Posting "For Sale" on the Club Forum

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
admin
Site Admin

Posting "For Sale" on the Club Forum

Post by admin »

I will try to address the "Bikes For Sale" issue.

We have been discouraging the listing of whole bikes for sale on this forum during the transition from Strictly Hodaka to the Hodaka Club (both cost and administration). The reason for this was simply that "Hodaka Marketplace" piece of the Strictly Hodaka Forum was not going to be transferred to the Hodaka Club.

The plan was/is for the Club to complete the transition of the forum and then roll out a whole new forum with updated software and additional features and sections, which would include a Bikes for Sale section. Since the transition has not been completed, I feel like we are still just treading water on this issue. So... I will reach out to the board for some direction and will update this post as I learn more. Both on the status of posting whole bikes for sale and for the status of the forum transition and the new forum rollout.

Please stay tuned...
Last edited by Makotosun on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: testing global announcement option
admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting "For Sale" on the Club Forum

Post by admin »

Update:
The transition to the new club forum is progressing albeit slowly. It is planned to provide sections dedicated for the Sale of Parts and the Sale of Bikes in addition to many other features. Until such time that the new forum is released, we are asking that "NO PARTS OR BIKES" be listed for sale on this forum.

We are all looking forward to the rollout of the new forum and it's new features.
James McQuown

Post by James McQuown »

New member here! Please direct me to a "For Sale" site.
I want to follow rules.
I just picked up a nice restoration project and need parts and help.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Strictly Hodaka, Hodaka-parts, and Hodakapartsidaho are good places to start.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Any progress on getting the "for sale" section up and running?
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

A year later.... is there going to be a for sale section?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thrownchain wrote:A year later.... is there going to be a for sale section?
There will not be a For Sale section in this current Forum platform. If and when the new Forum is rolled out, it is planned to have a For Sale section included.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

I've just read the June 6 response to the For Sale question.

I noticed that the response said "if" this can be acomadated there will be a For Sale section.

Since this indicates uncertainty, is it acceptable to offer parts for sale as a post or topic?

I'm not interested in going into business.

I've got some Ace parts that are pretty nice sitting in my basement. I'm not inclined to use eBay.

I'd like to have them go to Hodaka Club members or Hodaka Forum members that are preserving Hodakas.

I'm thinking other guys that participate in this forum
may have 'extras' they don't need. A chance to pass these on to guys preserving bikes could expand membership & participation.

Any thoughts on this, or am I "off the reservation"?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Al Harpster wrote:I've just read the June 6 response to the For Sale question.

I noticed that the response said "if" this can be acomadated there will be a For Sale section.

Since this indicates uncertainty, is it acceptable to offer parts for sale as a post or topic?

I'm not interested in going into business.

I've got some Ace parts that are pretty nice sitting in my basement. I'm not inclined to use eBay.

I'd like to have them go to Hodaka Club members or Hodaka Forum members that are preserving Hodakas.

I'm thinking other guys that participate in this forum
may have 'extras' they don't need. A chance to pass these on to guys preserving bikes could expand membership & participation.

Any thoughts on this, or am I "off the reservation"?
Al,
We do not want the activity of buying and selling on our current forum. For one thing, the platform that serves our forum is not secure. The sharing of personal information is highly discouraged. It is the club's hope to include a for sale section if and when our new forum is rolled out.

Until that time I would recommend using the Hodaka Fan Group on Facebook in order to offer up your parts to the Hodaka community. Another option would be to list parts on the Hodaka Classified site that is found in the Hodaka Links and Pics on the Hodaka Club web site. I believe that this second option would reach a much smaller audience however.

I hope this answers your question,
Dale
Moondog1220

Post by Moondog1220 »

I have a 125cc Wombat engine on EBay with only 421 original miles runs and shifts great but it’s not bring the money we would love to know why?
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Expectations too high? In order to sell any complete motor you need to find the person that needs that particular unit. But anyone that needs a motor most likely has an old motor that can be rebuilt. So the cost of buying a "new" motor has to be close to or less than the cost of overhauling the one they already have.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Moondog. I think I saw your motor listed, maybe on the FB Hodaka site? I thought it wasn’t a bad price for a complete Hodaka motor, but, only if you are the kind of person who doesn’t like restoring motors.

As Thrownchain said, a non- functional motor in possession can be rebuilt for reasonable $$ if you do it yourself. Plus, as the builder, you know exactly what was done.

I noticed you didn’t list if it was factory original or if it was a rebuilt motor. If it was rebuilt, failing to state by whom & their qualifications, unless someone known with familiarity, can leave questions about the quality of the rebuild.

If, on the other hand, if it’s a factory original motor, it could still require work because the seals in the motor would be 40+ or more years old.

What was your asking price and what information can you give about it’s condition and how it got there? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Az63

Post by Az63 »

Hi. Short & sweet...Yes I'm a noob & am ISO a clutch basket nut (L/H thread) for my daughter's 66 Ace 90 and also clutch cable.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hodaka-Parts.com has both. $3.95 for the nut, $35 for the cable.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Since it’s been stated that....

