Ask me a question, PM me, E-mail me through the Hodaka Club, I'll help if I can. And again we have a search feature to start looking up answers to our problems. I like the Forum for social interaction, If I have a question I personally like to talk to real people. (Who actually can refer me to stored info if needed.) I guess I'm against the world controlled by Apps rather than common sense and human interaction. Anyway, that's how I feel. ;)

Max
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Victor some of us are from the old school. Some from the younger generation learn so quickly and at the same time virtually remember almost everything. Now if you mix that with the gift of conveying thoughts and reach out and help a new beginner with due respect. Can you see how rewarding that is for all the rest of us? PABATCO was always a close family it just was. A Hodaka distributor once told Chuck and Harry "I don't know what you guys do or how you do it, but I haven't seen a product (the Hodaka) inspire such loyalty and enthusiasm among its own" When I raced my first priority was for hodaka to win.
Clarence
RichardMott

Re: -FAQ

Post by RichardMott »

Although there is a "search box on this forum, I like the dynamics of fresh postings to old problems. The search box doesn't always work the way it was intended, especially if the words are too common. This can frustrate the average user.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. No hurt taken or intended. Also Richard's point is very valid. The search features of most forums in general don't work well, or are intentionally limited for the purpose of making money, (as in the case of Delphi).

But we also need to realize there is more than "one kind of member" out there. Some folks join to the social aspects of virtually meeting and talking with other members with a common interest, while others have no interest in joining a "Social Forum" and just want info on an issue they have, get it and go their merry way.

I joined for both. I had and continue us to have a great history with the LC1500/C90 forum on Delphi and will never leave it. The forum and my personal initiative helped turn my 2003 VL1500 from an off the shelf cruiser to a full bagger with custom paint, lots of after market add ons and quite a few of hose which were not designed to fit the bike.

I also have been there for 10 years, learned extensively about the mechanics and shortcomings of the bike and how to fix them. This is WHY I came to this forum, when I first acquired my Hodaka. I never owned one before, but had experience with other 1970s 2 strokes and wanted to learn and be helped AND again gain a knowledge base. This forum seems to have one primary social & riding function, being Hodaka Days. Our Delphi forum goes well beyond that in the social aspects. We have what we affectionately refer to as "Gatherin's". All over the country. Some are solid annual events and some are occasional and a few have been one time events. But we also don't have a "home base" like Athena either to gather around. I also am sure being road bikes makes a it difference. Not too many people are going to consider traveling to cross country events in differing parts of the country on a small bore 2 stroke motorcycle because it's not practical for most.

I think limiting a forums resources to what is transmitted via postings is merely an oversight. Especially when you have common issues which folks may just want to look up or need access in a rapid fashion rather than waiting for a post reply. And having FAQ or Helpfiles location also allows for the development and storage of How To write ups which can include photographs in a chronological order, step by step instructions for recalls (not applicable here) and the ability to even pass the links for info on other social media if desired or needed.

These are my points. But that's all they are, discussion points. I'm just passing on what I've experienced as being very good about some forums without passing on the negatives I've experienced on other forums. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90