Super Rat rescue

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rlkarren

Super Rat rescue

Post by rlkarren »

Rescued a Super Rat from the crusher today... amidst a mountain of motorcycles destined for the crusher sat this sad looking model 93 Super Rat. A very early super rat; frame #B-37941.

Unfortunately the frame was broken and bent, but I was able to salvage the motor, sans L/R side covers, an aluminum skid plate, rear wheel and swing arm, and a few other small parts that could prove useful. I didn't have all the tools I needed so I'm headed back up in the morning to retrieve what's left of the front end.

Feels good to rescue another Hodaka from certain death...

Roger

(photo below is two stitched together to show the whole bike)
Super Rat.JPG
michael_perrett

Re: Super Rat rescue

Post by michael_perrett »

Looks like it has the "butter" forks.
Mike Perrett
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Too bad we don't live closer together. I have two good Super Rat frames sitting in my basement, and one is B47320, for the 93A Rat.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

A bit of professional welding might resurrect the frame as well. Looks like most of it is still there. Unless of course you already have a good frame to use. Not to mention that there is a coil attached to the frame, which is still worth plenty all by itself. I would take the whole thing home and strip it down before abandoning any of it to the junk yard.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

If you can't save the frame Roger, check with us, as Brian said, frames are plentiful!
Bob
thathodakaguy

Post by thathodakaguy »

Yes the hard parts to find are the coil, tank, early air cleaner and the chain guard. I've been looking for those for a long time.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Update:

Between the HD14 Swap meet, online Auctions, and Doug, (flyingdg), I've got almost all the missing parts assembled. Major parts still needed are: chain guard, rear fender, and front wheel. Restoration and assembly will begin after the first snowfall...

I'm bringing this thread back up because I'm hoping someone might have a chain guard they would be willing to help me with measurements so I can fabricate one. I have a damaged Ace100 chain guard I want to trim down and I need someone with a (93) Super Rat chain guard for reference. If you are willing to help me with measurements, please contact me off-list. I do not need you to send me your chain guard but if you're willing I'll tell you what I need. It will be very easy to do, but it will need to be off the bike to get it correct.

Thank you,

Roger
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Just putting this out there. I have a super rat chain guard in good condition I would trade. The one thing I need is an original super rat kill switch.

Gary
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Roger

I can take any measurements you need. Let me know.

Gary
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Roger

I sent you pm. Hopefully it went through. Anyway I will get the chain guard info to you. I will get it out this weekend

Gary
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I thought I would post an updated photo of the Model 93 Super Rat rescue:
IMG_3925.JPG
Hoping to have it ready to ride before HD15. This one has proven to be more intensive than my Ace 90 that I resurrected. (Some of you may remember the Ace 90 that I found buried in Dad's backyard). I have to mention though, I'm quite pleased with the paint color match. The ladies at the local automotive paint store are quite good at it.

The only parts that I'm missing now are the typical kill switch and chain guard. Luckily they are not critical for operation, i.e., aftermarket kill switches are available, but I'm still on the lookout for some killer deals/trades...

Roger
Pep

Post by Pep »

Looking sharp Roger!!
Give me a shout sometime - I've got a Rat kill that's just been sitting on the shelf...
Laurie
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Roger always takes on the easy rebuild! He hauled this find over to show me when he found it and all I could say was "why would you build that" My hat is off to you Roger. Oh and I would like to publicly thanks you for the headlight and wiring my wombat for 12v. DG
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Almost done...

One final parts order and we're off to HD15!
93 Super Rat.png
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Roger,

Did the chain guard workout. Is it on the bike pictured?

Gary
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

here's a question....

These are obviously Super Rat chain guards. But I was wondering about the cutout shown on the left chain guard. Was it used on later or early models. I've seen 3 variations of this cutout, of which I have two in the photo. The one without the cutout came from a 93B but will be using it on my 93. Just wondering if anyone had an insight on this or is this just one of those subtle changes that were made over the production run.

btw, they are exactly the same size. The photo and the angle from which I took it makes it a optical illusion

Roger

Gary: the one on the left is yours. It turned out pretty good.
IMG_4016.JPG
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Pretty sure the cut outs are for frame clearance. The swing arm pivot is wrapped with about an eight inch plate in an open arc facing rearward. As the swing arm tracks through its range of motion, the parts of the guard that are cut out tend to approach the top and the bottom part of that structural wrap. Later models probably had more axle travel, or the guard may have been positioned slightly forward from earlier models. Whatever the reason for the change, I think it was to provide extra clearance in these areas.
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Also further forward, bigger tire.
MTRob
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

Those pictures are great. Now I know what to look for. Anybody have one to sell or trade? My 93 needs one. When I 1st got It I had visions that I would take it to HD15, but some parts are very hard to come by.
Gary G

Post by Gary G »

Postby Gary G » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Roger,

Nice catch on the chain guard difference. My 2 cents is that the 93a and 93b had the chain guard with the cut out clearence. The 93 had the "smaller" swing arm (non cushion hub) which used the chain guard without the clearance cut. If I am wrong hopefully someone could let us know. My intentions for my 93's that they are as cols to original as possible.

Gary
Gary G
fullchoke

Post by fullchoke »

If you could send me one of those chain guards in the picture, I'd be very appreciative. Not at all particular, either will do. :mrgreen:
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

bobwhitman wrote:If you can't save the frame Roger, check with us, as Brian said, frames are plentiful!
Bob
Really? I'm looking for an early 93 with a good frame tag.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK