Solved: Help with where to start to find my issue.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
oochaDog

Solved: Help with where to start to find my issue.

Post by oochaDog »

I've got a Ace 100 that I just redid the bottom end. I also inspected the clutch and the friction plates were right at 2mm and all plates seemed not to catch on the outer ring. After all put together, adding 20oz SAE 30, I start it up and I hear a "whirling" and no go. It feels like it's going into gear, but doesn't move. Is this a non-engaging clutch issue?

Other items: I have a Super Rat Clutch Assembly, good amount of slack in the clutch cable, has one clutch disc spacer but I'm not sure the thickness of it. I just put everything back together like it came out.....I think.

I'm not sure if I need to pull everything a part again and triple check everything, or can add/remove disc spacer. Or if it's not a clutch problem and something else.

Thanks for any help
Jay
Last edited by oochaDog on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oochaDog

Re: Help with where to start to find my issue.

Post by oochaDog »

I'm finding some good posts on clutches....I guess I should have searched better.
viewtopic.php?t=920
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=709&p=3134&hilit=ro ... otor#p3134
oochaDog

Re: Help with where to start to find my issue.

Post by oochaDog »

Found my issue. And to keep myself humbled...this is what I missed. I'm a dork.
20180222_105724.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Solved: Help with where to start to find my issue.

Post by Bullfrog »

;) (we've all done something like that)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Bullfrog wrote:;) (we've all done something like that)
Ed
We're all Dorks! :lol: God bless us, Everyone!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep Captain. That looks mighty familiar. Heck, I'll raise you one dropped clutch pressure piece. :)
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and I'll raise you one Matt (still in the same suit). How about a disappearing clutch pressure piece while doing a demonstration on how to change the control shaft springs without draining the transmission oil? (The giggling by the audience was pretty well controlled . . . all things considered.) :roll:
Ed
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

It was about 1969 and I was showing the racing team about 6 of them, how to trouble shoot a electrical no spark problem. Had to send them home and figure it out myself. I don't think they ever got the finished presentation. I don't mind making dumb mistakes, its when I step in the same bucket twice that worries me. I just dropped my carburetor parts container about 11 inches x 17 fill of main jets by size, needles, clips, needles and seat. Pilot jets, screws and all that little carb parts, some of the clips were so small they must have been Yamaguchi. Anyways bending down I dropped them and they went in about a two foot radius. I never swore, it was only me that had to resort everything and I can't read jet numbers with out a glass. Stay young you whipper snappers. Showing the grandson how to put the gears back in the transmission and he said grampa, you just put that gear in upside down - okey. --------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'm going to have to pass, Captain. While the end result was the same, the only witnesses to the event here were the the other Hodies deriding me and the melange of profanity which echoes throughout the Hodaka shed to this day. Clarence, I first knew I had permanently retired my whippersnapper status when I "upsized" a 260 MJ to a 230. I never thought a glass would sit next to the snap ring pliers in the critical instrumentation department.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

OK then I will up you one , I was rebuilding a jet ski engine way back and with out thinking I installed thin piston rings on wide ring pistons, so there . Not paying attention ( DUMMY )

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

OK then I will up you one , I was rebuilding a jet ski engine way back and with out thinking I installed thin piston rings on wide ring pistons, so there . Not paying attention ( DUMMY )

Rich
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Dummy again , I submitted my post twice

8o)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Well then, I'll throw my personal best into the ring - along with my pride. Changing reed petals last fall and left a small rag stuffed in the intake tract which, after putting 10 years of wear and tear on the kick crank, push starting attempts, hernias, and swearing, ended up in shreds throughout the crank case and top end. Now I use a rag approximately the size of a twin bed sheet. Ultra dummy!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Ever put a motor together, get it all buttoned up and realize you've got an extra part and no clue where it goes? Only to find out later it didn't even go in that motor?
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

yep done that. Got a better one from about 1980 when working at the shop that I spent 25 year at afterwords. I installed a camshaft in a customers chevy hot rod van and all went well until I went to bed that night retracing my steps and couldnt remember torqueing the cam sprocket bolts so I had the customer bring it back in on saturday on my own time and tore it back down just to discover that I really did torque them , what a wasted day. I guess it was so imbedded into second nature that I didnt have to think about it ,

Ultra Dummy
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

We used to intentionally put an extra engine part on the workbench during a late night rebuild just to "mess" with whoever was rebuilding their engine. Usually their eyes would glaze over when the engine was all back together and they discovered a kick roller sitting on the bench. We would always tell them before the engine was disassembled.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

your very kind

Rich
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I think we have a clue regarding where the handle of "dirty_rat" might have originated! :P
Ed
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I think he knows this was coming, with the best of intentions could have forgot to tell. --------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

OOh...that's cold (and funny)!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Cold? That's not cold. That is extraordinary over-familiarity by long distance. (And - thankfully - it apparently passed the "fun-o-meter" test. 8-) )
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

No, I agree with you Captain regarding the etymology of "Dirty Rat". I'm commiserating with the guy who spends all Saturday night getting his bike ready for race day only to find a kick roller and base gasket sitting on the bench. Sounds like something my buds would've done.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

DOH! Oh Yeah! Dirty Rat was COLD with that prank! But with a good heart for fessin' up before the tear-down started.
Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Indeed, Captain. We've likely all crossed paths with "that guy" who would at least let you get the jug off before the fessin' :). That's why the process of roosting was invented.