Wombat Spark Problems

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TDC

Wombat Spark Problems

Post by TDC »

Have a Wombat 125 and i replaced the stator with the 3 coils on it also replaced the spark plug coil. Now i cant seem to get a spark out of the plug, but when i hold the plug off of the cylinder and kick it the spark will jump from the cylinder to the outside metal portion of the plug, but when i hold the plug tight to the side of the cylinder i cant get a spark across the electrode ?????
taber hodaka

Re: Wombat Spark Problems

Post by taber hodaka »

sounds like a fouled plug or a grounded one.
Clarence
TDC

Post by TDC »

I used a brand new spark plug with the same results.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The fact that you get spark to jump from the plug body to the cylinder illustrates that the ignition system IS producing sparking voltage AND it also indicates that the voltage IS getting from the center electrode to the spark plug body (or it couldn't "jump" from the body to the cylinder).

So it appears that the new plug you tried also has a problem - rare, but not unheard of.

Get another new plug and try it.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
TDC

Post by TDC »

I was wondering if the spark plug coil is wired in reversed. Does the coil have the polarity reversed ?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Try looking with the lights off, room dark. If spark jumps off the end of the coil wire the coil is working is it consistent?
Clarence
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

TDC wrote:I was wondering if the spark plug coil is wired in reversed. Does the coil have the polarity reversed ?
Doubt it. Far as I know the voltage produced at the stator is AC. Not to mention that there are positive ground vehicles in the world. Negative ground DC systems are a convention not a requirement. Neither AC nor DC are ground sensitive within a closed system. You simply have to be consistent when wiring the system. Whether the voltage produced by an inductive coil when the magnetic field breaks down is technically DC or AC, I don't know but I think it does flutter or pulse.

Anyway, your plug is grounded. Find another known to work, and try that. Doesn't need to fit the cylinder to do a spark test.
TDC

Post by TDC »

Put in a new spark plug and it fired right up, I wouldn't believe it if i dednt see it with my own eyes. Thanks everyone for the help