Special tools

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SScratch

Special tools

Post by SScratch »

I am replacing the shift control shaft springs on my Ace 100B+. Although I was able to get everything disassembled without any special tools, getting it all back together is another story. Any way to reassemble without spending another $100 on special tools? Anyone near Nashville want to help a brother out with a clutch holding tool and snap ring tool?
racerclam

Re: Special tools

Post by racerclam »

I assembled for years before I had the tool . Its do able I used vise grip needle nose pliers to hold the clip retainer down compressing the springs then spread the clip a bit and work it over the shaft with regular needle nose pliers and one its over squeeze it then release the retainer . Its pretty easy. But don't squeeze the retainer out of round with the needle nose.

Rich
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

46 years later and I still don't have a special tool for the shift shaft spring clip. Didn't know there was one until last year.
Hydraulic Jack
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The clutch-holding tool is multi-purpose. Not only does it hold the clutch, it also holds the primary gear, the flywheel/ alternator rotor and the output sprocket.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

Is it possible to buy a couple dozen of these snap rings locally or are they something special? I cannot seem to find any.
Alberta Mike

Post by Alberta Mike »

In my experience, after market snap rings (like the plastic box full you might pick up at Harbor Freight, etc) are essentially junk and are nowhere near the quality of OEM snap rings (or any other fasteners, etc). And the thickness can also be an issue even if the diameter might seem correct. OEM fasteners of this type can usually be reused, but usually not so with the crappy ones or if they get a little bend in them, etc.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The control shaft snap ring is a proprietary part. I don't think you'll find a suitable replacement anywhere other than the known Hodaka parts suppliers.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
SScratch

Post by SScratch »

Well that is disappointing.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . on the other hand . . . you can STILL get that itsy-bitsy and critical part. I think that is kind of neat.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

And I would add that after improvising and failing miserably with cut off drifts, needle nose pliers, and profanity, the snap ring tool is a must have. The 2,000 snap rings laying about all over my shop floor attests to how slick the thing works. I'd be interested in knowing how to predictably place the snap ring on the control shaft without it. Mine stays safely tucked away in that little skinny drawer at the top of my tool chest, but it would be nice to know the alternative technique. One never knows.
Thunderdogdownunder

Post by Thunderdogdownunder »

Just use a big flat washer with a hole slightly bigger than shaft .. place over top of shaft then press down compressing spring . My friend gave me the tip a few years ago .
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hmm...that's a sad indictment if my mechanical ingenuity. That never occurred to me. I do like the way the snap ring radially and symmetrically expands over the thick end of the taper before it drops off onto the control shaft but in a pinch, the maneuver you describe would turn the trick. I have an Ace 100 motor that I use for technical practice. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Doesn't Paul offer the snap ring tools? I remember Danny making some for him. If Paul is sold out, is there another resource for them? Does Danny ever make them on request? Just done thoughts here..... Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Stop by your local hardware store and browse through their selection of springs. Once you find a spring that is the same wire diameter and spring circumference, clip and discard the ends and start clipping rings off... insta-snap-ring.

You could probably cut the spring lengthwise with a dremel. That might be the easiest method. Either way you'll have an abundance of snap rings made of spring steel.

$0.02

Roger

P.S. It probably doesn't matter whether it is a compression or extension spring, but the extension spring will give you more clips.
Last edited by rlkarren on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good thinking on the home-rolled spring clips.

Bosch starters use the a similar clip/retainer on their Bendix shafts. 10mm dia, much heavier and a bear to install. I made a similar tool to the Hodie tool, and I bought the Hodie tool early on.
It's helpful but not essential, but at least I supported our local cottage industry.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Why. reinvent the wheel when the correct part is available? They cost very little.--------Clarence
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

But if it's Sat afternoon and you just sproinged your last circlip circlip trying to install it, you don't want to wait a week to order a factory part when the equivalent can be easily made.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I think it was a motto be prepared. ----Clarence
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

taber hodaka wrote:Why. reinvent the wheel when the correct part is available? They cost very little.--------Clarence
Because, if that's the only part you need, it's almost a $10 part when you figure in shipping. Not to mention the time it takes to arrive.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the reality of the situation. There are some cases where having the correct part is not important. Other times it is critical. I think a snap ring is one of the former, as long as it is functional.

$0.02

Roger