“ At the present time, the Club and the volunteer managers have determined that we lack the staff time and knowledge to support parts sales.”

I would like to suggest the following. On the Suzuki VL1500 forum, which I am a long time member, the following rules for selling are on that forum:

“” A quick rundown of the forum "selling" guidelines.
1. Seller must list a price. No "make me an offer" stuff please. A seller must POST PICTURES WHEN LISTING. if you don't know how ask someone to show you how. It is easy. Without pictures, you put the sale in limbo.

2. keep all transactions on the forum. Please do not ask for replies by email or private messages. Or offer to email pictures to buyers, email them to a moderator and they can help you with the pics. That way everything is documented and time stamped right here for all to see. Much less confusion that way, and perspective buyers will know where they are in line, and whether or not the item has been sold yet.

3. As it stands today the first responder has first rights. But they must be clear with their intentions. Say something like I WANT IT, Or SOLD!. Don't just ask a question. Say what your intentions are. Or someone else will. And you will find yourself out of the running.
If someone has to post an inquiry as to what size, what color, can I see a picture?..ect......AND MEETS THE CRITERIA ABOVE, that person should get first consideration after you reply with an answer. The interested party must reply back you your answer within 24 hrs with a "sold" or, if not, go ahead and make the deal with the next responder. The way we see it, if a responder shows interest in an item, then he/she needs to hang around the thread to close the deal one way or the other and not leave the seller hanging (unless prior arrangements are made to mutual satisfaction). This time line also holds true for the buyer to respond to the seller. In other words, if you know your gonna be away for a few days don't post your stuff until you get back. As a Seller be prepared to visit your thread often for at least a week to deal with potential buyers. That is the fairest system we could devise but it's up to the members to make it work. OK?

Pics are a must. There is no way around this. The seller needs to take a couple of pics of the item, or have a friend do it. Before he lists it on here for sale. Nothing works without pictures and an honest description of the item. Go to www.photobucket.com or somewhere that is free, and upload those pics (before listing the item here) and post a link to the pics. You do not have to be a Delphi plus member to post pics, or at least a link. Then you don't have to go into all that "I will email you pics" nonsense. That takes forever, and it also immediately takes the sale off the forum. Please take the time needed to get pics together for when you post. If you need help posting them, contact one of the mods and they can post them for you. Or ask a member to help. We all benefit from the for sale folder, lets do our part in helping it run smooth.
If you don't know how to use a computer to post links, ask someone here to help you. We have a hundred guys who watch the for sale folder religiously, and most will be delighted to help you get the pics on the forum. This would be a huge help.
And please, no multiple threads for the same item. Even if you didn't start the thread but suddenly you offer something for sale in another thread then stay with it in that thread until its completely assured no one there is going to buy it. If you must start a new thread, then ask a Moderator to delete the other postings before it's re-listed.
All this will do nothing but make it speedier, and fair all the way around. “”

Now this may be a little bit of a long read, but the rules are simple. Why do I bring this up? It’s because BOTH FORUMS have a lot in common.

We both have vendors who support our forums.
We both have motorcycles which are no longer made.
We both provide insight and assistance to anyone who needs help with our brand/model.

Interesting thing is, no one on the VL1500 Forum has to monitor or moderate sales unless something goes bad. I think that’s happened maybe 4 times in 20+ years.

We also find that the members themselves help enforce the rules. How? Well if someone posts an item for sale and doesn’t meet the rules, say, they post an item for sale and say “what will you give me for it?”, the members remind the seller what the rules are and most of the people fix their error.

Another thing we have is we have a Vendor’s section on the VL1500 forum. So if Terry has a sale he could post in the Vendor Section and provide links to the sale items, which benefits the vendor positively. If it’s a service, or a coupon, or clearance on a few final items, they post in the Vendor section. And our vendors don’t have an attitude of, “I keep you afloat” because the vendors don’t contribute a dime towards the forum. It’s a mutually symbiotic relationship.

I think it’s foolish to say Don’t offer parts for sale here. It doesn’t hurt our vendors. It DOES hurt our members. How many of you have bought a part that was represented by the seller to be exactly what was described and you recieved it and it wasn’t what was described?

If we allowed our members to post items for sale, and made it a paid members of the club only access, we would have a good supply of parts which would probably get bought up in a short period of time, from members who know EXACTLY what they have and to members who know what they need.

We could even have a section of parts donated to buyers for a contribution to the club. No members would have to monitor it, it would all be heres what I have and I’ll mail it to you for a $20 donation to the club, or what ever the selling member feels is a fair donation.

Surely we can come out of the dark ages on this issue. I for one, would be willing to help set it up and watch it for a while to remind people if they “miss”a requirement.

Again. This is in no way an attempt to short a vendor, or drive business away from them. Seems to me if people need a part, it may even be a part folks are having more and more trouble finding. Here’s an example:

How many of the members have 1,2, 3 or more shifter covers which are 1 down 4 up? These are becoming more $ more difficult to find. Why? Because many people don’t want to jump from a Toad or a Super Combat with a standardized shift pattern, and then get on an Ace and have to remember the shift pattern is opposite. I don’t remember if it was 1972-73-74-75 when the world decided to standardize in a 1 down 4 up pattern, but lots of manufacturers, including Hodaka, performed the retool for it.

