78’ Fuel Mix

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
danshale

78’ Fuel Mix

Post by danshale »

What is proper fuel mix ratio for modern day gas for the 78’ Dirt Squirt 80?

Update- picked up bike today, was an auction/flip so got incorrect info. Oil injector not disabled so late model must not be mix fuel. Thx for clarifying that.
Attachments
3EEB043D-BA27-47ED-938B-EC69FCBD7337.jpeg
Last edited by danshale on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Re: 78’ Fuel Mix

Post by matt glascock »

91 - 93 octane gasoline WITHOUT ALCOHOL mixed 32:1 with Yamalube R is a popular brew. Any good quality 2-stroke premix oil intended for high performance motorcycle engines (not Lawn Boys) will do. Don't mix brands. Since the DS 80 has an oil injection system, this assumes you've removed the oil pump and sealed off the housing and inlet port on the intake manifold. There is a recommended case modification applicable to the larger displacement Hodaka motors but I'm not sure if that applies to the DS 80. I'm sure a pro will weigh in on this issue.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Best to confirm if you're running oil injection or not. If you are the premix question becomes a non issue. If the pump has been disabled or removed you have to make sure the proper steps have been done to get lube where it needs to be.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Your bike appears to have the oil pump in place. The second cable exiting the throttle housing operates the pump. I like Yamalube S 2-stroke injector oil. As Dan pointed out, you must confirm function and proper adjustment of the oil injector system before running the bike or you will destroy your motor sure as shootin'. For this reason, some folks choose to disable the oil injection mechanism for the guarantee of proper lubrication from premix. There is a case modification involving drilling a passageway to provide lubrication to the left main shaft bearing. This is work for a pro. I sent you a PM on this subject.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Check the oil injection to see if it works, to be safe mix up a small batch of premix to keep lube in the motor while checking cables and adjustment. Use only enuff to do your checks, then go back to straight gas in the tank, you may foul out a plug or two, but you won't run the motor with out lube. Nice find by the way.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

It is not clear to me where the 80 Squirt injects its oil to. I see from the diagrams that there is a check valve and banjo bolt, and that the oil outlet line seems pretty short, but I can't see where the banjo bolt bolts to. Intake manifold?? If injector oil is injected into the intake stream behind the carb, it won't make any difference to the crank bearings whether there is a bleed hole on the dry side bearing or not, as far as switching from injector to premix because the feed path is identical both ways. If the oil is injected somewhere else and feeds the bearing directly, then switching to premix would pretty much demand a drip hole as there is in the other Hodaka designs.
Hydraulic Jack
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Gonna have to talk to a motor builder for that info.