NOS STOCKS "GASKETS"

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bruce Young

NOS STOCKS "GASKETS"

Post by Bruce Young »

WARNING !!!!!! ; when buying NOS HODAKA gaskets that are over 40years old, be aware that most the time they are so dried out and brittle, they will break apart even when one takes extra efforts to ship with extra protection. When you buy from a buyer, please make it plain that if they are not received in good condition, "and don,t lie" about this issue to the seller, make advance arrangements with the seller that he will refund or replace broken gaskets when received by the buyer. Its happening all too often these days as new sellers come on line to sell old stashes of Hodaka Parts. Just be careful 40 years is 40years. Gaskets just don,t last. I have talked with two Hodaka experts whom have found this same thing, even in their own stocks sitting to the shelves under the best conditions, the gaskets just dry out and become brittle. Hodakapartsidaho.com
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
thrownchain

Re: NOS STOCKS "GASKETS"

Post by thrownchain »

Same could be said for original oil seals, could dry out and become non flexible, and they need to be flexible to make the seal with the shaft
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Same could be said for my knees :lol:
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Matt, I once knew a very fast Veteran, old timer Moto crosser from Canada, whom won everything he entered on his CZ back in the 70,s and 80,s whom drank lots of fish oils all the time before a race for just the same problem to lube his own joints, I don,t recommend it but he was fun to watch but after a race you could not be around him, smells, OCH!n Bruce
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Matt, I once knew a very fast Veteran, old timer Moto crosser from Canada, whom won everything he entered on his CZ back in the 70,s and 80,s whom drank lots of fish oils all the time before a race for just the same problem to lube his own joints, I don,t recommend it but he was fun to watch but after a race you could not be around him, smells, OCH!n Bruce
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

There is a way to get rid of the fish oil smell, chew some garlic at the same time. Some of the base gaskets were almost brittle when they were new. ------------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I've heard glucosamine chondroitin out performs fishoil - at least on the clutch side.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

combine that with MSM and fish oil and organic gelatin and now you have something that works

Rich
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

:shock:
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Clarence is spot on correct ! ALL of the intake gaskets were made like that waferboard and snapped when they were new ! Seals are the biggest problem. What I do is this: Slide the seals on to the crankshaft for a day or more and check them. If they re-shrink and don`t crack they SHOULD be good. Same for the counter shaft seal.Slide it over the collar and let it set. Bruce is correct! You need to be Very careful when you buy on EBAY. There`s a guy selling on EBAY right now that sells JUNK! His rings are rusty, his sprockets are bent and he doesn`t know Einstein from a Beer Stein! Feb. 17, he turned 60. Happy Birthday to me! Joe Ormonde.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Happy Birthday Joe! (Ya whipper-snapper! ;) )

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Yes happy birthday Joe! I was going to use the word whipper snapper but I didn't know how to spell it. it . I never attended all those famous universities like Ed studying sociology,engineering and the like. ---------------Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

8-) Clarence, did you keep your notes from the short interviews you did a few years ago at Hodaka Days? Or do you just have a great memory? In past weeks you have mentioned the brand of two stroke oil I was using that week end . . . and now you mention two of my four or five majors while in college. It might have been better if I had stuck with any ONE of them. On the other hand, then I might not have been in the right place at the right time with the right skills to hire on at PABATCO. Ah, the mystery of life! Enneywayeeeee, let's not let them thar young-uns forget how lucky they are to be that young!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!