Reed Cage & Manifold ID

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Reed Cage & Manifold ID

Post by JackM »

Can anyone ID this manifold w/reed valve? It fits a 24mm Mikuni carb, but only has 2 holes where it mounts to the cylinder. All the ones I've seen have a 4 hole mount. It was on the Ace 100b+ when I got it. Thanks.
001.JPG
taber hodaka

Re: Reed Cage & Manifold ID

Post by taber hodaka »

I would say it came out during the ace 90 era, it would also fit the ace 100, 100b and the ace 100b+. ----------Clarence
JackM

Post by JackM »

Clarence, what's got me puzzled, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that none of the bikes you mention came stock with a reed valve intake. Did Hodaka make these as a way to modify those cylinders with 2-bolt connections from piston port to reed valve induction?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

That is an after-market reed unit - and PABATCO sold 'em. I can't remember the brand name for sure . . . was it D&H? Enneywayeee, that unit was made to fit the models mentioned by Clarence.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

G.E.M. also made reeds with the 2 mounting holes, but I think theirs had GEM molded in the aluminum.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

We were all disappointed when the Super Rat came out without the reed. All hodaka racers were running reeds.. Hodaka was doing the majority of R&D perfecting the reed application and Yamaha or ?? got the patent and wanted big $$ for Hodaka to use it. I believe B&N, Gem, I would also think Webco and Tiger made one. Curt Alexander the machinist made a adapter for the ace 2 bolt, converting to the rat 4 bolt, I feel lucky to have one. I ramble ----------Clarence
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

I still have GEM set up new in the box
Rich
JackM

Post by JackM »

Ed, so if these were made to fit those model bikes mentioned above, did the cylinders have to be modified to get the most benefit from them or could they be used without cylinder modification?
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Boost ports should be cut in the cylinder.

Rich
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

The original Hodaka "Reed Carefully" technical bulletin available at the strictly Hodaka site gives lots of information about this.

On the same site is the bulletin about reed valve modification for the two bolt Ace cylinder.

The modification for the Ace is quite interesting & includes a modification for the battery box.

And suggests sawing off about half the chain guard.

Both of these files are under the heading of Technical at Strictly Hodaka's website as .PDF files. They can be saved and printed out if you like.

I did this modification to my Ace several years ago. Great project.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I think Bullfrog is correct, it does look like the D&H reed assembly. The GEM reed assembly was somewhat larger.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

The Hodaka reed carefully bulletin will work but there is better now . As Harry taught me

Wich
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

I agree that this looks like the DH reed. I believe these were sold by Hodaka dealers with Hodaka packaging. The one two bolt unit I bought came with some of the original Hodaka paper package.

Rich is correct, he has a boost port profile that is a significant enhancement over the Reed Carefully tech sheets.

I've tried to imply this in a previous post, but will be blunt now:

If you want to go fast, go to Rich's Tailored Porting.

I did and it worked for me. In spades.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Me too.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.