Early Super Combat question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BrianZ

Early Super Combat question

Post by BrianZ »

A year or two ago I bought a Super Combat frame number F-25814, making it an early production number. The bike was in really rough shape, but I needed a frame to replace the badly broken one on my race bike. A few things about this bike were unusual:

-The wheels are the deep flanged aluminum types used on the early Combat Wombats. I am pretty certain these were swapped at some point in the bikes history.

- The primary drive is not cushioned. I am pretty sure this was standard on the early Super Combats, and was added on later bikes when the transmissions started failing.

- The clutch uses 3 of the early Ace style friction plates and 2 of the later style friction plates. I remember reading somewhere that this was used on early Combat Wombats. Any chance this was standard on early Super Combats?

Brian
olddogs

Re: Early Super Combat question

Post by olddogs »

I believe the mud catcher rims were on the Combats with the flame thrower pipe. The next run of bikes with smooth rims used a stinger type end on the pipe.

I don't think the factory ever made the cushioned primary hub standard. Hardened gears and cushioned hubs came later as accessories.

I also never heard of them mixing clutch plates. You probably picked up something Frankensteined by previous owners. What has kept the brand going is the fact you can pick up 2 or 3 different model parts bikes and make 1 nice one out of all the pieces.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

the clutch plat mixing WAS! stock really it was . Its even in the parts diagram in the owners manual. Cushion primary gear was not.

Rich
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Did the cushion primary gear really work out? Where can you get one and the cost?? ----------Clarence
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Paul still lists the cushioned gear for $92 bucks. I have had good luck with them.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Thanks everyone. Rich, you are correct. Upon reviewing the parts diagrams I can see the model 97 uses a mix of old and new style clutch plates. For some reason I thought that the mixed plates occurred on the model 95.

It seems my 97 has a stock engine but someone installed the mud catcher model 95 rims.

Brian
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well you can rejoice in the knowledge that the mud catcher rims are a very strong design & will withstand a lot of impact. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90