Same thing with Hodaka CDI ignitions. Or with Harry Taylor exhaust pipes, or a number of other parts which are difficult to find and folks may have them lying around not being used.

It also provides a way for forum members to maybe beat back the price gouging which seems to be happening on sites like eBay. Just the other day I saw a guy advertising an “original Hodaka tool kit’”. Not NOS, not used once & put away, used, but complete. His Asking Price for this perceived rarity? $220 plus shipping. I recently purchased a tool kit for $25 and stuck it in one of the tool boxes. He replied to me, “If I knew where to buy tool kits for $25 to tell him & he would buy them all. I didn’t respond back to him.

Anyway, I think I’ve made several good points here. This is one of the few motorcycle forums to which I belong, which does not allow members to trade/sell parts with each other. I think it’s time we do. That’s my 2 cents & if it pisses anyone off, all I can say is, sorry you don’t agree.

Oh and it appears to be working very well on the Hodaka Facebook page and I have only seen one sale in 5 years where someone offered a frame for sale and the shipment either fell thru or got delayed. So there’s another situation to show that it doesn’t require full time volunteers to monitor the sales. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I could list 10,000 parts here but it wont happen. Victor start your own Hodaka parts for sale website and become rich and famous. We can share a point of view without going back to the dark ages. If the Facebook page is working so well use it more. I am not looking for any one to agree with me. I like our format as it is. In a kind, gentle, and respectful manner I just disagree with you. -------Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well I appreciate your opinion. I just offered mine. I presented the information for discussion since it was stated the Board & volunteers don’t have the time to deal with managing part sales. I presented a method which would allow for it to happen without further participation.

I personally don’t have parts to sell. The few spares I do have are mostly for “just in case.”

I know there are a lot of folks like you & Joe & others who have parts and maybe some hard to find stuff. To me it makes sense.

I’m just discussing it because we could even limit it to people who have parts and tge forum could list their names and contact numbers.

It’s more about helping each other for me. Not about my desire to sell parts. And yes, a lot of people would prefer that we only use parts providers who are in the business of supporting the extended lives of Hodakas. For which I ask the question, why can’t everyone be considered?

I’ll continue to offer parts for a donation to the club. Maybe if you have more than you’ll ever use, you could do the same thing..... :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Because some generous folks have spent thousands and thousands of dollars to have a on hand supply of parts for our hodakas. To me they have the first rite to a sale. Off air --------------Clarence
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

I think Vic has made good points.

It's clear he isn't looking for money.

I take him at his word he's a loyal, repeat and happy customer of both Hodaka Parts Missouri & Idaho.

It seems to me Vic is interested in expanding Hodaka viability and bringing in more members by offering additional ways to keep bikes going.

If the status quo is the goal of the Hodaka Club officers that "own" the forum then end of discussion.

It should be clear in reading the initial posts in this thread the Hodaka Club initially thought otherwise.

It seems Vic's suggestions would get a few more bikes going, a bit more membership and a few less bikes parted out on eBay.

But again, if the status quo is what's wanted it's already there.

And maybe that's good enough.

As far as spending thousands of dollars, please don't remind me.

And definitely don't tell my WIFE.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

So what’s the deal on “For Sale” items??? Are we open for it now, or is the Toad MX breaking rules?

Just want to know & want to see consistency.

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

viclioce wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:41 am So what’s the deal on “For Sale” items??? Are we open for it now, or is the Toad MX breaking rules?

Just want to know & want to see consistency.
Nothing has changed Victor.
I have asked that rather than post a for sale ad on the forum, to post a link to your ad and conduct the sale activity on another platform. This can change in the future, but for now that is how it is.
Dale - Admin for the Hodaka Club Forum.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

I posted this on the thread in question, but it probably fits here better.
Annotation 2020-08-08 085033.png
Also, just for visibility, if you get locked out or something, unable to log in, down at the bottom of the page, there is a "contact us" button which will get you a contact form to contact the adminstrators. We are all volunteers, and don't sit on the board all day watching for issues, so please be patient if we don't get right back to you. we will. Thanks.
Annotation 2020-08-08 085421.png
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Topchop2

Post by Topchop2 »

New to Club an reading through all the old posts on "for sale". What is status as of today....does club have a place to post or look for parts for sale?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Topchop2 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:48 am New to Club an reading through all the old posts on "for sale". What is status as of today....does club have a place to post or look for parts for sale?
Welcome to the Hodaka Club Forum. We do not have a place on this forum for buying/selling. It is certainly okay to post a link pointing to items for sale on another platform (Craigslist, Ebay, etc...)

If you are looking for parts then I would recommend contacting one of the parts suppliers that deal in new and used parts. You can also put out feelers on the Hodaka Fan group page on Facebook.
Dale - Admin for the Hodaka Club Forum.