Hodaka History Mystery. The Harry Taylor Road Racer

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Jack.Broomall

Hodaka History Mystery. The Harry Taylor Road Racer

Post by Jack.Broomall »

As some of you may know I've undertaken a project to create an exact replica of the Ace that Harry Taylor rode to victory in the 100cc Sportsman Race at Daytona in March of 1968.

I have access to a number of photos but without a real bike to scale from and (sadly) no Harry Taylor to consult with, some questions are bound to arise. As they already are. Here's a mystery that I'm currently looking for some help with. If you look at the composite pic below you will clearly see that the top triple clamp on the race bike is not the Hodaka Ace OEM piece.
Just compare the square center hole, the handlebar mounting clamp holes, the shape at the upper fork mountings, etc and you will get the picture. To expand the scope of the mystery even further, have a look at this pic. While the fork lowers appear to be Hodaka OEM, the seal holders (chrome pieces at top of fork tube outer/bott om of spring) are unlike any Hodaka OEM piece.
Is it possible that the entire front end/triple tree/fork assembly was grafted on to this bike from some other (not necessarily Hodaka) application?

This is the question I'm currently looking for some help with. Any thoughts, insights, or even more pics of Harry's bike would be greatly appreciated.

Discuss.

Jack Broomall
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Hodaka History Mystery. The Harry Taylor Road Racer

Post by Bullfrog »

The first thing I'd look for is a match with Yamaguchi parts.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

LOOK AT THAT FRONT RIM AND BRAKE BAKING PLATE?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

The front rim appears to be an aftermarket aluminum roadrace rim. The hub looks standard, with a fin attached to direct cooling air into the brake area.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

The rims look like the first alloy rims until they made the side rim higher for added strength, lite and strong.
MTRob
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

I looked at my Yamaguchi 55 cc YPB and that is the exact same top triple clamp as it has.
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

@ Jay Lael
Thanks for the lead! I was hopeful that somebody here could provide some insight.Exactly the kind of help I've come to expect from the Hodie community. Now all I have to do is find a Yamaguchi to part out! ;)
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

What does a yamaguchi 50 cc YPD look like ?? -----------------Clarence
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Clarence: This is it. Whitey Hartman's "Lil' Ballerina" Yamaguchi trials special. He has passed it down to Heidi and me. He is still kicking btw, and planning on his 85th birthday this January 10th.
Attachments
The lil' ballerina
The lil' ballerina
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Here it is before it got the trials treatment.
Attachments
Whitey Hartman and his Yamaguchi 55cc motorcycle
Whitey Hartman and his Yamaguchi 55cc motorcycle
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Amazing. After Jay posted his in initial response I actually found those same two pics online!

Jay, If you have a free moment could you please do me a great favor and measure a couple of things on your Yamaguchi. I'd like to know the diameter of the fork tubes and also the lateral spacing between the fork tubes. I can think of a couple of potential reasons that Harry would have used the Yamaguchi front end hardware. First, that upper triple clamp is flatter than the Hodaka Ace piece - ride height revision for the road racer? Or perhaps the span is wider, yielding possibly increased stiffness of the entire front fork assembly? If you had any detail pics of the upper and/or lower triple clamps and fork tube details that would be great and a big help in attempting to re-create an important part of Hodaka history. Thanks in advance,
Jack
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

Jack: I will take a few photos of the front end. I think it would help to pull up the fork boots and get a pic of what is under them too. Measurements forthcoming. Give me a few days on this as we are quite busy here. Might be Saturday before I can get to it, but we'll see.
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Jay, No problem with the timing. This is a long term project. I do, however, greatly appreciate your help with this and pics of the Yamaguchi parts would be VERY useful! Best,
Jack
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

So here goes with the photos. Good luck Jack.
Attachments
cool square hole
cool square hole
Flat axle brackets on both sides
Flat axle brackets on both sides
fork spring and seal retainer
fork spring and seal retainer
Six inches center to center.
Six inches center to center.
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Jay,
Thanks so much. This helps a great deal. It does, however raise a couple of additional questions. The Hodaka Ace (both 90 and 100 as best as I can tell) had the forks on about a 148 mm spacing center to center- 5.82 inches and that's just a bit shorter than what you measured for the Yamaguchi. Makes me wonder if the "Harry" bike had an entire Yamaguchi triple tree (upper & lower both). Also, one last question Jay. What is the fork tube diameter on your bike. 27 mm like every early Hodaka? Or something smaller like 24? From your pics it is clear that the fork tube lowers on your bike are something different from the Hodaka parts but the seal holders look like what I see on Harry's bike. Maybe that stuff was interchangeable which is one reason why I as about the fork tube dia. Anyway this all helps flesh out the story and I.m grateful. Now to try and find the Yamaguchi part. Anyone got any leads on that sort of stuff???? Yamaguchi fans weigh in here!!!!
BritSpeed

Post by BritSpeed »

Does it look like this??
Attachments
IMG_1238.JPG
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

That is not Harry's road racer.
Jack K
2Brothersvmxracing

Post by 2Brothersvmxracing »

Does anyone on the forum know who bought the Number 68 John Steen Road Racer from the Mecham Auction in Las Vegas? I believe we have a rolling frame that was built out of the same shop.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The upper plate with the square hole is off a ace 90 prototype. I call it the ace 90 prototype because many of the parts did not fit the production Mark 11 hodaka nor were they ever listed in any parts or shop model the frame and many things were different. Looking at my early ace 90 frame 87 about I have the same parts you are showing with the square hole. I am not sure when the change was made I think about number 233. I will try and post a picture later as I must find it. The clamp that held the handlebars on hodaka was engraved in rather than raised.
Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

DSCN1015.JPG
I will try and post this picture Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

wrong picture
DSCN1005.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

It did work . Also the frame had a loop welded on the front of the frame for a wire loom. Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ah Clarence, I checked my old 90 short-tracker frame and it did have that loop that you're talking about. I had forgotten about that. :roll:

Max
scooterbobby

Post by scooterbobby »

we have the number 68 bike here in our museum...if anyone has more info on it please let me know.Trying to find any backstory on this bike.. It's a Aermacchi chassis with a Ace 100 motor.
thanks!
2Brothersvmxracing

Post by 2Brothersvmxracing »

Hi scooterbobby,
I have the back-up bike and a additional frame to the Number 68 John Steen Road Racer. I would like to talk with you. Thanks, Terry. Give me a call @ 1-314-413-4311.