calculating oil mixing ratios

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
taber hodaka

calculating oil mixing ratios

Post by taber hodaka »

Okay we know the good oils but you may not have a calibrated mixing cup. There are 128 ounces in a gallon. If you want 32:1 you would divide 128 by 32 = 4 ounces. likewise 40:1 would be 128 divided by 40 = 3.2 ounces. If you like mixing 4.5 ounces per gallon 128 divided by 4.5 = 28.4:1 . I am sure most everyone knows this but I get this question asked of me. If you are mixing 4 gallons just multiply your ounces by 4. ------------- Clarence
MTrat

Re: calculating oil mixing ratios

Post by MTrat »

I like to settle on an oil brand and mix ratio and then fine tune the jetting from there.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

absolutely. -------- Clarence
motovate

Post by motovate »

Also if you do an online search for oil mixing ratios there are a lot of charts and even some calculators - but it is a very good thing to know how to do it "Old School" like Clarence explained! LBM
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

You folks south of the border need to get with the metric system. 4 liters (4000 ml) of gas, 40:1 = 100 ml of oil.

Brian
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

We are not French, we have been buying 3.25 x 17 inch tires for a long and now whats a 100 - 70?? We have everything in Spanish and English, but not in meters and miles. We also drink our ice tea unsweetened and cold, we don't have Lucas refrigerators. How are we going to measure 100ml of oil in a baby bottle marked in ounces? How many liters in a five gallon can, where do we start./? Brian take this as dry humor only, we love our Canadian friends. How do I get the gas tank to you? Hope you make it to Hodaka Days again. ---------Clarence
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Hi Clarence. Canada switched to metric back in the 70's and it was chaos for a while. Here's an example of what can go really wrong when you calculate the fuel quantity wrong when converting to metric:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Even though the country is metric I know my weight in pounds and my height in feet. However I know distance in kilometers the temperature in deg C, and my gas in liters.

I tried calling you a couple of times but your answering machine is full. If you want to give me a call I am at 519 856-2367.

Brian