CW pistons for Super combat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Jack Elliott

CW pistons for Super combat

Post by Jack Elliott »

I am thinking of using Combat wombat pistons in my Super combat. i need to go to 40 thou oversize and there arent any SC pistons available at this size.
i understand that the Super combat pistons have a thicker wall than the Combats but otherwise except for a narrower piston port and no reed ports are the same?
I will need to cut windows in them, can anyone share there experiences of this? Do pistons modified like this last and perform close to the original SC pistons?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: CW pistons for Super combat

Post by Bullfrog »

With proper modifications, the Combat Wombat piston will indeed run fine in your Super Combat engine . . . but no it will not last as well as the Super Combat piston with thicker skirt walls. There was a reason the SC piston was re-configured. The concern is that when the Combat Wombat piston fails, it will likely be a catastrophic failure with the piston shedding pieces - which could be bad news for other engine parts (rod?).
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Thanks Ed
That makes sense. I might just have to wait till someone has one or maybe Paul will make another batch?
Those big square windows look like the ones on the early De Havilland Comet. If I do modify the CW piston will drill smaller round ones I think.The bike is not being raced so some performance loss for longevity would be OK.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Jack. You can also check with Rich (racerclam) and also with Bruce Young. Rich sold me a piston I needed & Bruce helped me find rings for the piston in a size which wasn't available from either Strictly Hodaka & Hodaka-Parts. There are contacts out there. Bruce can be reached at
+1 (208) 571-2823 And Rich can be reached at his website, http://richstaylordporting.com/index.html

Good luck & I hope you find what you need! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Thanks Victor
Will follow those leads up.
Just got back from a great weekend riding in the bush with other vintage dirt bikers (I am in a club called Vintage Trail Riders in NSW Australia)
Rode about a 100km on rough tracks on the trusty Wombat .